What is this Diamond Black label?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a Diamond "Professional", not the "Pro-Am". It comes completely apart like a GC and is 3 piece slate, so you can fit it anywhere. It was Diamond's main model before they came out with the Pro-Am. Its actually still available new today, with some updated corners and legs, and the leveling system introduced with the Pro-Am.

The black label doesn't mean anything. Years ago the standard label was red, but you could get black as an option. But it does not mean any specs are different. This table will play exactly like a red label table, unless the owner modified it over the years. It won't have the new wood angles that the Blue label signifies.

This table looks to have the solid oak rails, (real wood), and not the dynawood phenolic impregranted rails.

If you like the way older Diamond's play, this will be what you are used to. If you like the way GC's play, then this will be quite different.

I'm not a table mechanic for the record, just a pool enthusiast.

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
Its funny this name came up, this Diamond’s Black Label prototype just got delivered to Roys Basement this past week, obviously not the same table but the name is new and alive again.

0I5jXtD.jpg
240rLrR.jpg

dchan320

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny this name came up, this Diamond’s Black Label prototype just got delivered to Roy's Basement this past week, obviously not the same table but the name is new and alive again.

I read that on Roy's FB page as well. The pocket width at the lip is 4 1/8" - quite a reduction from the pro-cut.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a Diamond "Professional", not the "Pro-Am". It comes completely apart like a GC and is 3 piece slate, so you can fit it anywhere. It was Diamond's main model before they came out with the Pro-Am. Its actually still available new today, with some updated corners and legs, and the leveling system introduced with the Pro-Am.

The black label doesn't mean anything. Years ago the standard label was red, but you could get black as an option. But it does not mean any specs are different. This table will play exactly like a red label table, unless the owner modified it over the years. It won't have the new wood angles that the Blue label signifies.

This table looks to have the solid oak rails, (real wood), and not the dynawood phenolic impregranted rails.

If you like the way older Diamond's play, this will be what you are used to. If you like the way GC's play, then this will be quite different.

I'm not a table mechanic for the record, just a pool enthusiast.

Since when did a professional come with a roll
Down option?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roy's new table...neato burrito.
Hole for the rack, trays for 1p that separate each side without need for player to touch them...tell me it has a bridge holder too?

But why the different color legs? If you goin' blackout, go blackout.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hole for the rack, trays for 1p that separate each side without need for player to touch them...tell me it has a bridge holder too?

All Pro-Ams have rack slots but i really like that padded storage box below. Could easily be added to any ProAm . And yes, the whole shebang outta be black.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Always a disclaimer I could be wrong--- I believe them legs are from the original table that has always been in the basement.

To make this a "black label", I believe they just removed the top railings, modified the ball return area,, and reinstalled the new "black label" railings (which includes the 4.125 corner pockets).

I may be wrong, but I think I may be right.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always a disclaimer I could be wrong--- I believe them legs are from the original table that has always been in the basement.

To make this a "black label", I believe they just removed the top railings, modified the ball return area,, and reinstalled the new "black label" railings (which includes the 4.125 corner pockets).

I may be wrong, but I think I may be right.
I see, said the blind man.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone earlier said the black label would play like the old red label.
I would hope that is not the case ! The rails on the red label played terrible.
They banked very 'short' and the blue label was meant to fix that.
Diamonds always bank 'short compared to GC rails.
4 1/8 pockets are not conducive to 9-10 ball play.
The TAR table was 4 1/8 for a while and everyone agreed it was too tight,
Even Shane. They went back to 4 1/2 pockets.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone earlier said the black label would play like the old red label.
I would hope that is not the case ! The rails on the red label played terrible.
They banked very 'short' and the blue label was meant to fix that.
Diamonds always bank 'short compared to GC rails.
4 1/8 pockets are not conducive to 9-10 ball play.
The TAR table was 4 1/8 for a while and everyone agreed it was too tight,
Even Shane. They went back to 4 1/2 pockets.

I don't like how any Diamond banks compared to the GC, even though it's not what I would call bad, the GC just seemed to bank more true, it feels better to bank on a GC.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old red label tables had flaws with the pocket openings- not just short banking rails. I have played on some older red labels- with 4 1/2 inch pockets- there is just something wrong with how the pockets accept properly stuck balls down the rails. The ability to REASONABLY play balls down any of the rails with any amount of speed is NOT REASONABLE IMO - and I shoot a fairly good game.

Played some 14.1 the past 2 weeks on a red label- I'm pretty much done with them - trying to go into stacks off the rails on secondary break out shots and pocketing the OB is sheer torture. I am willing to put up $1,000 bet against any pro or amateur running 100 balls during a 3 hour period on these tables that I have played on here in SW Florida. The run needs to be completed within the 3 hour period and money needs to be posted. You play the table and balls just as they are presented at the room - look me up here in SW FL. if you have an interest.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old red label tables had flaws with the pocket openings- not just short banking rails. I have played on some older red labels- with 4 1/2 inch pockets- there is just something wrong with how the pockets accept properly stuck balls down the rails. The ability to REASONABLY play balls down any of the rails with any amount of speed is NOT REASONABLE IMO - and I shoot a fairly good game.

Played some 14.1 the past 2 weeks on a red label- I'm pretty much done with them - trying to go into stacks off the rails on secondary break out shots and pocketing the OB is sheer torture. I am willing to put up $1,000 bet against any pro or amateur running 100 balls during a 3 hour period on these tables that I have played on here in SW Florida. The run needs to be completed within the 3 hour period and money needs to be posted. You play the table and balls just as they are presented at the room - look me up here in SW FL. if you have an interest.
I heard Alex played some pretty good 1P on those crappy Red Labels at Diamond Billiards. But I do agree the Reds suck big time.