whats the best way to get back instroke??

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
my job has me travelling alot and sometimes i go days without practice,,last night was league night and i didnt play but i did shoot with my friends and i stunk, i had easy shots , simple table length stop shots and a few cut shots all of this on a bar table ,mostly i think my fundametal mechanix are off and i was wondering how do i get back in the game?
 
IMO theres 2 reasons to be out of stroke. 1. fundamentals problem, or 2.lack of confidence/lack of play<<<can go hand in hand

to fix #1 I shoot cross corner straight ins til I start to get an idea of what is out of sorts.

to fix #2 I shoot ONLY easy shots til I start flowing and "get the oil in the back arm" so to speak...

Gerry
 
im an hour into practice and im shooting easy shots and then tough shots "thanxz gerry"and i think i kno what i did wrong last night for one i didnt lean over far down enough and 2 i just took the shots without practice stroke , so far im getting back in shape and my back is hurting a bit so i kno im doing somethin right...
 
driving or flying?

seanjonsean said:
my job has me travelling alot and sometimes i go days without practice,,last night was league night and i didnt play but i did shoot with my friends and i stunk, i had easy shots , simple table length stop shots and a few cut shots all of this on a bar table ,mostly i think my fundametal mechanix are off and i was wondering how do i get back in the game?

Are you driving or flying? If you are driving then toting your stick with you and staying in stroke is far better than trying to get back in stroke. Even flying I think I would pick up a dirt cheap stick, slick up the shaft, and throw it in baggage. It is a lot easier to spend five to fifteen minutes practicing your stroke each night than to try to get back into stroke after losing your stroke.

Dry firing a gun can be more effective in some areas than live fire for improving your game. I am finding that practicing my stroke and follow through "dry firing" with the pool stick has similar benefits.

Hu
 
i do have a cheap cue but im in a ranch in the middle of nowhere wich is somewer and we do have a pool table but its inbad shape and its smaller than a bar box but next week im driving to colorado ,ill soon satrt a new thread bout that
 
no table needed

seanjonsean said:
i do have a cheap cue but im in a ranch in the middle of nowhere wich is somewer and we do have a pool table but its inbad shape and its smaller than a bar box but next week im driving to colorado ,ill soon satrt a new thread bout that

Any pool table is better than none but I was talking about just grabbing a corner of a desk or table and stroking down an edge when on the road.

I'm not sure if your drive takes you through Raton New Mexico but if it does look up the old icehouse steakhouse. Super steaks when I passed through there a few years ago. A lot of nice country to drive through and hopefully some opportunities to play pool, maybe with some AZ'ers.

Hu
 
Keep with the solo practicing. Matching up with someone will just get you to try and 'force' your stroke to come back. Agree with the other poster about keeping your practice sessions simple and easy. Straight shot drills, control drills, that kinda stuff. Nothing fancy, just work on keeping loose and getting your confidence back. Also, if you're not near a table, I'd recommend watching pool videos of players you want to emulate. Your subconscious is a very powerful tool when it comes to learning. Or re-learning. Above all, have fun.
 
not that i have a great stroke or anything, but i find my best stroke when i'm not thinking about my stroke. (and no, i'm not trying to be a smartass :) )
 
pool

seanjonsean said:
My job has me travelling a lot, and sometimes I go days without practice. Last night was league night and I did not play well.
I had easy shots , simple table length stop shots and a few cut shots all of this on a bar table .Mostly i think my fundamental mechanics are off and I was wondering, How do i get back in the game?
Without an aiming system you will never
get very far at all. Also, get off the bar tables. That is not pool.
 
Gerry said:
IMO theres 2 reasons to be out of stroke. 1. fundamentals problem, or 2.lack of confidence/lack of play<<<can go hand in hand

to fix #1 I shoot cross corner straight ins til I start to get an idea of what is out of sorts.

to fix #2 I shoot ONLY easy shots til I start flowing and "get the oil in the back arm" so to speak...

Gerry
USE AN AIMING SYSTEM
 
Neil said:
The biggest impediment to being in stroke lies between your ears. It's a matter of thinking right.

Shooting with friends in a friendly game tends to get one out of stroke. Add to it the probable desire to look good to them, and you add in a little anxiety.

Before you play, get your head into why you are there, and what you want to accomplish. It will go a long way.
GET AN
AIMING SYSTEM
 
aiming systems don't help a bad stroke

kildegirl said:
GET AN
AIMING SYSTEM

Hal,

I'm taking the original poster at his word, he is out of stroke. Meaning no disrespect, no aiming system is worth a tinker's dam without a stroke to hit where you aim. I shoot right handed and when a muscle goes into spasm on the right side of my back none of the knowledge I have does me a bit of good when I don't have the mechanics to apply my knowledge. Likewise when someone's stroke is poor due to a lack of practice advanced knowledge is worth little without the fundamentals to be able to apply that knowledge.

Hu
 
pool

seanjonsean said:
im an hour into practice and im shooting easy shots and then tough shots "thanxz gerry"and i think i kno what i did wrong last night for one i didnt lean over far down enough and 2 i just took the shots without practice stroke , so far im getting back in shape and my back is hurting a bit so i kno im doing somethin right...
and your aiming method?
hal houle
484 623 4144
 
Back
Top