What to ask a instructor.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I will be taking a lesson from Mark Wilson next Saturday and I was thinking about what questions I should ask him so that I can get the most from the experience.

As instructors, what questions do you like to hear students ask?

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I will be taking a lesson from Mark Wilson next Saturday and I was thinking about what questions I should ask him so that I can get the most from the experience.

Great post.

I think I like to hear, "are you going to video me?".

Of course the answer is yes.

randyg

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Questions

After you do Video analysis and work on fundamentals, if you still have time then you should have some specific questions prepared based off of your own weaknesses.

This is all based off of your skill level and your desired skill level.

Stroke
Pocketing Balls (aiming systems)
Draw/Follow
Breaking
Banking
Kicking
Caroms/Safeties
Position Play
Pattern Play

If you think you are weak in any of the area's, some help from an instructor could go a long way.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When someone comes to me for help, I prefer to ask the questions. Through those questions we will explore what's on their mind about their game, but we'll do it in the order that will be most helpful to the player.

My recommendation would be to give your instructor a chance to do what he knows how to do. Let him take the lead. If he's good at what he does, which I'm sure Mark is, he'll ask you the questions and you will not need to ask any questions other than what comes up as you go along in the lesson.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the end of the session ask him what are the three most important things (in order) that you should work on.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

Don t make yourself too much trouble- Mark Wilson is for sure a very very expirienced instructor. I don t think there will be any questions open once you said *hi Mark*

Have fun with him and enjoy your table-time.

lg
Ingo

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don t make yourself too much trouble- Mark Wilson is for sure a very very expirienced instructor. I don t think there will be any questions open once you said *hi Mark*

Have fun with him and enjoy your table-time.

lg
Ingo

Be prepared for a long day. Mark will lead the session. Your questions will come naturally.

Have a great time, take it all in, and accept the teaching. Oh and you might want to bring a little extra dough and buy his book.

You play 3 cushion? Haven't played a game in months.:frown:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really only have one question to ask. And, it isn't for Mark, it is for you.....are you ready to have your game dissected, changed, and put back together in a way that is actually better for you? In other words, are you ready for changes to be made?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Questions.

You really only have one question to ask. And, it isn't for Mark, it is for you.....are you ready to have your game dissected, changed, and put back together in a way that is actually better for you? In other words, are you ready for changes to be made?

Excellent!

I always start by asking a prospective student what their goals are, and if they're willing to eliminate bad habits.

I then like to give them a brief written test (takes about 30 seconds - often I'll email it to them before we actually meet) that gives me a pretty good idea of their experience and skills.

I liked many of the other answers here, especially Fran's...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A way to start on this process is: Bring to the instructor three to five things about your game that you are currently unsatisfied with. This might be something that can be fixed quickly, such as a "how to do this shot" issue or it might be something that will take a while to fix such as standing up before the tip hits the ball. Maybe it's tactics in a particular game situation. Looking for these things is a start on self-analysis. Sometimes students pick the wrong problems, but see what you can come up with.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Be prepared for a long day. Mark will lead the session. Your questions will come naturally.

Have a great time, take it all in, and accept the teaching. Oh and you might want to bring a little extra dough and buy his book.

You play 3 cushion? Haven't played a game in months.:frown:

Hi :)
i used to play- but long ago. But always next to pool. Had the luck to play in a billiard-room where tons of top-players have played (3c and technical disciplines).
but last year i played with a friend in a 3 cushion tournament- was fun pure to meet all the guys after about 15 years again. Was also the first time after 15 years. won also one match- don t ask me how :p

have a smooth stroke :)

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious, are you local to the instructor and how long will the lesson be ?

For myself, I generally can only work on a few things at a time. Too many changes or too many ideas in my head at the same time ruins my game.

I prefer a series of shorter lessons spread out.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For myself, I generally can only work on a few things at a time. Too many changes or too many ideas in my head at the same time ruins my game.

If you're asking me then yes, Mark is reasonably close. My lesson with him was a marathon. Maybe 6 hours+

The beauty of video is you can go back and work on each topic. Long lessons require video, at least for me. I'm getting old and forgetful.

Yes changing a bunch of stuff will hurt in the short term. but if you believe in your teacher, then accept the pain. My first lesson from a pro killed my game for 6 months. Month 7 I was much better off.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Follow up

I had my lesson with Mark Wilson this Saturday......it was amazing! I was totally ready to have my game torn down and built back up and that is exactly what we done. I was impressed with his ability to size up my game and make the necessary adjustments quickly. I am going to post something on the main forum later about it all but I wanted to first say thanks to everyone who commented on this thread, it was very helpful for me to hear from other instructors and students alike.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member

For me the lesson was 8 hours. When I asked Mark how long it would take his answer was "Until you get it!". (but keep in mind his lesson isn't a cookie cutter class but rather more student specific"

As far as changing too many things this is how it went for me. My game was as far as it was going to go if I didn't make a change. The lessons destroyed my game and that's exactly what I needed. The old Chris is dead! My old way of playing is gone. I am starting fresh with new mechanics and relearning how to play. It will take me a while to get back to my old speed because my mechanics will have to become second nature again, but once they do I should be able to excel well beyond my current limitations and be much more consistent.

Until I was able to make that commitment my game was going to stuck in the same rut. I will never go back to the way I was playing. In fact, my league playoffs are tonight and more than likely I wont play very well, but I am so committed to this that I wont go back to the old way even if it means loosing the playoffs. That is the level of commitment I feel I need to become a better player.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me the lesson was 8 hours. When I asked Mark how long it would take his answer was "Until you get it!". (but keep in mind his lesson isn't a cookie cutter class but rather more student specific"

As far as changing too many things this is how it went for me. My game was as far as it was going to go if I didn't make a change. The lessons destroyed my game and that's exactly what I needed. The old Chris is dead! My old way of playing is gone. I am starting fresh with new mechanics and relearning how to play. It will take me a while to get back to my old speed because my mechanics will have to become second nature again, but once they do I should be able to excel well beyond my current limitations and be much more consistent.

Until I was able to make that commitment my game was going to stuck in the same rut. I will never go back to the way I was playing. In fact, my league playoffs are tonight and more than likely I wont play very well, but I am so committed to this that I wont go back to the old way even if it means loosing the playoffs. That is the level of commitment I feel I need to become a better player.

Understood. Makes a lot of sense and I admire your commitment.

At some point, I will probably have to drop out of team league. Not always easy to balance team and personal goals.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Understood. Makes a lot of sense and I admire your commitment.

At some point, I will probably have to drop out of team league. Not always easy to balance team and personal goals.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing for myself. I am on a team where I am the top player and I'm not sure they will understand what I am doing. I have wanted to leave the league for a couple of sessions now but I got guilt-ed into playing again. They are good people, don't get me wrong, but I need to make a change for myself. Hopefully I can go out on a win tonight.