What is the most money you have seen bet on one set/game/match?

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Louis Sutfin

jay helfert said:
Maybe the biggest game otherwise was in the 60's at the Stardust, when Larry Perkins (Jack's cousin) played "St. Louis Suts". Sutton was a building contractor with big bucks. They played One Pocket and Suts would pull a bundle out of his pocket before each game and that was the bet. Maybe there was 8,400 in the bundle and before the game they would write down how much each person was betting, until the whole 8,400 was covered. Larry would bet so much, Jack would cover so much, Nicky Vach. would take this amount and so on until the whole wad was covered. This may take several minutes and then the game was played. Following the game they would pay off the same way. So much here, so much there until all bets were paid. Of course if Suts won, his partner Vernon would walk around collecting from everyone. Suts ended up losing over 100K in two days. That was a fortune in the 60's, maybe like losing a million today.

Jay - I knew "Sut" very well and there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye.
His name was Louis Sutfin and he loved action. He also loved to hustle kids & brokes by making them overbet their bankroll.
He would go to Vegas and lose 60 or 70 thousand and steal all the Sweet 'N Low packs he could find.
He once bought a "Money Making Machine" here in St. Louis for $100K.
I still see Vernon about 4 times a week and he is exactly the same as he was in the 60's & 70's.
I saw many of great games between Sut & - Squirrel, Cornbread, Long Beach, Bill Lawson, Earl Heisler, Clem, Ronnie, Vernon Elliot, etc, etc.
It seems like Vernon was always there.

Biggest Match - $300K in Detroit in the late 70's.

TY & GL, OHB

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
in the 90's

I saw a match between francisco Galindo and Johnny Archer for ten grand SET. Francisco got the eight and ended up thirty ahead...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
Jay - I knew "Sut" very well and there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye.
His name was Louis Sutfin and he loved action. He also loved to hustle kids & brokes by making them overbet their bankroll.
He would go to Vegas and lose 60 or 70 thousand and steal all the Sweet 'N Low packs he could find.
He once bought a "Money Making Machine" here in St. Louis for $100K.
I still see Vernon about 4 times a week and he is exactly the same as he was in the 60's & 70's.
I saw many of great games between Sut & - Squirrel, Cornbread, Long Beach, Bill Lawson, Earl Heisler, Clem, Ronnie, Vernon Elliot, etc, etc.
It seems like Vernon was always there.

Biggest Match - $300K in Detroit in the late 70's.

TY & GL, OHB

Hey Tom, Very cool. I love the one about Suts buying a "money making" machine. He fell for that scam. I vaguely remember hearing about him hustling kids back in St. Louis. You know Vernon was in with the guy who brought the scam One Pocket game to Johnson City in the mid 60's. You remember with 21 balls (six balls in the back row). They robbed everyone until Beenie and Harold Worst busted the guy. Some games Harold had to run 17 or 18 of the balls in one pocket to win and he did it. The most amazing thing I ever saw.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was last night;

Race to seven eight ball for $100. That by far is them most that I have seen and have been aware of. This, of course, is subject to change. Quickly I would think.