What's wrong with APA rules?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Can't imagine why anyone argues for slop in 8b. Sure, you can 'play the slop' with stuff like the Z bank. You can also play a table roll but that doesn't mean table rolls are desirable.

Whether it happens at high level play is moot, the rules need to be carefully thought out with all players in mind, not just the high level ones.

Slop is certainly not rare though. I see it in every single one of my 9 ball matches, sometimes my shots and sometimes theirs. And in 8b, there's no player who's so good he NEVER needs to hit a ball harder than like lag speed. Any stop shot longer than 5 feet usually has enough speed to reach another pocket.

Still, in your APA area, how many times in a typical match involving SL5 and higher will you see a slop shot? 8-ball....

This past Tuesday was a rare evening where i slopped one (ok, that's not so rare, heh heh) and the SL6 I was playing slopped at least 3. To be fair, we have new cloth on our tables, and he hadn't played on them yet. Fast, fast, fast....

Same thing happened with another SL5 from the visiting team, slopped a few in his match.

That is unusual around here, and I don't consider us to be all that high in the food chain. I think that between 1-2 in a match would be about right, unless its just SL7's, which would be less. I think there is just one guy who will just let it rip to see what happens, and he is a SL4. CreeDo, you've played against APA players in my state, when I tell you w arem, that ought to give you our ability. If we aint slopping a bunch in, other areas are?

I find it difficult to believe that slop is that prevelant in other parts of the country, when you talk about SL5 and above.

Am I wrong?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still, in your APA area, how many times in a typical match involving SL5 and higher will you see a slop shot? 8-ball....

This past Tuesday was a rare evening where i slopped one (ok, that's not so rare, heh heh) and the SL6 I was playing slopped at least 3. To be fair, we have new cloth on our tables, and he hadn't played on them yet. Fast, fast, fast....

Same thing happened with another SL5 from the visiting team, slopped a few in his match.

That is unusual around here, and I don't consider us to be all that high in the food chain. I think that between 1-2 in a match would be about right, unless its just SL7's, which would be less. I think there is just one guy who will just let it rip to see what happens, and he is a SL4. CreeDo, you've played against APA players in my state, when I tell you w arem, that ought to give you our ability. If we aint slopping a bunch in, other areas are?

I find it difficult to believe that slop is that prevelant in other parts of the country, when you talk about SL5 and above.

Am I wrong?

Our local tournament is played by APA rules. Most of the players are C+ to B+ level. In almost every set I have seen and played in, someone misses a shot and it ends up going in. In one set, a guy who is always missing but getting lucky breaks anyway, missed 5 times in a race to 3, and was able to stay at the table because of balls going in somewhere else in each of those misses. In one shot I clearly remember, he missed a pretty easy ball, and proceeded to crap in TWO others, with getting a clean shot at a shot after that. Just this past Tuesday I was in a race to two, APA rules, I broke, a solid went in, there were 0 shots at another stripe, in fact I could only barely see a sliver or a stripe half a table away. I tried a safe, left him a long shot. He ran out from my break when I made a ball. If we played by "real" rules, I'd be able to shoot at a solid and have a chance of winning the game.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our local tournament is played by APA rules. Most of the players are C+ to B+ level. In almost every set I have seen and played in, someone misses a shot and it ends up going in. In one set, a guy who is always missing but getting lucky breaks anyway, missed 5 times in a race to 3, and was able to stay at the table because of balls going in somewhere else in each of those misses. In one shot I clearly remember, he missed a pretty easy ball, and proceeded to crap in TWO others, with getting a clean shot at a shot after that. Just this past Tuesday I was in a race to two, APA rules, I broke, a solid went in, there were 0 shots at another stripe, in fact I could only barely see a sliver or a stripe half a table away. I tried a safe, left him a long shot. He ran out from my break when I made a ball. If we played by "real" rules, I'd be able to shoot at a solid and have a chance of winning the game.

You said you made a solid on the break but didn't have a shot at stripes?

Why do you continue to play in tournaments with APA rules if you don't like the rules anyway? The way I see it is some players get lucky but in the long run the better player will win. It is as simple as that.

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a match Monday night. Opponent was on the hill with only the 8 ball hanging.
I stuck myself right against my last ball.
I got upset and just slammed it. It went about 5 rails and in the side. (A.P.A)
Opponent says, "nice shot".
I wound up winning the match. :D

JC

Coos Cues
Pool needs the APA because without it all we would have is the "serious" pool players drinking whatever is free and stealing the chalk.

In short order there would be nowhere to play for anyone.

JC