when a High End, High Value cue is ALTERED , what does it do to it's VALUE ?

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found an old favorite "BlackBoar" , 6 point, ebony into maple, original boars head logo.
Came out of the BlackBoar shop with Smooth Leather Wrap.
Currently for sale at Cornerstone and the previous owner altered the cue.
Sent it out to some guy with a wrap machine to install Lizard wrap (see photo's)
Pulled my VISA out of wallet ready to go when... Cornerstone drops the BOMB.
mY hEART STUCK IN MY tHROAT , i need some serious feedback please , i love this cue
:alien:

zed X a.png

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it is only a wrap and quality done it should not devalue the cue if the wrap is correct style and time period leather the cue was made in. Putting a gator wrap on a Gus Szamboti would not fit the time period and would devalue the cue. But if the Gus had a really bad shape smooth leather wrap and you replace it with a smooth leather wrap it should not devalue it. Just my thoughts if I was buying cues.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is only a wrap and quality done it should not devalue the cue if the wrap is correct style and time period leather the cue was made in. Putting a gator wrap on a Gus Szamboti would not fit the time period and would devalue the cue. But if the Gus had a really bad shape smooth leather wrap and you replace it with a smooth leather wrap it should not devalue it. Just my thoughts if I was buying cues.
Thanks for stopping by.
Top photo shows original condition , center and bottom photo show what the 2nd owner did.
also disclosed by Cornerstone :: punch the size of pencil eraser into body of cue.
I spoke with Wm Grassley this morning , had VISA in hand
(lizard wrap put on by some guy)

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The photo I'm posting here is one of the photo's from Cornerstone.
As plainly seen, it's the original wrap.
They didn't have the new photo's up on the site, so.... I thought it was in original condition.

zed jpeg x01.jpg

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was able to get a screenshot at Cornerstone.
These photo's were posted to show the cue's arrival but not the updates.
Those were sent to me by eMail , I don't know if Cornerstone will put it back to Original Condition.?

Screenshot (322).png

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for stopping by.
Top photo shows original condition , center and bottom photo show what the 2nd owner did.
also disclosed by Cornerstone :: punch the size of pencil eraser into body of cue.
I spoke with Wm Grassley this morning , had VISA in hand
(lizard wrap put on by some guy)
Re-wrap, is not the end of the world. If you have the cue wrapped by someone competent, there should be zero issues.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Any serious Black Boar buyer will beat you over the head with "the cue was touched by someone other than Tony"

I wouldn't buy this cue unless the price took a big drop

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t care... and if anyone did. They should purchase it and believe BB will have no problem charging you $700 to replace it with the same wrap lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Any serious Black Boar buyer will beat you over the head with "the cue was touched by someone other than Tony"

I wouldn't buy this cue unless the price took a big drop
My biggest concern is if the new leather is much thicker and the wrap groove was sanded or re-tapered significantly .
You cannot re-taper his parabolic tapered butts.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
am i getting my asse kicked now :alien:
the gods must be angry with me , talk about eating Crow
last time i visited Florida , stopped by a small cantina for a bite
guy, his wife and one daughter ran the place , way down south on the west bank.
well... i get the standard lunch platter which consisted of Deep Fried Crow (seriously)
I was sick for 2 days,
point is...... that same feeling is here once more , I'm not having a good time
JPEG's when finished

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I'm up to so far, new wrap at shop being prepped for installation
Mason Micarta Ferrules , Precision Layered Tips , Picone Joint protectors and lastly Diamond Lustre Polish
Complete and total restoration to Original Condition
1967 b.JPG

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm a major snob with leather wraps. seriously. The original does not look as well done as the replacement. Probably why they had it replaced? I like the smooth black far and away better with your cue, far more than the replacement The original was kind of a mediocre to good job based on the pictures.. I have done a few leather wraps now and find them to be tedious but not particularly difficult. Just get a nice smoothie on there and make sure it's perfect.
I just sent a cue back to a very respected maker to have the Brown smooth wrap re done although it looked fine to most people, I was not impressed and I know can personally do better than that. Smooth wraps are a touch harder to make look great because EVERYTHING shows. In my recent case these were my concerns; glue lumps and a piss poor seam. not coming together evenly at the ends of the seams, plus end grain showing at the the butt sleeve .It made me wonder why it was sent to me??? Not the worst Ive seen , but too many issues. Find a master of leather wraps , put on the same as original and enjoy your cue.

Hey, If some better works on it then it's worth ten times as much! this guy is smoking the good stuff!

Last edited:

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a major snob with leather wraps. seriously. The original does not look as well done as the replacement. Probably why they had it replaced? I like the smooth black far and away better with your cue, far more than the replacement The original was kind of a mediocre to good job based on the pictures.. I have done a few leather wraps now and find them to be tedious but not particularly difficult. Just get a nice smoothie on there and make sure it's perfect.
I just sent a cue back to a very respected maker to have the Brown smooth wrap re done although it looked fine to most people, I was not impressed and I know can personally do better than that. Smooth wraps are a touch harder to make look great because EVERYTHING shows. In my recent case these were my concerns; glue lumps and a piss poor seam. not coming together evenly at the ends of the seams, plus end grain showing at the the butt sleeve .It made me wonder why it was sent to me??? Not the worst Ive seen , but too many issues. Find a master of leather wraps , put on the same as original and enjoy your cue.

Hey, If some better works on it then it's worth ten times as much! this guy is smoking the good stuff!
JayMan - found your auction , nice Bushka Dude and with CERT!! :alien:
GLWS
2931 7r.png

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JayMan - found your auction , nice Bushka Dude and with CERT!! :alien:
GLWS
View attachment 590836
$9K is cheap for a Bushka . never followed up but i hope Jayman got the deal he wanted

BB Update :: cue comes home next week :alien:
i have the lizzard wrap in perfect condition up for grabs
USPS flat rate shipping applies 7.95 , post here if you'd like to have it

jersey red.JPG

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Wait, you're changing the ferrules too? It's your money, but you're not getting it back out of that cue if you change it up like that

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, you're changing the ferrules too? It's your money, but you're not getting it back out of that cue if you change it up like that
Good to hear from you
I'm not letting this honey go , Grandson will take it to the tables (not right away) :alien:
would you like a lizzard wrap

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Good to hear from you
I'm not letting this honey go , Grandson will take it to the tables (not right away) :alien:
would you like a lizzard wrap
If you're keeping it, then I celebrate you making your preferences a reality. Would love to see it at the conclusion!

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
If you are buying the cue with the intentions it will be an investment and someday you will sell it for more than you paid for it
then the new wrap could possibly make a difference in value.
Collectors and investors really value original condition items.
Even the fact it was restored by its maker makes it a cut below one that is still all original.
Un-chalked cues are worth more than ones that have hit a few balls.
A bit of sand paper and how would you know.
I dont know how anyone could tell by looking your BB cue was not as originally made.

Kinda like cars ... wrecked ones bring less money ... even if everything has been restored to like new.

Since I started making pool cues about 20 years ago I learned to think about expensive cues a bit differently.