When is Dennis gonna learn how to shake hands

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder how some would do playing in the south of the Philippines where there are several people carrying M-16's and 45's in the pool hall .:eek::eek::eek:
Tell us Jay. :D
My late best friend used to stake Dennis in Quezon City. They would head out to a local bowling alley/pool hall adjacent to a mall. My friend said, Dennis was the most trustworthy horse he's ever had. He'd leave him in the pool hall , go shopping and come back. Dennis never failed him.

Been there, seen it with my own eyes. Money games on all four tables and I was the only white guy in the place. Lots of armed guys with not so well concealed weapons, the .45 the gun of choice. Fortunately I was with Dennis and he is well respected there. When one of the "bosses" got upset about something and took his pistol out and was waving it around, Dennis said it was time to leave and we got out of there.

I heard rumors that one of the more well known Filipino pool players had been targeted for disrespecting a Boss. Dennis came to his rescue and asked them to leave him alone. True story!

Last edited:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
The mandatory after loss handshake is bullshit in my opinion. If a guy gets beat and respects the way the other guy won and played and wants to shake his hand then awesome. But the fake going through the motions thing with a disgusted look on his face just looks dumb.

Add in the all the cultural differences and it just makes it even more silly. I want a player to show sportsmanship during the match and how he conducts himself not by acknowledging losing in a good way after its over.

This isnt little league baseball or high school football. Its pro's playing for money. There is enough BS involved already no need to ad in more fake rituals. I think the loser should have the prerogative of offering his hand if he wants without it being mandatory. If not then next match.

This.
If I was the winner, I would understand if my opponent does not want to shake hands. i'd be like, "you're pissed. i understand. if you dont want to shake hands, it's totally fine."

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
After thinking about this for a while I have a couple of thoughts.

When I am in a match and I lose I will always shake hands with the opponent. I feel it is the right thing to do. It is the sportsman type of thing to do if you ask me.

On the other hand these guys are playing this game as their job. So one player is in essence getting a promotion while the other is stuck not moving forward at that time. I compare it to being selected for a big project that has a built in bonus and the bonus could be much greater if the project is successful. If I knew the selection for the project came down to me and one other person and they sat us down in a room and told us that they selected the other guy I would probably be pissed.

I don't think I would congratulate him or shake his hand at the time. I might later on, but at the time I would be pissed knowing that I missed out on a big opportunity. It would be hard for me to congratulate the other person when in my head I know that I should have been in that position.

This is possibly a very poor analogy, but it is what I have been thinking on the subject. Do I think Dennis can be a poor sport at times? Yes I do. Do I think it is necessary to congratulate someone with a handshake when you arent actually happy for them? Maybe but I feel pretty indifferent about it.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Playing aruond Asia, I've been stiffed on the handshake many times. The ones that do respond just hold out their limp hand for me to grab... handshaking can be a strange and uncomfortable thing for many Asian people.

I quit with the handshaking a long time ago and just give a little nod and a "Thanks for the game" after a match.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After thinking about this for a while I have a couple of thoughts.

When I am in a match and I lose I will always shake hands with the opponent. I feel it is the right thing to do. It is the sportsman type of thing to do if you ask me.

On the other hand these guys are playing this game as their job. So one player is in essence getting a promotion while the other is stuck not moving forward at that time. I compare it to being selected for a big project that has a built in bonus and the bonus could be much greater if the project is successful. If I knew the selection for the project came down to me and one other person and they sat us down in a room and told us that they selected the other guy I would probably be pissed.

I don't think I would congratulate him or shake his hand at the time. I might later on, but at the time I would be pissed knowing that I missed out on a big opportunity. It would be hard for me to congratulate the other person when in my head I know that I should have been in that position.

This is possibly a very poor analogy, but it is what I have been thinking on the subject. Do I think Dennis can be a poor sport at times? Yes I do. Do I think it is necessary to congratulate someone with a handshake when you arent actually happy for them? Maybe but I feel pretty indifferent about it.

99% of the time I would have no problems shaking hands after a match or whatever competition. I aint saying it would be the strongest shake but still I would shake without feeling any regret about it.

I dont think a handshake should be mandatory though. It should be mandatory that the guys stay civil but not fake. These are pros they aint kids a promoter or anyone else is raising. I'm thinking of a rival I knew and if he beat me I would be more likely to flip him off than shake his hand. Not that I would flip him off, just saying. If I beat him I would offer a shake, but just to rub it in. If he rejected the shake I would have more respect for him. That is the truth. I certainly wouldnt shake his hand to please q promoter or a crowd. That is what I meant earlier when I said a fake shake is a bltch move.

As for the bad image. An over reaction like flipping someone off would certainly not look good but on the other hand a natural reaction, especially one where the spectator can sense some tension is better for the game imo than a fake Im trying so hard to please everyone and be nice attitude. That is my opinion.

Dennis' reaction was natural and certainly not over the top. I had no problem with it.

Last edited:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
oh! by the way, today is Dennis Orcollo's birthday! :D

:happy-birthday::happydance:HAPPY BIRTHDAY DENNIS "SURIGAO" ORCOLLO!:happydance::happy-birthday:

2011WorldPoolMastersD1orcollo1.jpg

Last edited:

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always remember the conversation from the movie a bronx tale when it comes to people in the lime light such as athletes, movie, TV or music stars.

Young Calogero: Bill Mazeroski, I hate him. He made Mickey Mantle cry. The papers said the Mick cried.
Sonny: Mickey Mantle? That's what you're upset about? Mantle makes $100,000 a year. How much does your father make? If your dad ever can't pay the rent and needs money, go ask Mickey Mantle. See what happens. Mickey Mantle don't care about you. Why care about him?

Unless your an actual friend of DO or SVB why even care. I'm positive they don't care about mine or any other strangers opinion and they sure as heck won't ever pay my rent if i'm in trouble, so why care about their actions and feelings?

Their actual friends know who they really are. To me they're just people i watch play awesome pool.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
I think American players are actually the biggest offenders of this. I really wish I didn't use Dennis as my example. The guy is an awesome champion and has my respect.

After calling him a poor sport when you started this thread and basically maligning his whole reputation as a sportsman, you now turn around and say that he has your respect???! You sure have a funny way of showing it.

Last edited:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After calling him a poor sport when you started this thread and basically maligning his whole reputation as a sportsman, you now turn around and say that he has your respect???! You sure have a funny way of showing it.
What I really feel bad about is singling Dennis out because this disrespectful handshake is all too common in pool. I do like & respect Dennis and will continue to be among his fans.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I really feel bad about is singling Dennis out because this disrespectful handshake is all too common in pool. I do like & respect Dennis and will continue to be among his fans.

Its common in all sports. Losing sucks and some cant handle the self control it takes to suck it up and shake hands in a respectful way, all of the time. Good days and bad days I suppose.