When the line is not straight

Testa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a partners one hole match and a funny situation came up. My partner followed the ball in when making a ball in our opponents hole -
When something came up that has never happened to me before ...

There was a ball on the line and it was just over half to the good for them - Normally I would never have a problem with this except that -

A. The line was not straight visibly you could see a half inch difference from one side to the other
B. The line was on the center of the second diamond on one side and half an inch before the 2nd diamond on the other.

The ball lined up to the 2nd diamond was no good
The ball on the line was good
If the ball was on the line on the other side it was no good by alot

So we called multiple honest players to come over and give their opinion of what it should and what should happened and no one wanted to get involved with making a call in a money game.

We ended up just flipping a coin wether it was good or not.

Has anyone ever had this happen and if so what do you do?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Has anyone ever had this happen and if so what do you do?
The closest I've seen was when Irving Crane was going to shoot a ball that was spotted on the head spot (a fairly frequent situation at 14.1) and the spot was in the wrong place. I think the spot got fixed before he shot.

I'd say that the line is defined by the diamonds, not where some incompetent drew it in clearly the wrong place. (Or maybe the cloth was restretched but not remarked.)

I think the general principle is that if something is wrong with the equipment or situation, you do your best to fix it. An exception would be that if a ball settles and doesn't fall into a pocket, you leave it alone, even though it may have changed. Another is that it is generally impractical to re-level the table during a match.

As for the diamonds defining positions, I guess it's really a distance such as 1/4 of the way from the head cushion nose to the foot cushion nose. I saw a billiard table one time with 8 diamonds down the long rail. The problem is that 8 diamonds mark nine lengths. You need 7 diamonds to mark out 8 equal distances.

As for how to determine in/out of the kitchen accurately without a good line, one way is to freeze a ball on the side cushions even with the diamonds -- this is relatively easy to do and agree on. Then see how the edges of the three balls line up.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was playing a partners one hole match and a funny situation came up. My partner followed the ball in when making a ball in our opponents hole -
When something came up that has never happened to me before ...

There was a ball on the line and it was just over half to the good for them - Normally I would never have a problem with this except that -

A. The line was not straight visibly you could see a half inch difference from one side to the other
B. The line was on the center of the second diamond on one side and half an inch before the 2nd diamond on the other.

The ball lined up to the 2nd diamond was no good
The ball on the line was good
If the ball was on the line on the other side it was no good by alot

So we called multiple honest players to come over and give their opinion of what it should and what should happened and no one wanted to get involved with making a call in a money game.

We ended up just flipping a coin wether it was good or not.

Has anyone ever had this happen and if so what do you do?

The true line runs from the middle of each diamond....
Even if the billiard mechanic got 'out of line'.
Use the true line.....and ask the mechanic if he wants to play some.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The true line runs from the middle of each diamond....
Even if the billiard mechanic got 'out of line'.
Use the true line.....and ask the mechanic if he wants to play some.

You show good reasoning in the rules.
You may want to know who the mechanic is before you post up.Barry
Emerson<sp?> is recovering tables,and he plays way better then he
works!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You show good reasoning in the rules.
You may want to know who the mechanic is before you post up.Barry
Emerson<sp?> is recovering tables,and he plays way better then he
works!

Oh oh maybe i'm getting out
--------------------------- of line.
Is Mark Gregory looking for a stake horse?