What Pool Table Lighting Would You Like to See ... ?

Strange_Days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am an avid pool player and just bought into a company that makes LED lighting so I thought it would be good idea to merge the two and create some cool new pool table lighting options. I figure what better place to start than here on AzBilliards :)

We have started making several pool table lights using LED lighting in interesting ways. We make accent lights and a range of lights for many different uses and can basically make anything as long as the idea is there. Right now we are working on cool room accent lighting above your table, and ways to connect your phone for instant recording options.

So, I'm asking you guys ...

• What would you like to see in a pool table light?
• What is most important? (Looks, even lighting, controlling glare, anything else)
• Any products that you want but can't afford? (We have some unique production capabilities that can help us control cost)
• Anything you think would be great idea that you just can't find?

I'm really keen to really improve the availability of good pool table lighting affordably. There seems to be a lot of the same stuff floating around for many years and it hasn't kept up with the times. I play daily and light quality is #1 priority for me and can be the difference in a good match or a poor experience.

We have several cool ideas which are in production already which I will be introducing with an AzBilliards member discount when they come out first because AzBilliards members have been so helpful for many years as I learned to fix then make my own cues, and through my own progress in playing. If anyone shares a great idea and we make the light, I'll send you one for free when it is made.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made this for myself when getting my new 8' table. Used 3 -2x2 panels, built a simple box, and put an egg crate diffuser under for zero glare. I'm all in for about $170, but I was fortunate as I have a woodshop at home.
Something similar, with the light, box, and diffuser ready made, with possibly a variety of finishes, for a fair price, for pool players and billiard establishments would be really nice. It's simple construction, and fantastic lighting. I would have 2 options, 2x6 for 8' and smaller, and 2x8 for 9' and above. What's nice is that it is light weight, and great lighting, and quite honestly a much nicer finished look than some of the bare flat panels sold. Also with the egg crate diffuser, there is no glare in your eyes. Actual light area is about 6'3" x 2' with the spacers between the 3 2x2 panels. If I were to do it again, I would actually space the panels apart a little further, so that overall length was apx 6' 8" or so, as that light gap would fill in fine.

Attachments

• 20220801_115208.jpg
    20220801_115208.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 92

Strange_Days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made this for myself when getting my new 8' table. Used 3 -2x2 panels, built a simple box, and put an egg crate diffuser under for zero glare. I'm all in for about $170, but I was fortunate as I have a woodshop at home.
Something similar, with the light, box, and diffuser ready made, with possibly a variety of finishes, for a fair price, for pool players and billiard establishments would be really nice. It's simple construction, and fantastic lighting. I would have 2 options, 2x6 for 8' and smaller, and 2x8 for 9' and above. What's nice is that it is light weight, and great lighting, and quite honestly a much nicer finished look than some of the bare flat panels sold. Also with the egg crate diffuser, there is no glare in your eyes. Actual light area is about 6'3" x 2' with the spacers between the 3 2x2 panels. If I were to do it again, I would actually space the panels apart a little further, so that overall length was apx 6' 8" or so, as that light gap would fill in fine.
These are great recommendations and I love your light. A simple design that focuses on light quality is something that is not that easy to find in my experience or very expensive. I think we will be able to manufacture and sell something similar to this in the vicinity of $250-$300 but we still have a lot of R&D to do before I can be sure.

tomatoshooter

We are looking at these. There is a patent which we need to be careful not to infringe upon but the design is indeed awesome!
It didn't occur to me that the design was patented. I didn't realize making it larger and hanging it over a pool table constituted novelty and non-obviousness but I have heard many patents would not be considered useful, non-obvious, and novel.

Here's a non pool table version

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really wanted to do a cherry finish, to match my table, but only had a couple days to build the light as we took the old table out just a couple days before installing the new one, and I wanted the light up before setting the table up. There just wasn't enough time to wait for the stain to dry, then wait for a couple coats of finish to dry, so I just painted it. My fault for waiting too long to start the project, but still happy with the way it turned out.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Something I'm interested in is infrared heaters. In theory an infrared heater with the correct output (positioned in the lighting unit and using the same power supply) could heat a table in the same manner as a heated-slate set-up, but cheaper and with easier installation.
You can also get combination bulbs that do light and infrared heat. Something like that tailored to pool would be an instant fix for a heated table.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Something I'm interested in is infrared heaters. In theory an infrared heater with the correct output (positioned in the lighting unit and using the same power supply) could heat a table in the same manner as a heated-slate set-up, but cheaper and with easier installation.
You can also get combination bulbs that do light and infrared heat. Something like that tailored to pool would be an instant fix for a heated table.
Could or might it dry out the cushion?

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
@Island Drive @Black-Balled All valid concerns. It would need a lot of work to get it right in practice, if it would work. But at the very least a low and steady temperature, and allowing it to run for a while before play, could have a reasonable effect on the table. There are lots of more complex options too, of course.

Strange_Days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It didn't occur to me that the design was patented. I didn't realize making it larger and hanging it over a pool table constituted novelty and non-obviousness but I have heard many patents would not be considered useful, non-obvious, and novel.

Here's a non pool table version
A lot of the patent claims pertain to the mechanisms to hold cameras and lights but some of the claims are based on the variance of light across the table when checked with a light meter (i.e; being consistently lit), and also to do with the interior shape of the aluminum housing.

Its all very confusing which is why you need to pay patent lawyers $300-500 an hour to dissect these things.

Strange_Days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table lighting that does Not light the surrounding walls.

I prefer a light that has no glare to anyone sitting on a bar stool.

Personally I prefer a light that separates the table from the surrounding room.
I'm seeing this as a consistent message. People want the table lit up but not anything else. This is great to know and not something I would have really focused on. Thanks!

tomatoshooter

A lot of the patent claims pertain to the mechanisms to hold cameras and lights but some of the claims are based on the variance of light across the table when checked with a light meter (i.e; being consistently lit), and also to do with the interior shape of the aluminum housing.

Its all very confusing which is why you need to pay patent lawyers $300-500 an hour to dissect these things.
I can see the aluminum housing's shape being a legitimate patent, but evenly spread light? I thought that was the goal of nearly all light. I guess I'm beating a dead horse here, I just find patent law to be a bit infuriating at times.
I'm seeing this as a consistent message. People want the table lit up but not anything else. This is great to know and not something I would have really focused on. Thanks!
I actually like the light to spread beyond the table if I want to look at my tip. I haven't noticed any lights that have unnecessary glare unless the scoring beads are in a location that necessitates looking at the light.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
@Island Drive @Black-Balled All valid concerns. It would need a lot of work to get it right in practice, if it would work. But at the very least a low and steady temperature, and allowing it to run for a while before play, could have a reasonable effect on the table. There are lots of more complex options too, of course.
I purchased this.
Love it 400 watts.
A vertical flat panel oil filled heater, on a stand about 1.5'' thick, guessing 30x20''.
I put this under-table middle and leave on. As inexpensive as a light bulb on all the time.

NewAir Portable Under Desk Heater AH-400​