What would you do?

I was in the pool hall shooting and my heel of my foot hit the guys case that I was playing against as I was shooting. He was using the case to hold his shooting Predator Revo Break stick and the case was leaning against a flimsy table. The case fell and the shaft of his stick split it 2 pieces when it hit the chair. He feels I should pay him $600 for the broken shaft.

What is the pool etiquette rules that apply to this situation? What would you do?

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
He should have protected his equipment better/properly. Tough call. Was it a $600 shaft. Was the shaft new?Junk? I do not know of any $600 shafts. I personally would feel guilty and offer up...but at a reasonable cost. Ask exactly what kind of shaft it was. What is your gut?

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough call here. To me it depends how close his case was to the table as to who is most responsible. I would probably feel some guilt in your case nonetheless.

dquarasr

Registered
His case was close enough to the table that in your (or anyone’s) normal step back to view and step into the shot it could be knocked over? Sorry, too bad. I don’t lean my case anywhere. I hang it on the back of a chair.

If you are feeling especially generous you can offer 50% of replacement cost.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second the opinion that he should have not leaned it so close to the table, unless you were actually running into the equipment not paying attention that has nothing to do with you shooting at the table hitting it when it was behind you.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I would be thinking about a warranty issue. I can understand a shaft splitting in two due to a sudden violent reaction,(like a PRO pool player slamming it violently against a table), but to break from falling and hitting a chair?
$600.00 seems a hefty price

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I was in the pool hall shooting and my heel of my foot hit the guys case that I was playing against as I was shooting. He was using the case to hold his shooting Predator Revo Break stick and the case was leaning against a flimsy table. The case fell and the shaft of his stick split it 2 pieces when it hit the chair. He feels I should pay him $600 for the broken shaft.

What is the pool etiquette rules that apply to this situation? What would you do?

Carbon Fiber Revo splits in half from hitting a chair?? I don't think so. And, brand new Revo's are well under $600..

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Because of my height, before I begin play I make sure nothings in the way of my feet in the play area.
Being aware of this from both sides is important.
I'd probably split the cost with this person is my first thought.
Not knowing the entire situation, that's the best I can offer.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Tough call. There's no real etiquette to cover this.

If I broke someone's stick on accident I'd try to make it right. If someone broke my stick on accident I'd probably just write it off to shit happens. There is no real answer. Some would want compensated some wont. I guess go with your gut feeling, you gotta look at the man in the mirror and only you know what you feel in your heart.

$600 is a hefty price, you can get Revo shafts for $500 brand new online. Even with tax it's not $600 and most have free shipping over a certain price. Still a lot of money but it's all relative.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a general rule I believe that if I break something of somebody's, I should replace it. Or at least reimburse for a fair value.

I see this as a bit different though. If he left it in a spot where somebody simply playing the game could easily knock it over, he didn't take reasonable care to protect his cue.

If it was a close friend I would probably offer to replace it, knowing full well that it would likely be refused.

Just some schlub that I ran into, I would apologize, but I'm not paying $600 for his mistake.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Your opponent bears the responsibility to make sure his equipment is not vulnerable to possible damage during *normal play*, the key word here being normal. If you were exhibiting some *abnormal behavior* like hopping on one foot and losing your balance or doing a cartwheel and during this sort of activity his case got knocked over then it would clearly be your responsibility to get him a replacement shaft.

However, if he simply placed his case with the cue in it where it got knocked over during the course of *normal play* and damage resulted then it's squarely his responsibility for not properly safeguarding his equipment.

Makes sense, right?

And, oh yeah, I'm also not loving his trying to take further advantage of the situation by asking you for quite a bit more than even a brand new Revo would cost. Crappy move, imo.

If it were me I'd provide him a link to this thread. :cool::D:love:(y)

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your opponent bears the responsibility to make sure his equipment is not vulnerable to possible damage during *normal play*, the key word here being normal. If you were exhibiting some *abnormal behavior* like hopping on one foot or doing a cartwheel and during this sort of activity his case got knocked over then it would clearly be your responsibility to get him a replacement shaft.

However, if he simply placed his case with the cue in it where it got knocked over during the course of *normal play* and damaged then it's squarely his responsibility for not properly safeguarding his equipment.

Makes sense, right?

And, oh yeah, I'm also not loving his trying to take further advantage of the situation by asking you for quite a bit more than even a brand new Revo would cost. Crappy move, imo.

If it were me I'd provide him a link to this thread. :cool::D:love:(y)
Definitely challenge the inflated price. Ask him to get an appraisal from a well known appraiser. It might stop here.

SeniorTom

Once, when competing in a match, my opponents had their sticks (3) on a claw too close to the table, and I accidentally knocked them to the ground with my back foot. The floor was carpeted and no damage was done. My first reaction was "why have you guys put your sticks so close to the playing area?"

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The other guy is out of line. If his method of caring for his equipment interferes with my playing style, then it shouldn’t be there.
…..he can replace his own stuff.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Well that is an unfortunate situation for sure. I would say "I'm sorry", but only out of common courtesy not as an admission of guilt. In my opinion, the shooter (you) has the right to the shooting area plus a buffer zone. We all know conditions are different everywhere, but the shooting area cannot be adjusted. Your opponent is responsible for reasonable expectations to protect his equipment. Being within the shooting zone would be considered negligence on his part. Therefore, I believe he is responsible. In a court of law, I would assume he would have to prove malicious intent on your part. What you do out of the goodness of your heart is your decision, but I feel you owe him nothing.

Last edited: