What Makes a Good Cue? A Great Cue?

MBL

Registered

Made it out today with my Helmstetter 86-15. Not terrible. I'd like it to be lighter I think.
Tim
MBL

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Deanoc.....Join The Bob Owen Project

Dean Campbell just posted that he's doing a similar project like the one underway with Jerry Rauenzahn. There'll be 10 buyers .....not more and no less.
Every buyer gets to pick his own Bushka design.....and the cue gets made for a flat rate because of the group purchase.

I think the price is around $1600 but you get to say what the cue has.....ivory joint.....or steel piloted....you pick. Want ivory ferrules, no addt'l charge...
leather wrap....same thing. Provide Bob with a cue photo and he'll build you that cue and include any changes you might want.....for the flat rate.

Now let me tell you about Bob Owen. He's one of the nicest men you'll ever become acquainted with and his cue-making is extraordinarily good. I should
know since I have a custom he completed for me this past summer. Appearing below are pics of the cue Bob made for me......it's a dandy and plays amazing.

There's some really nice playing cues in my collection and I'm here to tell you the cue Bob made for me could be the best hitting cue I own. Bob produced it
exactly the way I wanted and bent over backwards to make my design as I sketched it out and also came up with some great suggestions to tweak it.

Dean pioneered this idea with the Jerry Rauenzahn Bushka Project last May and he offering the same deal with a cue-maker I adore. You will not be disappointed
if you join Dean's group. I got in on the project with Jerry and it's hard to resist not ordering another cue from Bob......so if anyone out there is undecided about
ordering a custom cue, here's the chance to get a cue made to your exact specs and you can pay it off on an installment program Dean will arrange with Bob. So if
you've been waiting for the right moment, well, "Carpe Diem". It will take 7-10 months to get your cue so there's ample time to make installment payments.

Matt B.

Attachments

• Forearm (2).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Forearm.jpg
    Forearm.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 265
  • Great Veneers.jpg
    Great Veneers.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 269
  • My Cue (Forearm).jpg
    My Cue (Forearm).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Propellor Cue Butt Sleeve.jpg
    Propellor Cue Butt Sleeve.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
After having time to think about this, I belive:
A good cue is one that you can play a good game with.
A great cue is one that you really enjoy playing with.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good cue great cue
what we have is words with no definition

suppose we asked the same for watches?good watch great watch

telling time is the purpose of a watch,but who would be so foolish to think a rolex would keep better time than a seiko

yet the buyers if rolex often see profits,why is this?

one thing is sure,its not telling time

art,beauty,history,love of the style,perhaps
we all know some cues attract collectors
some don't

some might be so beautiful and feel so good that we speculate
on the future value,just like art or other items

40 fords,57 chevys,67 shelby,59 cadillac
Balabushkas,Szambotis,and SouthWest cues

the thing that i like is picking new or young artist,buying what i like
and trying to catch lightning in a jar

to talk about the player really misses the point.it would be like thinking that owning a picasso would make me an artist

here are the names of who i think make cues that look and play perfect and will one day be as valuable as the big 3

Larry Vigas,Jake Hulcy,Bob Owen,Jerry Rauenzahn

I like the looks and play and my experience tells me they are good to play with now.
and should be great investments

I was buying from George in the 50s,
Gus in the 80s,Barry in the 90s till now,and South west since they were $175

I still believe in these cues,but these 4 new guys allow a fella with a reasonable or even small budget to turn a itsy bitsy initial investment into a tidy profit while enjoying the ride

just one guys opinion,but i do have a track record
dean

Last edited:

MBL

Registered
Down the line I think a custom job may be something to think about, I'm only getting back into this after a bunch of years away. Once I get my stroke back and figure out something regular, I'll likely look into that more.
Tim
MBL

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two hands is the answer.The first hand is by the cue maker was building it and the second one is by the guy who will play with it.
Seems logical,doesn't ???
:cool::cool::cool:

Logical? If a one-armed cuemaker and a one-armed pool player are the features of the story...

Or I guess those 2 people could actually the same person. :shrug:

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
To me, a great cue is a combination of tolerance and strength.
It has to give when striking the cue ball off center....
...but it has to keep snapping back straight....and quickly.

These qualities can be found in a house cue or a cheap two-piece.
....but the easiest way to get it is to buy a cue made by a great cuemaker....
...who took a long time to make it...especially the shafts.

You're on the right track here because you are describing the characteristics on a good pool shaft. However, even in a custom shop, the shaft is sort of a production task...since most cue builders build every shaft in their shop the same way. Just to have many cue buyers replace that shaft with a production shaft (ie: Predator, OB, Tiger) because they fear a gaming changing event or they do not want to devalue a custom cue by chalking the original shaft(s).