What would you buy?

bklynjava

I use PK...UFIGUREITOUT
Silver Member
I am curious if you were to decide to get new equipment what would you buy?

When I say Equipment I am asking in terms of Lathes - CNC etc.

Brand/Maker
Model
Extras

I appreciate any replies as I am undecided on what to purchase.

bklynjava

I use PK...UFIGUREITOUT
Silver Member

Thats a pretty sick system there. If the auction ends no one would know what it was so here ya go.

JET Belt Drive Bench Lathe with Acu-Rite 203 DRO- 13in x 40in BDB-1340A/321121

JET.jpg

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most importantly would be a lathe, 13" or 14" x 40" the best you can aford.
A 4 axis CNC, minimum 24" x 48"
A quality bandsaw 14" or more
A table saw
Jointer and planer with a helical head
If you enjoy the freedom that comes with making your own jigs and such, a milling machine is very handy. A used Acra, Bridgeport or similar quality is surprisingly cheap. They do take up quite a bit of real estate though.
Other than that I can't stress enough the value of having a good storage solution. It doesn't have to be Lista or Vidmar cabinets, but tool cabinets to store all your valuable measuring tools, drils and reamers etc is worth every penny.

Last edited:

bklynjava

I use PK...UFIGUREITOUT
Silver Member
Most importantly would be a lathe, 13" or 14" x 40" the best you can aford.
A 4 axis CNC, minimum 24" x 48"
A quality bandsaw 14" or more
A table saw
Jointer and planer with a helical head
If you enjoy the freedom that comes with making your own jigs and such, a milling machine is very handy. A used Acra, Bridgeport or similar quality is surprisingly cheap. They do take up quite a bit of real estate though.
Other than that I cant't stress enough the value of having a good storage solution. It doesn't have to be Lista or Vidmar cabinets, but tool cabinets to store all your valuable measuring tools, drils and reamers etc is worth every penny.

Great information here, thank you for taking the time to share.
I have to say I'm really glad you mentioned storage. I didn't give much thought to it but I see it is definitely an important factor.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious if you were to decide to get new equipment what would you buy?

Would definitely keep my planer for profiling and making blanks.
Then I'd get an even bigger one for the metal shop. :D
Would make some improvements to the rotary and set up features used on it, though.

Then, with one or the other planers, I'd make about a 6' or 7' long bed for all the Hardinge components currently used, so they would work inboard, outboard, and multiple components on the bed at the same time, instead of floating the short bed sections around on a I-beam as current.

Actually, i plan to do that anyway. After a long laundry list of other projects.

Anyone starting today better go cnc.
Wish i had time and talent to learn it.
Too busy twiddling dials to change, though.
I still have and use a 3D pantograph in the metal shop, but don't have a big interest in inlays on cues, myself. it's there if necessary.

smt

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
A pool table and beer cooler for the shop.

Of course the answer depends upon what job is to be done.

For general repair and cue making it would be a lathe designed for cue making (Unique or Hightower) and a Taper Shaper or CNC machine.

As an addition to my current shop (if I had the floor space) I would add a good 40" lathe like the one Joey posted a link to. You can never have to many lathes.

Last edited: