What shall I buy? Espiritu or Carmeli

tommy84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just thinking about getting a mid-range cue sooner or later as I'm not too happy with the look of my Mezz Z606. It's a great hitting cue for sure, even more after Eurowest installed an Elforyn ferrule on one of my WD700's, but every time I look at the cue I notice the very big CNC radii of the inlay work:(
Well, that's if you buy a $700 cue

So I was looking around various shops and really liked the Carmeli 404 and the Espiritu RE052
Carmeli: http://www.budgetcues.com/carmeli-pool-cue-ac404.htm
Espiritu: http://www.budgetcues.com/russ-espiritu-pool-cue-re502.htm

How do you guys rate the playablity and the overall finish of the cues?
Shame the Carmeli has no ivory joint, but it looks hot.

How is the performance of the shafts. I don't want a marketing department low deflection shaft anymore. Solid wood with ivory ferrule and a Sniper tip should do the trick pretty well if the cuemaker is able to do good shafts like Vollmer or Eurowest can do. How are Carmeli and Espiritu shafts?

gmcole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with both and , of the 2, prefer the Carmeli. However, they both were built to high standards and hit solid. I would encourage you to try both of them before buying one because my opinion means very little compared to yours.
good luck-jeff

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buying at close to retail is a little expensive. If you don't mind secondhand, there are some wonderful cues in the buy and sell section that sell for a great price. Beautiful inlays, ringwork, points, etc, and are the same price, if not cheaper than what you have here. For example, Scruggs, Southwest, McDaniel, Barnhart to name a few. I've seen many of them for sale for around 1200-1400, and all of them are beautiful. And ofc, we all know scruggs southwest mcdaniel and barnharts hit great. :D

tommy84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your help, but I'm from Germany and not too active here on AZ, so I doubt people would be happy to sell a cue to me and more important I have to deal with the customs bureau (ivory)

But I'm happy to have DoubleDave just 2 hours away from me and he's shipping with german postal service as he lives just a spit away from Germany

And I'm not too much in a hurry with a new cue, just checking waters. We have a structured league here in Germany and many cues drop on the market here around June when the season is over - many standard models, but some people have pretty nice cues and buy even nicer cues. It's just about being online at the right time as those sell pretty quick over here for a steal.
Just seen a McDaniel Q88 sold for 900 euro = US$1200 :mad:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Check out my site. I have about 18 or so unchalked new Ariel Carmeli cues in stock. I live nearby and go to the shop frequently. I monitor the build of all cues ordered and received by me. Carmeli cues play good. Been shooting with one for quite a while myself. You won't be diappointed.

Martin

tommy84 said:
Thank you for your help, but I'm from Germany and not too active here on AZ, so I doubt people would be happy to sell a cue to me and more important I have to deal with the customs bureau (ivory)

But I'm happy to have DoubleDave just 2 hours away from me and he's shipping with german postal service as he lives just a spit away from Germany

And I'm not too much in a hurry with a new cue, just checking waters. We have a structured league here in Germany and many cues drop on the market here around June when the season is over - many standard models, but some people have pretty nice cues and buy even nicer cues. It's just about being online at the right time as those sell pretty quick over here for a steal.
Just seen a McDaniel Q88 sold for 900 euro = US$1200 :mad:

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Check out highendcues.com
Kenny Carfagno has a Carmelli that is similar to the one in your listing for a couple hundred less.
You can talk to him evenings (215) 300 0361 if you have questions. I actually prefer the look of the highend cues Carmelli.

Both of these cuemakers make gorgeous stuff and use an excellent finish. I like the look of the Espiritu in your link very much but have only hit with a couple of his cues. I did like them though. Seems to me, you can't lose if you plan to keep the cue as a personal player. Both cuemakers know their stuff. Good luck.

Last edited:

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Carmelli is far rarer and will go up in value, Espiritue cues seem to tank on the secondary market because there are so many of them and there not the quality of a carmelli. For the diffrence in money I can see where you would be tempted, but I would go with the Carmelli.

samsarakid24

A Little TWISTED !!!!!
Silver Member
Carmeli #1

In my Book....Carmeli is # 1

I have owned lots of cues with some being High end as well. Right now and for the last 3 years my # 1 player I use everyday is my Carmeli

Nothing against Russ but I have played his cues as well and IMO you can't compare, Ariel Carmeli 's cues are the Nuts...........

Good Luck...........Paul

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
VISITED Mr. Carmeli shop last year....

jazznpool said:
Check out my site. I have about 18 or so unchalked new Ariel Carmeli cues in stock. I live nearby and go to the shop frequently. I monitor the build of all cues ordered and received by me. Carmeli cues play good. Been shooting with one for quite a while myself. You won't be diappointed.

Martin
Last year I when to visited Martin "jazznpool" and he took me to see Mr. Carmeli. Me and Martin when out to play some pool at night and test hit some Carmeli cues, they very nice solid hitter.:thumbup:. I will take Carmeli over Espiritu anyday.

PunchOut

addicted
Silver Member
jazznpool said:

Martin

i would definitely go with martin instead of budgetcues.........

Retail1LO

Pass the sugar!!!
Silver Member
jazznpool said:

Martin

Martin's an awesome gentleman to work with. I bought a beautiful tulipwood Carmeli from him in the past....and it was a MONSTER player.