What to do? Cuetec Cynergy or Jacoby BlaCK?

marinemike0931

Registered
So I recently sold my set of JD Custom Cues after trying newer carbon fiber jump and break sticks. I already bought the Cuetec Breach and Propel (Ghost editions, not that it matters). Liked the BK Rush and Air Rush also but didn't see anything that justified the price difference in those and the Cuetec offerings, plus I got decent deals on the Cuetecs (both for $1k new in box).

That said, I used a Radial Jacoby Black with my JD playing cue... and I still have it with a fresh tip on it. I do like the shaft, and have used it on my last 2 cues (JD and Jacoby HB7). I'm torn on what to do about replacing my playing cue, I have a few options. I could sell the Jacoby shaft and buy the matching SVB Cuetec Cynergy. I could find a cheapish radial butt (Peri, Jacoby, JD, etc) and keep the shaft. I also have a 3/8x10 Jacoby Black for my fiances McDermott that she doesn't use... so I could buy a cue butt with that pin.

I could spend up to $1k on a new cue... obviously less is better, but I like a nice looking player (which I'm unsure about the Cuetec styling, but the matching set might be nice).

Haven't hit with the Cynergy playing shafts... how does it compare to the Jacoby BlaCK? And I'm interested in opinions on what you would do in my position? I get really indecisive when it comes to stuff like this, the breaker and jumper were easy choices for me... too many options out there

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both are great. The one quick difference I like is if you go with cuetec, extensions are readily available and in several configurations.

I ended up with a predator butt with extensions and cuetec shafts. I like a little longer cue but I also have the 12" extension for those long reach shots.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the cuetec cynergy true wood ebony cue. It is fantastic. I've not played with a Jacoby, but I preferred the cynergy shaft to the revo in my testing. No more expensive custom cues for me.

baalpeteor

So I recently sold my set of JD Custom Cues after trying newer carbon fiber jump and break sticks. I already bought the Cuetec Breach and Propel (Ghost editions, not that it matters). Liked the BK Rush and Air Rush also but didn't see anything that justified the price difference in those and the Cuetec offerings, plus I got decent deals on the Cuetecs (both for $1k new in box).

That said, I used a Radial Jacoby Black with my JD playing cue... and I still have it with a fresh tip on it. I do like the shaft, and have used it on my last 2 cues (JD and Jacoby HB7). I'm torn on what to do about replacing my playing cue, I have a few options. I could sell the Jacoby shaft and buy the matching SVB Cuetec Cynergy. I could find a cheapish radial butt (Peri, Jacoby, JD, etc) and keep the shaft. I also have a 3/8x10 Jacoby Black for my fiances McDermott that she doesn't use... so I could buy a cue butt with that pin.

I could spend up to $1k on a new cue... obviously less is better, but I like a nice looking player (which I'm unsure about the Cuetec styling, but the matching set might be nice).

Haven't hit with the Cynergy playing shafts... how does it compare to the Jacoby BlaCK? And I'm interested in opinions on what you would do in my position? I get really indecisive when it comes to stuff like this, the breaker and jumper were easy choices for me... too many options out there

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I would say just get the ghost shaft as well and have a complete set from 1 manufacturer. Can't go wrong, being they are meant to play together either way. Then if you go with Seyberts, you can customize the playing cue with a stylish wrap that matches your case and glove (like I do). Also, you can engrave your name too with Seyberts. That is if you are trying to keep this set/pass it down to your children one day and not resell it. The most important part is getting the tip you like. I went with a HOW Medium, which is what SVB uses. My friend broke with this tip by accident (because the breach and playing cue look pretty identical) and loved it for that too. I make sure to do tip maintenance every day after I shoot, nothing a Willards can't fix (and $2 bill for burnishing).

SVB uses the entire set, so nothing is wrong with their products. Just put some table time in, that will make the difference. Working where you are weakest. Having all Cuetec, I can say I'm more confident than I ever was, way more than shooting with my PureX (elk master) & Action breaker(phenolic) combo in that nothing is definitely wrong with the equipment: it is me if anything.

I got my break shot down with a plain maple Action break where at least 8 of 10 balls hit the back rail I shot from, and some make it all the way back into the corner pocket (that's balls hitting the short rails 3 times from a break, hella power on f'd up stained dirty 9 footer bar cloth ). I just played with my new breach yesterday and already popping the cue ball in the air how I like, hitting the head ball dead-center and coming back into the center of the table.

The Pro-Line bags should be back in stock in October.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have tried something like seven different cf shafts. Cuetec is my favorite.

My Jacoby was a 12.7. Shot well, broke well on a McD 3/8×10. I was too wide a tip.

Try a Kamui clear black med.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
This seems like a fairly easy decision to me. You already know you like the way the Jacoby Black shaft plays, and you are already fully adjusted to playing with one since it has been what you have been playing with on your last two cues for quite some time, plus you already own two of them. Why mess with taking a shot in the dark on something new when you already have what you like? To do so is going to cost you money you otherwise have no need to spend, chances are that you wouldn't like the new shaft as well anyway, and even if you did happen to like it as well or better you will have to go through the adjustment period all over again while you get used to it and become just as proficient with it.

Now if you have money to burn and are just the experimental type that always wants to try new things then fair enough and have fun (but that wasn't really the impression you were giving), but otherwise changing shafts at this moment doesn't seem to make a lot of sense when you are satisfied with what you already have.

That being the case the only real decision is which of the two joint versions to sell and which one to keep. Unless you are in a pinch and really need to be able to sell your second shaft in the very shortest amount of time possible, then I think I would keep the 3/8x10 and sell the radial (the radial may take slightly longer to sell, or possibly not). By going with the 3/8x10 joint it will be easier to find exactly the cue butt you want and at the best possible price because there are so many more of them out there (new or used). In the future it will also make it easier to try out a shaft of someone you meet or from one of your buddies on your own cue butt to see how you like it (and of course for free) since that is the joint that is most commonly owned by other people, and same thing with the selection in a store (or at the booths at one of the big Vegas tournaments etc) if you ever want to take your butt in and try different shafts on it to see how they hit as there again you are most likely to be able to try out the most shafts in a retail shop if you have a 3/8x10 butt since they will have more of that joint than anything.

Finally, if you ever ultimately do decide to change shafts down the road, while you can usually pretty easily get a brand new shaft from any of the major shaft models in either of those joints, if you were wanting to consider going used there would be a far wider availability of 3/8x10 shafts on the used market making it more likely that you would be able to find just what you wanted, right when you wanted it, and at the best price.

Last edited:

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you find that pocket billiards is the game/sport you enjoy most and have played it 2-3 years you will discover your pecking order among other players. The feeling of euphoria you have after purchasing a new cue/shaft etc, is truly satisfying. However, the people you beat will rarely go unchanged and the ones you never will beat likely never change. Nothing unusual or wrong with that. I own or have owned nearly all of the products you mentioned and many more. They are all great, just different. My ability will stay the same and my success ration will only improve IF/WHEN I invest in quality instruction, or commit to longer hours of practice. AND I AIN'T DOING IT! I will continue buying new cues, new shafts, tips, etc, because that is what I'm best at. Enjoy the game, buy all you can afford because someone has to support the billiard industry so we can watch champions play this game at their mind boggling level.