What's the best mechanical bridge for shooting over several balls?

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 14.1 more so than in other games you may need to occasionally shoot over 3 or 4 balls. Some bridges I've seen that are designed for this are pretty unstable. What works best for you?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 14.1 more so than in other games you may need to occasionally shoot over 3 or 4 balls. Some bridges I've seen that are designed for this are pretty unstable. What works best for you?
I like the white plastic ones that lock together (forgot brand name). I have two bridge cues thus equipped (modified with locking thumb screws) in my home table room. But, I carry the black plastic one with the rubber fitting that slips over the end of a standard cue (not the ‘bat wing) in my cue case, to use stacked over the house bridge (since tables often only have one).

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bridge DynoDan mentioned is the Russo bridge head.
Great for straight pool. Surprised to not see these being used for one pocket more often.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bridge DynoDan mentioned is the Russo bridge head.
Great for straight pool. Surprised to not see these being used for one pocket more often.
Thanks for the info.

Appears that two of the Russos together make a bridge that is taller than other options and probably nice and stable because of the way they lock together. But may only be practical if supplied by the pool room because they don't fit onto house cues like most bridgeheads for sale these days. Be sure to let me know when they do.

Cue ball visibility is an additional problem that might be helped by using see through plastic like the Kamui View bridgehead.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Well I think you need a couple of options. As something that works to bridge over 3/4 balls will not be very good for more standard shots.

For 95% of the potential issues I run into I carry one of these...: (I think they sell for <$5)
Screenshot from 2022-04-02 17-05-15.png

For that one crazy instance you're asking about I couldn't think of anything better than this particular model that's snooker based.
Screenshot from 2022-04-02 17-08-52.png

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info.

Appears that two of the Russos together make a bridge that is taller than other options and probably nice and stable because of the way they lock together. But may only be practical if supplied by the pool room because they don't fit onto house cues like most bridgeheads for sale these days. Be sure to let me know when they do.

Cue ball visibility is an additional problem that might be helped by using see through plastic like the Kamui View bridgehead. Cue ball visibility?
Just go to the hardware store and buy: 2 thumbscrews and a matching threading tap/handle & bit (assuming you already own a drill). Polishing the screw tips will likely prevent ferrule damage
Cue ball visibility? Are you an especially short person?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P.S. I forget (been too long), but if the Russo bridge’s hole diameter isn’t larger than 14mm, you would also need to buy a reaming tool.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Russo heads cost about $2 in bulk so I just donated some to the pool hall. From time to time I replace one of the horrible pot metal heads with a Russo head.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I think you need a couple of options. As something that works to bridge over 3/4 balls will not be very good for more standard shots.

For 95% of the potential issues I run into I carry one of these...: (I think they sell for <$5)
View attachment 635807
For that one crazy instance you're asking about I couldn't think of anything better than this particular model that's snooker based.
View attachment 635808
I keep a moosehead in my case. Slip on any housecue. Done. works perfect.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Russo heads cost about $2 in bulk so I just donated some to the pool hall. From time to time I replace one of the horrible pot metal heads with a Russo head.

This sounds like a good idea. Can they be easily attached to replace most any existing bridge head?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This sounds like a good idea. Can they be easily attached to replace most any existing bridge head?
The diameter of the mounting hole is smaller than 12mm so a cue is unlikely to work. Bridge handles should work fine but you may have to whittle the end down some. You will also have to provide a set screw.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW: The reason I modified my Russo’s thus instead of fixating them permanently, is because the handles are also very straight/high quality house cues (visitors can have their own cue). Since situations where ultra-stable stacked bridges are really needed are actually quite rare, I typically make due with whatever rake is available (plus my black slip-on) when playing out, as removing/reinstalling the Russo’s frequently is too much trouble (I’m lazy), though indeed feasible if I REALLY wanted to be prepared for any tough situation, assuming of course another pair of cues are handy then (I usually only carry two at most).

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Try this with your moosehead:
I really couldn't put a number to how many times throughout my pool playing years, that I needed to stack bridges. Lets just go with endless dozens. None of the bridges had provisions to stack other than what would be the norm. Really isn't that difficult to contruct a stable platform.

While I don't doubt the russo could possibly be better at the task. I'm really leaning toward this being a fix for a non-problem. More of a potential convenience then a solution.

....and if I was to be brutally honest. The construction of the russo appears to be fairly 3rd grade imo. A block of plastic with slots jigsawed out of it.

I'll stick with the mouse head that can be used with any cue without modification ;)

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over 40 years ago I came up on one of those tennen cutting machines used for fitting ferrules on cues. It was at a price I couldn't refuse. Anyway it's been of great use. Recently used it to cut a couple of old junk pieces of wood that some might have called a cue down to fit The Russo bridges.
They work great and when lazy I use one of the bridges with an extra Russo bridge head I have with out the handle attached. Mine fit tight enough
for that to work in most cases. I always thought those bridges did the job well ,

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
just a bridge is THE BEST BRIDGE and it fits in your case

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
just a bridge is THE BEST BRIDGE and it fits in your case
I haven't used that one, but it does look like it has merit. The fact that it doesn't require modification to be used as a travel item is a big plus.

Wow... just watched that video. That certainly is a versatile bridge...lol. I'll give tons of credit to the inventor. He definitely put a ton of effort into thinking that one up. At $37usd, I may just have to wait for a retirement sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't used that one, but it does look like it has merit. The fact that it doesn't require modification to be used as a travel item is a big plus.

Wow... just watched that video. That certainly is a versatile bridge...lol. I'll give tons of credit to the inventor. He definitely put a ton of effort into thinking that one up. At $37usd, I may just have to wait for a retirement sale.
You could start a gofundme 😂😂