What the F is going on here?

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just turn on ESPN. The premier sport channel, and I am looking at a freaking Cornhole Championship. How the F can this be on and we cannot get a pool match on TV, This cornhole is about as exciting to watch as watching a turtle crossing a road. Surely a pool match of any kind has to be more interesting to watch than this cornhole sh*t.

What do we have to do to change this? I know this topic has been discussed at length. But this episode today just freaked me out.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just turn on ESPN. The premier sport channel, and I am looking at a freaking Cornhole Championship. How the F can this be on and we cannot get a pool match on TV, This cornhole is about as exciting to watch as watching a turtle crossing a road. Surely a pool match of any kind has to be more interesting to watch than this cornhole sh*t.

What do we have to do to change this? I know this topic has been discussed at length. But this episode today just freaked me out.
Clean up your act and stop looking like homeless bums every time you appear on videos with your hat turned backwards, baggy shorts, t-shirts where you end up looking like thugs or gangbangers.

middleofnowhere

Registered

It is associated with cookouts and bar b ques and family fun. Perfect for 4th of July. Let's be honest, Cornhole may be more entertaining then watching pool for the average person.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is associated with cookouts and bar b ques and family fun. Perfect for 4th of July. Let's be honest, Cornhole may be more entertaining then watching pool for the average person.
There was a guy who put up a new metal building down the road from where i live. This is out in the country by the way.

I started seeing at least 50 - 75 vehicles parked there on friday and saturday nights. Turns out they play cornhole there.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a guy who put up a new metal building down the road from where i live. This is out in the country by the way.

I started seeing at least 50 - 75 vehicles parked there on friday and saturday nights. Turns out they play cornhole there.
Forgot to mention its about a 40 by 60 building it looks like and is even air conditioned.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can't believe they used the name "cornhole", has a completely different meaning in Alabama. lol

middleofnowhere

Registered

Where you describe you can probably get away with things. He may have a business going there.
I remember one of my friends years ago who rented a warehouse to put a pool table in. He was a good bar table player and all around player.
He didn't want anyone to know he had the table. You never saw him practice at the pool room but he was always in dead stroke.
At one point he lived there for maybe a year. An ideal existence for a pool player.

Im planning on moving in the next year, maybe by then end of the year and selling this house. My other house does not have a room big enough for my pool table. I have been looking into it and I am thinking of getting a steel building big enough for the table. Probably bigger then I need so I can do other things in there. It is rural as well on my acreage. Nice to be able to do things without the city being on your back every time you turn around. I think I have had it living in the city.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cornhole has huge advantages for ESPN -- a Disney company. They can have complete control over the timing, the players, the audience... I bet there are only eight or so players -- only the ones who appear on camera. And I imagine the prize fund is negligible compared to how much you have to pay a field of 256. Disney is in the business of controlling the experience and extracting as much money from it as possible. I also bet it is a good show.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Pool is hard. Cornhole is easy. Why did bar pool become so popular and "real" pool (9' tables) did not? Because bar pool is easier. Hell, it's probably possible to throw a perfect cornhole game your first night trying. The chicks must think these cornhole hustlers are really something. Right? Lower the requisite skill level, and you expand your pool of participants. Who wants to devote the time and money necessary to acquire a stroke and all else that pool requires when you can just toss a silly bean bag at a hole in plywood? I can't wait for the cornhole movie to hit the big screen.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
Pool is hard. Cornhole is easy. Why did bar pool become so popular and "real" pool (9' tables) did not? Because bar pool is easier. Hell, it's probably possible to throw a perfect cornhole game your first night trying. The chicks must think think these cornhole hustlers are really something. Right? Lower the requisite skill level, and you expand your pool of participants. Who wants to devote the time and money necessary to acquire a stroke and all else that real pool requires when you can just toss a silly bean bag at a hole in plywood? I can't wait for the cornhole movie to hit the big screen.
Bar pool became popular because it is widely accessible. The tables are everywhere. It is also simpler. You put a few coins in the table play a game or two and sit down.

I put two coin opt tables in my room and they were busy all the time. There were 13 gold crowns to play on but certain players preferred paying by the game.

Reactions: Pin

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I am thinking of getting a steel building big enough for the table. Probably bigger then I need so I can do other things in there. It is rural as well on my acreage. Nice to be able to do things without the city being on your back every time you turn around. I think I have had it living in the city.
Do you happen to know much about waterproofing a sheet metal roof? I have an old barn building with one, but it drips from half the roofing screws in there. When I get time I plan to replace the screws, but I'm not convinced the old timbers will allow a waterproof seal...

middleofnowhere

Registered
Do you happen to know much about waterproofing a sheet metal roof? I have an old barn building with one, but it drips from half the roofing screws in there. When I get time I plan to replace the screws, but I'm not convinced the old timbers will allow a waterproof seal...
No not much at all. I know there's stuff you can get for like waterproofing the top of RVs and things that's literally is like a rubber sheet once you paint it on.
You thinking of putting the pool table in there?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Seems we get this thread nearly once a month.

I'm sure there are many cornhole fans who wouldn't watch pool if you paid them. Ideologist said it best in this thread. Pool attracts a low-spending demographic (this has been true for at least thirty years) and sponsors want spenders. Further, as Brokeland Bill wisely pointed out, far too many members of the pro pool scene mismanage their appearance and their behavior in a way that tends to reinforce the seedy image from which pool has long suffered.

There's nothing wrong with cornhole. If you don't enjoy it, don't watch. Simple enough.