What makes a Worsted cloth Worsted?

Robotron

Hi guys

Maybe this is an obvious question, but...

What makes a Worsted cloth Worsted? Is it just the type of weave, or it it the % of wool mix, or something else?

Can you physically tell by looking at a cloth whether it is Worsted or not?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Worsted cloth is a finer weave and has very little nap (single fibers sticking out). In comparison with non-worsted, it's like the difference between a flannel shirt and a cotton dress shirt. I think the individual threads are also twisted tighter.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys

Maybe this is an obvious question, but...

What makes a Worsted cloth Worsted? Is it just the type of weave, or it it the % of wool mix, or something else?

Can you physically tell by looking at a cloth whether it is Worsted or not?

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before the wool fiber is spun into thread it is processed to make the fibers line up parallel, then it is combed to remove the shorter fibers.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are technical differences and there are degrees of "napness" or "worstedness". Essentially though snooker tables and English pool tables have a nap and need to be brushed in one direction (from the baulk end towards the black spot). "American" pool tables usually, and ideally, are worsted in the sense that they don't have a nap - so the balls behave the same way regardless of the direction they are moving in.

English pool at the professional level has moved towards lightly napped "speed cloths" and is probably headed towards 100% napped cloths (along with a move to "international pool rules") as it suits the game better. The nap is such an integral part of snooker that it will stick around.

Having said all this, I've played English pool on "ice rinks" and American pool on tables where a perfect long pot at a slow speed misses by a full pocket.

Robotron

I read about 1/4 of it to be honest. It's a big article!! :)

I found the dictionary definition

wor·sted
/ˈwo͝ostid,ˈwərstid/

noun

noun: worsted; plural noun: worsteds; noun: worsted yarn; plural noun: worsted yarns

a fine smooth yarn spun from combed long-staple wool.
fabric made from worsted yarn, having a close-textured surface with no nap.
"a worsted suit"

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...I like that,
'go'n to suit my table today'

suits, tailors, billiards....?

...yeah that fits