When did pros stop playing all-ball fouls 1-pocket???

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
...since about the time people figured out that they can take a foul and shift the balls into a better position.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its always been that way.

I think US Open 1-Pocket is also cue ball only.
If you move two balls its a foul in all tournaments. If you move one ball the incoming player has the option to except the position or return it to the place he thinks it was in.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...since about the time people figured out that they can take a foul and shift the balls into a better position.

I don't follow... I've always played foul plus the incoming player has the option to move the ball back.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you move two balls its a foul in all tournaments. If you move one ball the incoming player has the option to except the position or return it to the place he thinks it was in.

If you move two balls, does your opponent still get the option to move the balls back?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't follow... I've always played foul plus the incoming player has the option to move the ball back.

I've never played in a one pocket tournament , but in action we always played if you move a ball it is not a foul ( unless moving it would have possibly come into contact with the cue ball ) and opponent had the option of moving it back at his discretion ( and of course he would always move it to his benefit ).

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Sir!

If you move two balls, does your opponent still get the option to move the balls back?

All balls are returned to their original position as determined by the incoming player and the player who fouled pays or owes a ball and surrenders the table.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100%. Too much of this going on.

I agree. It is one thing to loosen the rules for casual and even league play, but when the game is played at it highest level (US Open?) it should be played under the most stringent rules. I've seen billiards matches among the big boys on video where a player's vest touches a ball and the foul is called. Or an old one where Sang Lee tucks the bottom edge of his vest into his pants to avoid the risk of it touching.

bmoretallpaul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seemed like they were playing cue ball fouls only yesterday on the Bigtruck stream. I don't get it.

I didn't know they ever started. one pocket has a different set of rules vs say nine ball, or straight pool. related to the nip and tuck of the game it would be almost impossible not to (touch) a ball. thus the incoming player can have the ball replaced as close to its original spot. now if you move two or more balls then a foul has been committed, which results in lost of inning plus a penalty ball must be paid or owe if you cant afford it. the incoming player has ball in position.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know they ever started. one pocket has a different set of rules vs say nine ball, or straight pool. related to the nip and tuck of the game it would be almost impossible not to (touch) a ball. thus the incoming player can have the ball replaced as close to its original spot. now if you move two or more balls then a foul has been committed, which results in lost of inning plus a penalty ball must be paid or owe if you cant afford it. the incoming player has ball in position.

I would think the "nip and tuck" nature and importance of ball position minutia would logically call for all-ball fouls, and that's the way I've always played.

I've watched countless pro matches and, off the top of my head, can only remember this coming up two or three times.

It came into play this weekend in with Chohan and Smith and it turned into too much of a fiasco to not be a foul, especially at the very top level.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The inherent problem with this in a One Pocket tournament is what happens when you are spotting a ball.

two or more is just fine for One Pocket IMO.

I've spent a lot of time mulling over the idea of a cell phone app that scans the rack for gaps and alignment and perhaps provides information on how the gaps present are believed to affect how the balls will spread... It could also be used for accurate ball spotting.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Yeah news to me.
CB only bro.

Straight pool is another matter.

Lesh

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I've spent a lot of time mulling over the idea of a cell phone app that scans the rack for gaps and alignment and perhaps provides information on how the gaps present are believed to affect how the balls will spread... It could also be used for accurate ball spotting.

Its not so much the accuracy that matters as it does the fact that the spotted ball has to be frozen to the existing balls. This means you are coming in contact with the stack. Its almost never a foul when spotting a ball but it would get a lot grayer with all ball fouls.

I can understand the idea behind preventing balls being moved for the purpose of an advantage but its not rotation where the "road map" of the rack being altered can change the game entirely. In One Pocket there are so many options and so many things going on that its much less significant. Also, because of the play the ball as it lies rule, fouling on accident can hurt the incoming player. It just makes the game funny.