What would you do?

DaWizard

I have nothing to add, only that situations like these feel so unfair to both parties:
- everyone sometimes places their cue in unsafe place
- you can break something without having any fault

When these two come together and you're the one who did it, it just suck donkey balls. Almost like it depends on who is most assertive is going to 'win'.

The only practical advice is: try to find out what the actual values of the shaft is. Then offer between 0 and 100% of that value.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is he a friend?
Is he a guy you beat for money?

If he contacts predator they may cover it. I've had a cue with lifting rings that was older and they fixed them, refinished and rewrapped it.

Play him 300 or nothing...in a set and play good.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This is kind of the same situation when people by these cases with legs on them and then set them up 4 or 5 feet from the table. Its pretty easy to just walk by the case and catch the end of the cue because they can be tough to see in a dimly lit room or bar not to mention its far too close to the table. When people have their stuff too close to the table, especially when they have to move it for a shot then put it right back in the same place I feel the responsibility is on them if their equipment gets damaged. In the 10 years I have had my cue and played in crowded places it has never hit the floor, when people ask if they can put their cue next to mine I let them but first I remind them if they cause any damage to my cue they are responsible.

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...What is the pool etiquette rules that apply to this situation? What would you do?
What are you- running for public office?
Personally, I don’t feel you “owe” him jack squat.
Sports equipment gets broke. Even cue shafts too.
This thing was graphite?
His stick probably wasn’t screwed together right tight.
Must have been a real thunder clap when that thing struck (a chair?)
No cue shaft costs that much anyhow far as I know?
He’ll get over it.
Who needs a special break cue anyway? It’s mostly hype.
I don’t think you are responsible. You feel guilty? Don’t. A gentleman might, and I say MIGHT be thinking about splitting the replacement cost with a FRIEND who’s cue was damaged.

Again, he’ll get over it.
He should consider the experience a lesson. And a cheap lesson too.

Eddie <—no gentleman

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the pool hall shooting and my heel of my foot hit the guys case that I was playing against as I was shooting. He was using the case to hold his shooting Predator Revo Break stick and the case was leaning against a flimsy table. The case fell and the shaft of his stick split it 2 pieces when it hit the chair. He feels I should pay him $600 for the broken shaft.

What is the pool etiquette rules that apply to this situation? What would you do?

I’m trying to remember the last time a saw a knocked over pool cue break…

…nope, can’t think of a one. So unless this guy was a buddy of yours I’d say the cue had been previously broken, was being held together with bubble gum, and placed close enough to the table for an unsuspecting opponent to knock over.

Think banana peel in a store.

Lou Figueroa

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the pool hall shooting and my heel of my foot hit the guys case that I was playing against as I was shooting...
The thing is, we experienced pool players know that there are only three ways that a nice (or valued) custom should be stored at rest in a bar or pool hall environment...Laying FLAT on the pool table, held in my hand, or stored in my cue case. I did NOT say sticking out of a cue case.
Even then, possessing that little bit of wisdom, I gotta watch my cherished Whitten case like a hawk.
Drunks and fat chicks abound.

skiergd011013

This is tough. He should have had his stuff in a safer location. But, if my foot directly knocked his stuff over, id probably pay the cost of the shaft (id look it up myself and confirm cost). If it was just leaning on a crappy table or something, and i used the table and it wobbled and fell.....well then he's s.o.l for careless placement of his cue. Theres really no right or wrong answer here, as he poorly stored his cue in harms way. Do you value this guys friendship enough to pay up? Or could you not care less if hes pissed? You are not obligated to pay. If you want to be gracious, pay. If you want it to be a $600 lesson on cue placement for him......dont.

Last edited:

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the pool hall shooting and my heel of my foot hit the guys case that I was playing against as I was shooting. He was using the case to hold his shooting Predator Revo Break stick and the case was leaning against a flimsy table. The case fell and the shaft of his stick split it 2 pieces when it hit the chair. He feels I should pay him $600 for the broken shaft.

What is the pool etiquette rules that apply to this situation? What would you do?
What would you want done if the situation were reversed?

SeniorTom

This is a difficult decision for anybody in your situation. I think the bottom line is if the cue stick was too close in proximity to the playing area then it's his bad. If you had to go out of your way to get to it then it would be your bad. As simple as that.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
as long as it was in a place where you could see it was in the way or was there. it was up to you to ask him to move it. the cue wasn't moving, it was still. so it was you that was at fault. no mater how you want to orchestrate it so that you are not responsible.

markvl

I am thinking a 50/50 split but only for the actual replacement cost and only if it is actually replaced
I would also ask for the receipt and verify the cost with the manufacturer, or at the very least the room owner. then I would pay 1/2 and leave it at that. Depending on who it was I might get the room owner to be the middle man and make sure everything is on the up and up.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
This thread brings up another question which I was never able to resolve: where to keep my break cue to protect it from theft and/or damage. (I mainly play 1P these days so resolution was not pressing.) I always keep my case underneath my table, but I never could bring myself to put my break cue under there, too. I was always concerned when my break cue was "out and about" while my primary focus of attention was on the game. Disassembly and re-casing after each break seems too disruptive or cumbersome, Any suggestions?

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
His cue should be in his hand or at least five + feet from the table.
Oooops I miss read. I thought it said and not or.
An adult needs to take care of their shit. Period. You leave it next to the freeway don't cry if it gets run over. Oh no wait that reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker
It said:
If you don't like the way I drive.....stay off the sidewalk.