What is your pre game procedure for a big pool match?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Procedure, meaning your warm up or getting in stroke things that you do before the pool match? I like to throw the balls out on the table and just hit the balls. If the match is 9 ball. And if it is one pocket, I like to put all of the balls on the table and shoot them all in one pocket. Thanks for your input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I start with a couple of easy shots! When I finish drinking them , I will shoot a couple of easy shots! :)

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to use self talk, like i was a fighter. I can not play if I am intimidated or have too much respect for my opponent. I like the character that mister T played in Rocky. .. pool is a mental battle with invisible swords. I psych myself up. and I prepare for a ass whooping. In old times soldiers would dig there grave before battle u got to be ready to lose. This is the kind of stuff most people think i go over the top with. I get really intimated watching a strong player even if i beat him in the past it is amazing what we can do on a pool table ....

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Warm up with stop shots & table speed shots. Tell myself to relax.
Also,I try to rest before and not eat too much food before the match.....that knocks me out.

Last edited:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i line up 8 balls in the middle of the table and then make straight in shots, 4 in each corner, then 4 balls 3/4 way down the table and do those as straight in shots in each corner. then throw out 5 balls and "run them out" in numerical order, then throw out all the balls and run the rack out (start with ball in hand). if i miss a shot i start over, when i have run the rack once, i am ready to play! :thumbup: (all this is 30 mnutes or so)

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
Procedure, meaning your warm up or getting in stroke things that you do before the pool match? I like to throw the balls out on the table and just hit the balls. If the match is 9 ball. And if it is one pocket, I like to put all of the balls on the table and shoot them all in one pocket. Thanks for your input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.
for me 10 minutes of: break, take ball in hand and try to run out ,plus 10 min playing safeties,kicks and bank shots(all the above before i play 10ball/9ball/rotation-for 14.1 or one pocket i play with the ghost for 15 minutes)

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Practice routine shots and hit a few short and long banks to see how the table is playing. Then break a few racks with different speeds and force to see how the balls spread. Then I zone in and get extremely focused and concertrated on the precise hit on the cueball. Don't really worry about my opponent or their skill set. If they are a weak player or a world beater I always go at it full on and never take one shot for granted....

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.
Good question. So, I'll put a link to an answer that I gave 5 years ago.

How I Get Ready for a Big Tournament

Hope that helped,

Freddie <~~~ needs to start the routine back up

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I hit a few lags to get a feel for the speed, and maybe a few firm shots to see what the pocket will accept and what it won't. I try not to warm up too much, I have a limited amount of focus and I don't want to waste it just hitting balls.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
For a big tournament I start a week ahead. I will not gamble or do anything competative for the entire week. I will follow a regimented practice routine that tapers off in intensity the last few days. The night before I will go to the venue and play left handed all evening to get a feel for the tables and yet not fatigue my primary shooting arm. The morning of the competition I will get there early and hit balls until I feel l have found my focus. Once my match is called up I will have available a glass of water, a beer and a cup of coffee to sip from depending on which direction I need to go.:cool:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Hmmm.....

I like to start with screwing my cues together. Then I chalk them.

Whenever I try and play without doing that , it's ended poorly.