What's your thoughts on a matching player and JB?

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several cues and was thinking of getting a matching playing cue and JB custom made. Nothing real fancy just a good player. I emailed Kevin Varney some time back and asked for an example of his work in the form of emails. He sent me an email saying his computer was messed up and he would get them to me within the next week. Not to bash but that was over a month ago.

So, now I'm looking elsewhere. Any ideas who can help? I like a medium to stiff hit in a cue.
 
Last edited:
I think

it isn't a bad idea, IF you can find a cuemaker that can make both to your standards, and I mean, a playing cue to your standards, and a Break/jump cue to your standards. A terrific player, but so-so Break/jump would not do it in my mind.

Actually, I have seen 3 matched up before, a playing cue, a Break/Jump cue, and a seperate Jump cue. They looked real cute together ... LOL

The best looking jump cue I have seen was made by Dennis Cash of Cash Cues here in town. It was made Jacoby style with the finger grip with multi-colored dots inlayed just below the finger grip, and with ivory diamonds inlayed down by where the butt sleeve would be. He used Curly Maple for the butt. It was sharp looking for a jumper.

Someone that could make the matching pair for you is Bob Owen of Shurtz Custom Cues here in town. Bob makes excellent players, and also makes a real good Break/Jump cue. He usually puts a buffalo tip or phenolic tip on the Break/Jump cue, whichever you prefer.

ArnotQ might be an option, he makes some nice looking players. Don't know about his Break/Jump cues.
 
Last edited:
KY BOY said:
I have several cues and was thinking of getting a matching playing cue and JB custom made. Nothing real fancy just a good player. I emailed Kevin Varney some time back and asked for an example of his work in the form of emails. He sent me an email saying his computer was messed up and he would get them to me within the next week. Not to bash but that was over a month ago.

So, now I'm looking elsewhere. Any ideas who can help? I like a medium to stiff hit in a cue.

I know Kevin has been quite busy :D from what he told me the other day! LOL. Anyhow, I have some pics of his work on my pc at home (at work now) if Kevin doesn't get to you today PM me and I will send you what pictures I have later tonight when I get home.

There are MANY extremely talented cue makers on here and all do very nice work. I am sure any one of them will be very happy to help you out.

Good luck to you.
Craig
 
Dickie Neighbors would be a great option. He is located in Cincy and you could go visit his shop and see some examples of his work. Could not ask for a better guy to deal with.

Ian
 
xianmacx said:
Dickie Neighbors would be a great option. He is located in Cincy and you could go visit his shop and see some examples of his work. Could not ask for a better guy to deal with.

Ian

Thanks for your information. I am going to be in Dayton in about a month and am planning on going to see Dickie. Joe Brown told me he does really good work. I also have thought about something from Shurtz too. I would like alot of info before I go see Dickie. 'Cause I might just place an order with him while I am there.

Anymore good folks with info?
 
Back
Top