what's your 9 ball B@R % on your practice table?

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Solo, my table (9'), magic rack, maybe 20%, but on a table I don't know, etc. 12%

Ghost BIH, I beat the ghost about 50%... so I guess 50%?

635fr

P.S. running racks is not how you win 9 ball/10 ball matches. It is running out when you should and playing lock up safeties when you should.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s far more revealing what your B&R % is for $ sessions and/or tournaments (over numerous sessions / matches / tournaments) than it is for solo practice sessions.

That's what I was thinking…

Just for the hell of it I looked at my last league session.

I played 10 matches and a total of 76 individual games. Alternate break so estimate 38 breaks.

I had 4 B&R's, so just over 10%. Diamond bar box.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
My B & R rate is 0.00%. I blame my equipment.

Attachments

• carom__24784.jpg
    carom__24784.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 24

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
P.S. running racks is not how you win 9 ball/10 ball matches. It is running out when you should and playing lock up safeties when you should.
Nailed it...
Also pro level.
I'm no where near pro level and float around 80-90% if I splash 9 balls on the table, don't generate clusters and have BIH.

9 ball is a game of breaking. With Ghost, there's no value in dropping a ball so why bother risking clusters by crushing the break. With no clusters and BIH on first ball, 9b is an easy game.

I don't play Ghost w/ BIH. Too easy. That said, I can't recall tracking my success rate. Guess I could give it a go. To win a set you'd need what...?..., at least 50%. If you win Ghost w/ BIH more often than not, then you must be over 50%. So I'm guessing a safe, conservative guess is 50%.

(675)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference between ghost rules of BIH after the break and actual game rules is way more than double the runout percentage. More like 5 times harder in my estimation.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The difference between ghost rules of BIH after the break and actual game rules is way more than double the runout percentage. More like 5 times harder in my estimation.
Oh ya... the "pro" version that doesn't provide BIH is down right crippling. Not sure if I've ever won a non-BIH set against the ghost.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh ya... the "pro" version that doesn't provide BIH is down right crippling. Not sure if I've ever won a non-BIH set against the ghost.

Yeah, a couple of the members above said 5% without bih, and 10% with. That’s a bit off:)

Neils Feign played a set about 10 years ago and live streamed it. I think the final was he won 100 out of 120 racks played (from my memory). That was 9 ball ghost with bih.

In contrast, Fedor has played a few “God” ghost sets recently. 9 ball, no bih, must make a ball. Same as a real match. He lost all of the but got close to 40-50% I think.

soyale

Yeah, a couple of the members above said 5% without bih, and 10% with. That’s a bit off:)

this was my exact response. can you explain why its a bit off? In any given set against the ghost i stand to lose between 2-10 and 0-10, so 1/10 seemed a reasonable answer (10%). if i sit and played 20 games with no bih i might get out once, so 5%.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this was my exact response. can you explain why its a bit off? In any given set against the ghost i stand to lose between 2-10 and 0-10, so 1/10 seemed a reasonable answer (10%). if i sit and played 20 games with no bih i might get out once, so 5%.
Because BIH is a HUGE advantage. Way more than double, IMO. I'm not saying you are lying, just maybe you didn't really keep score so it's optimistic estimating. I think if you played 20 racks with BIH, and 20 racks "real game condition" (no BIH, and must pocket a ball on break and not foul on break), you would be maybe 5 times better with BIH.

Edit to add: I think this would be true of all of us. Not just picking on you:)

soyale

Because BIH is a HUGE advantage. Way more than double, IMO. I'm not saying you are lying, just maybe you didn't really keep score so it's optimistic estimating. I think if you played 20 racks with BIH, and 20 racks "real game condition" (no BIH, and must pocket a ball on break and not foul on break), you would be maybe 5 times better with BIH.

i think what you are saying would be true for a good player, which i am not! Even a blind squirrel gets an easy layout every once in a while though

Flakeandrun

have to agree. I don't do BiH - If I wanted to practice potting I'd just throw balls on the table. I like simulating matchplay, and incorporating safety so not really 'ghost' matches. That or I play left vs. right hand. BiH my % goes up drastically.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I had 20 minutes before dinner to do an unofficial, brief test.
5 racks 9ball
9' Diamond
standard pockets
template rack

I will stand by my initial guess of 15% B&R and 50% against the bih ghost regardless of this short test.
1 B&R
3 bih runouts
1 failed bih runout.

I wish I had more time because I was breaking much better than usual (I've been working on the break a lot lately).
This is why it is hard to put an accurate number on the %.
Tomorrow I will probably have horrible breaks and dog the 8ball 3 times while losing by the inverse score of today.
I don't personally think I can expect too much consistency until my fargo is above 650. I'm about a 615-625 on any given day.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how do you practice safeties? I dont think there is any reason that the ghosts “purpose” has to be strictly running out.

Those are the Ghost rules , have been for 35 years far as I can remember!!! Please let’s not start changing the rules for the underdog!!!!

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had 20 minutes before dinner to do an unofficial, brief test.
5 racks 9ball
9' Diamond
standard pockets
template rack

I will stand by my initial guess of 15% B&R and 50% against the bih ghost regardless of this short test.
1 B&R
3 bih runouts
1 failed bih runout.

I wish I had more time because I was breaking much better than usual (I've been working on the break a lot lately).
This is why it is hard to put an accurate number on the %.
Tomorrow I will probably have horrible breaks and dog the 8ball 3 times while losing by the inverse score of today.
I don't personally think I can expect too much consistency until my fargo is above 650. I'm about a 615-625 on any given day.

About is not your Fargo , what’s your Fargo sir ?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
About is not your Fargo , what’s your Fargo sir ?
Today 617, but it's been between 615-625 for the past year.
No local tournaments I play get entered so it varies based upon the performance of others and a couple events I have played out of town.
I'll give you some action when you next come to Clarksville. Just msg me here or create an action post on their FB site.

soyale

Those are the Ghost rules , have been for 35 years far as I can remember!!! Please let’s not start changing the rules for the underdog!!!!
I’m not trying to change the rules, just stating that there’s no reason not to play the ghost with safeties if you want to practice them.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
You can play safeties all day, just don't call it "playing the ghost", and don't post results in the "AZB ghost challenge" thread.