Whats the mushrooming tool that FSR uses in his video, I've never seen them before [Two items]

smoochie

NotLikeThis
One is silver and looks like it shapes the top of the tip "dime, nickel" etc.

The other one I've never seen before is a long white tube-like one.

I'd like to know both, especially the second one, he said he uses them both before each match like a ritual :D

Reference video with a timestamp takes you to the items in question.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Seeing the two items after he spoke of them, how does the white tube remove the mushroom? I don't see any sanding thing inside of the whole, bit curious on that one as to how it actually works.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The white tube has an inside taper that is larger than the tip at the one end and smaller at the other. It is used to burnish the sides of the tip. These are fairly common in Europe, I think, at least among the carom people. The usual way in the US to burnish the sides of the tip is with a piece of leather or the back of sandpaper -- or a hundred-dollar bill. Usually you wet the sides of the tip before burnishing.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
White tube is probably more for burnishing the tip. Likely is tapered on the inside for some shaping.
I prefer a piece of leather.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the white tube thingie from Oliver Ortmann's store:

1679101171874.png

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Twists them right off.
If the tip is not round ,it binds as you turn it in the tube.

• Wow
Reactions: bbb

George the Greek

I used a cigarette pack for years to burnish the tip and a curved piece of plastic you put a strip of sandpaper in to get the dome needed. I also have a tip pick and a tapper.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like what Predator says they do: super glue the sides.
Not much to think about after that. I use their soft tips a lot and they haven't mushroomed.

Happens around 6:45: