What is the reason behind your collection?

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought my first custom cue 15 or so years ago. An ebony PJ Jacoby with an ivory joint and a gold coin in the butt. When I bought it, I wasn't searching for any cue in particular, hell I didn't really know custom cue makers at the time, but I bought the cue that played best for me. I sold that cue years ago, and have had countless cues through out the years, though I've somehow managed to hold on to 10 or so cues. I started thinking about how my "collection" evolved and I realized something rather quickly. All of my cues have been found, I never searched for a particular builder, except for a Runde that I had and sold years ago. All of the cues I have presently, I find aesthetically pleasing, and I found that I have a strong preference for birdseye.

I'm curios as to what is the reason behind your collection?

xhHdoLl.jpg

Sowder, Schrager, Viking, Huebler, McDermott, Schon, unknown, Dufferin, Palmer, Palmer, Rich, Unknown, Unknown

YuxBp1i.jpg

Geosnookery

I’ve used the same cue for snooker and pool for 14 years. Good for another 14.

However, my reason is opportunity. Local thrift store sells cues for a $7. Could be a $10 or $1000 cue. Ball sets for $10. Cases for $5. Can’t pass up on them, After 20 or so cues I guess it’s a ‘collection’.

My favourite Snooker and Pool cues are Dufferins and older British models. I have no interest in value.

I keep about 15 or so then give a cue and case to younger players or newbies.

Attachments

• 0C074101-F220-4217-9DF0-A842C3E0B344.jpeg
    0C074101-F220-4217-9DF0-A842C3E0B344.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 198

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i thought i would make money on it besides have cues i like to play with
i was wrong about making money

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only have 3 in my collection. But here goes:

These cues are what remain from the many instruments I've bought and sold over the years. The main reason I kept them is playability. I don't keep anything that doesn't play how I like. These all have good balance or unique hit. Another reason these are keepers is that they all represent different cuemaking construction techniques; full splice sneaky, traditional construction with box inlays/old school design, solid full length no A joint. All different joint materials, different wraps, bumpers, but similar in color palette. One is production, one is full custom, and one is garage built sneaky by me. The Adam represents the first real cue I bought ( JR-9), then later sold. This one is even fancier - JR12.. The sneaky is a purple heart Dufferin from a pool hall I worked at. Humble, simple, with a southwest inspiration. The Hagan is just badass. Completely different from anything else you'll see.
63ca8b48ee6eb8e619705a34ad94ce90.jpg
33c752710c23c09be2326af5e311c903.jpg
111c150a84e4c565ea0485d07992dfe6.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I don't know that you would call mine a collection either but I enjoy the process of designing something unique and working with a builder to have the design come to fruition. I choose cue makers whose work I like and who I think can help elevate the design in my head, or come up with something I know I'll love. These are the two I currently have:

98A527CD-AB26-484B-9E59-A7201501A0BA_1_201_a.jpeg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I started serious collecting to try and get one cue from each hall of fame cue maker.

Reactions: bbb

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I started collecting Hueblers because I really liked them. After a time, I branched out to other makers.
Basically, I like the craftsmanship, the different materials, and enjoy playing with different cues.

fromthebeginnin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i thought i would make money on it besides have cues i like to play with
i was wrong about making money
LOL, I did the same in the late 90's early 2000's, luckily I got out of all my cue's except for a couple of Balabushka's, Mottey's and 3 Gus cue's. The one's I keep are pretty special and as John Wright once told me "they are works of art and someday people will realize that".
Happy Holidays!

Reactions: bbb

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

These cues are what remain from the many instruments I've bought and sold over the years. The main reason I kept them is playability. I don't keep anything that doesn't play how I like. These all have good balance or unique hit. Another reason these are keepers is that they all represent different cuemaking construction techniques; full splice sneaky, traditional construction with box inlays/old school design, solid full length no A joint. All different joint materials, different wraps, bumpers, but similar in color palette. One is production, one is full custom, and one is garage built sneaky by me. The Adam represents the first real cue I bought ( JR-9), then later sold. This one is even fancier - JR12.. The sneaky is a purple heart Dufferin from a pool hall I worked at. Humble, simple, with a southwest inspiration. The Hagan is just badass. Completely different from anything else you'll see.

Buddy i would love to buy the hagan if you decided you would part with it....

tabi1

Registered
I don't know that you would call mine a collection either but I enjoy the process of designing something unique and working with a builder to have the design come to fruition. I choose cue makers whose work I like and who I think can help elevate the design in my head, or come up with something I know I'll love. These are the two I currently have:

View attachment 578792
Looks like the bottom is a Shelby Williams which is beautiful, but what about the one on the top? Who is that made by?

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Looks like the bottom is a Shelby Williams which is beautiful, but what about the one on the top? Who is that made by?
The bottom is, indeed, a Shelby Custom Cue. The top cue is a James M White (JMW) cue.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I collect what I like. I was a cue flipper for years and made enough to fund the collection I own now. I have widdled it down to what I call my "keepers". The BHQ was a cue made by my friend Brent. The Pfd I have was one I got for free because I worked on Pool Book doing some writing. I like them and if I wanted to sell any of them, I think they wouldnt be hard to sell. Neither of my daughters want them, so if my grandsons dont want them I will pass them along to friends.

Attachments

• IMG_0222 (3).jpg
    IMG_0222 (3).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 268

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something to pass along to my children that’s unique since every cue, except my Palmer, is a one of a kind design pool cue.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the Pool Book?
Billiards Yearbook 1999 Carl Hungness Publishing Hard Cover Collectors Book 9780915088850 | eBay

I had a copy but have probably misplaced it. I should pick up another.

I did most of the players interviews, and Carl asked me if I wanted money or credits from cue makers on a new cue. The cue makers paid with pool cue credits for advertisement in book. I didnt need the money so I could have either a Samsara cue or a Pfd cue. That was a no brainer for me as I was and still am a big fan of Paul.

Money comes and goes, but getting that cue meant something to me will always remain one of my "keepers"

Ken

eddieautomatic

Temple of Pool Founder
I started playing pool in 1964 at age 8, but couldn't afford my own cue until much later. Most of my cues were impulse purchases. I began based purely on cuemaker name or appearance. Later on I bought cues wanting to test the differences in exotic woods. More recently I want cues that are light weight and I've removed every possible weight bolt from every cue I own. I like having variety available is the current 'reason' for my collection. All of my cues are playing cues, not really collectibles. If I like a certain cuemaker's work, I'll buy 2 or 3. I have multiple Carmelis, SugarTrees and McDaniels. I would buy more vintage cues, but only for aesthetic purposes; Most older cues are way too heavy for me. I prefer 17.5 to 17.7 oz cues now. Why? I think the lighter weight prevents hitting shots too hard (for me). That could change tomorrow! My collection allows choices.

1609541345751.png

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am sure you know already but that Hagan cue is the nutz.

Ken