What type of tenon?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Players jump/break stick. I am looking to remove the phenolic one piece tip/ferrule, and I'm going to replace it with something else.

Does anyone know if that Tenon is threaded? Or is it unthreaded? Also, what is the diameter of the Tenon?

I would like to just heat it up and take it off to find out for myself, but then I would be out of my break stick for a period of time.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
you are just going to turn it off on the lathe and find out............. usually most are threaded and are 5/6-18 thread.................... at least it is a 5/16 unthreaded tenon.................... if it's a Meucci............. it can be funky.............. lol

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're going to keep it a break cue, you could just face the ferrule flat and add the tip you want.
I could do that. My brother has a cue lathe. But what I had in mind was the Bulletproof one piece ferrule/tip. Delete the phenolic, but still have a one piece set up.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let a qualified repair person do the job
It's just a Players shaft. I only paid $100 for the whole queue when it was new. They are about 150 now.

. I'm a do-it-yourself guy. But I try to do my homework before jumping in head first. What better cue could I learn on?

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you are just going to turn it off on the lathe and find out............. usually most are threaded and are 5/6-18 thread.................... at least it is a 5/16 unthreaded tenon.................... if it's a Meucci............. it can be funky.............. lol
This turned out to be the right answer. I carefully heated the ferrule with my heat gun. Gave it a turn and it threaded off. The ferrule is indeed 5/16 I.D. now on to stage 2.

DeeDeeCues

It's just a Players shaft. I only paid $100 for the whole queue when it was new. They are about 150 now.

. I'm a do-it-yourself guy. But I try to do my homework before jumping in head first. What better cue could I learn on?

There is only one way to get 'qualified', and that is to do it.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget to face the shaft so it seats properly and use proper epoxy. If your buying the one piece ferrule, face that too. Never assume!
I will have to face the new ferrule anyway. The tenon is a short one. So the ferrule will need cut down. Facing the shaft first so I can match the ferrule to it.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or you can leave the ferrule capped.
You can even thread it .
It will be capped. And comes pre threaded.

I was referring to where the ferrule meets the shaft... just to make sure its square.
Screenshot_20220626-183449_Chrome.jpg

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a gimmick to me.
I thought so too at first. But many seem to like it. There are a few guys on AZ that like them. Rumor has it Alex Pagulayan uses one. There are a few different lexan tips on the market today.

Installing it myself makes it cost worthy enough to give it a shot. I like to experiment sometimes. I decided to ditch the phenolic and try something else. If I dont like it, I can put on the original ferrule and install a White Diamond.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought so too at first. But many seem to like it. There are a few guys on AZ that like them. Rumor has it Alex Pagulayan uses one. There are a few different lexan tips on the market today.

Installing it myself makes it cost worthy enough to give it a shot. I like to experiment sometimes. I decided to ditch the phenolic and try something else. If I dont like it, I can put on the original ferrule and install a White Diamond.
I just wanted to clarify that Bullet Proof break tips are not made of Lexan. Lexan is hard and brittle, Bullet Proofs are not.
Gary

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’d be willing to make a wager. If I put one on a shaft and broke with it, it wouldn’t last an hour.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I just wanted to clarify that Bullet Proof break tips are not made of Lexan. Lexan is hard and brittle, Bullet Proofs are not.
Gary
Just to clarify, it Actually IS made from lexan (Brand Name), or to be precise polycarbonate.... which is almost unbreakable, which is why it is considered bulletproof and is used as such. It does scratch easier than acrylic. From the web: Lexan is but one of a family of thermoplastics whose main claim to fame is in its ability to undergo significant deformation without cracking of breaking.
Dave