What's The Shot? 14.1

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think on that table you can just shoot the nine into the corner and the cue ball can roll and touch the top of the stack. Hopefully a few balls will come out and you shoot the one or two next

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the cluster was not tight. Also the cue-9 angle was slightly too parallel to the left cushion. In addition the 1 ball was way off, but it wasn't important at the time. Here is the perspective view that more or less matches the picture.
View attachment 617693

And here is the overhead if you take some follow off the cue ball and land on the 13.

View attachment 617699

And here is what can happen if you just let the cue ball roll. No shot.

View attachment 617700

In between if you manage to split the 11-8, you usually end up with something but it's not as sure as landing on the 13 where you're going to have a shot on the 1 or 2 somewhere.
So my vision was quite spot on! Thanks

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...or maybe aren't afraid to miss????...., lol
Sure. That shot can be made, and often. Playing on older GCs (with side pocket ‘buckets’) can leave you trained with an ‘obscured’ sense of the percentages. I see badly missed corner shots frequently drop on Diamonds with tight/pro pockets and deep shelves, but firmly hit side shots at steep angles have to be near perfect. A millimeter either way, and the OB hits dead on the far point and bobbles out, or brushes the near point (with the same result). I‘ve had to adjust my game to where those steep side shots are now a ‘last resort’ (when no viable corner shot alternatives present).

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Sure. That shot can be made, and often. Playing on older GCs (with side pocket ‘buckets’) can leave you trained with an ‘obscured’ sense of the percentages. I see badly missed corner shots frequently drop on Diamonds with tight/pro pockets and deep shelves, but firmly hit side shots at steep angles have to be near perfect. A millimeter either way, and the OB hits dead on the far point and bobbles out, or brushes the near point (with the same result). I‘ve had to adjust my game to where those steep side shots are now a ‘last resort’ (when no viable corner shot alternatives present).
Hey I agree... I just happen the see that particular side shot as having much of a steep approach angle.

Play to your strengths

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My intial 10 sec glance was to play the nine with controlled speed into the cluster. Having read all comments, I remain with that choice.