What is your Favorite Tip flavor at the moment

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Favorite Tip… be a thinker not a stinker. Great tip. As for pool have been using Triangle. No complaints…. And cheap

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Triangle.
just for kicks I had a Sniper put on one of my shafts and the only difference was the sniper was twice the money of a triangle.
I tried a couple of them years ago. Just to see what they were all about. I liked them at first then both times they got very very hard after a 40-50 hours of use. They seemed to compress and harden up. I don’t have a lot of power and was playing mostly 1P so it wasn’t due to shooting hard. Possibly that issue has been resolved since I used them. When they were new-they were nice.

Hello ,

I post this every once in a while. I was curious as to what tip you are currently into and what you like about it. I have used Triangle for the last few years but an having a Kamui black clear pad installed this go around. I don’t get out very often and wanted to see what the current favorite is at the moment. Thanks
Been hey Moori medium guy for over ten years now

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of the who knows how many cues i've gotten from you the description has always been spot on and the tips perfect

smart $$$ says i've been trimming tips longer than you and the magic fails me more often than not

that said my tip de jour are 14mm elk masters.

somewhat taller than 13's and once you trim the sides a couple of times they get real playable

i don't trim much off the crown, if it's a good tip (yep, there's always that) you'll know when it's broken in
Any advice on picking a good elkmaster?

For a while I've been really curious to see what kind of tip my stroke would shape without the use of pressing or burnishing.

Other than trimming off the excess mushroom and a few initial shapings, Id just let my game dictate the shape of the tip.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

For a while I've been really curious to see what kind of tip my stroke would shape without the use of pressing or burnishing.

Other than trimming off the excess mushroom and a few initial shapings, Id just let my game dictate the shape of the tip.
i'm not sure if it's good advice, but, here goes:

press your thumbnail into the crown, some will feel harder than others

drop them from a height of apprx 5" onto a hardwood table, i have better luck with those that make a higher pitched sound

after installed apprx 50% make the cut, however,a good one will last longer than i expected esp. if you "prick" the crown or gently use rough grit sand paper when necessary

AVOID heating the tip

chenjy9

Pick the tallest one to install and then bang 100 balls hard with it.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

I think when you surface the bottom of the tip if the leather is consistently colored it is likely a good tip. They are light gray. If you see color variations they are usually the ones that swell like crazy when soaked in milk for duds. Pressing fixes them but they will not have the "magic" of the uniform colored ones. I'd not use a non-uniform one if I were not pressing it.

I also like to bounce a screwdriver on the tips and see how they feel and sound. Softer tips will be duller sounding, harder ones will be more high pitched and bounce more. The real magic ones bounce very well and sound tinky with the screwdriver.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think when you surface the bottom of the tip if the leather is consistently colored it is likely a good tip. They are light gray. If you see color variations they are usually the ones that swell like crazy when soaked in milk for duds. Pressing fixes them but they will not have the "magic" of the uniform colored ones. I'd not use a non-uniform one if I were not pressing it.

I also like to bounce a screwdriver on the tips and see how they feel and sound. Softer tips will be duller sounding, harder ones will be more high pitched and bounce more. The real magic ones bounce very well and sound tinky with the screwdriver.
Phillips head or Flat screwdriver?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Phillips head or Flat screwdriver?
I actually use a phillips on the point of it, but angled a bit. There's not really any wrong or right answer though. An awl might show more as it's a smaller area with less variation. I suppose either could work, but my cheapie portable drill based sharpshooter "lathe" uses a phillips to tighten the rollers so it's always on my workbench.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
LePro then Elk Master. The stiffer shafts get an Elky. Think I got a really good LePro on my player yesterday. A tip pic almost doesn’t work on it-yet.👍😉

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use a selected elkmaster. I might dud it or not. When I dud a tip I just bring it back to the same height it was before the milk caused it to swell. Gives me maybe a soft to medium soft, never put a hardness tester on it. A new shaft came with a sniper, I don't like it. Miscues are unheard of with the elkmaster, I miscue a few times a session with the sniper. Might be the tip, might be the cf shaft. A sample of one sniper and I have used the elkmasters forever, since the early eighties when I first got a dud from Jensen Cues. As far as I know he invented the dud. Anyway, my sampling of one tip on a shaft I have only played a hundred hours or so isn't an overall indictment of the sniper, haven't been pleased with my results with one tip on one shaft. When I am in the mood to play with tips I will put an elkmaster on the CF shaft. Moving right now so it is low priority.

Hu