Where is the CB going

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Way too many words.
If it takes 200 words to say what should take 10, you can bet it's not worth the effort to read it.
I never read any of it lol
I think my ol' uncle Al said it best.

pj
chgo

explain simply.jpg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Good thing I don't write for those who don't read.

If you're the kind of person who says things should be explainable in ten words you surely don't understand much.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Those who think word count = depth are in over their heads.

pj <- fortune cookie author
chgo
At the same time when you're learning/teaching a subject sometimes you have to be a bit more wordy. JB's jump cue example demonstrates this. You can teach one method with few words, but the student might not get it, so you teach them 5 methods and find the one that clicks. Parsing info from text or at the table is a strong skill to develop. Pool is a thinking man's game at higher levels.

To keep it short and punchy: Develop a good BS meter and use it frequently. ;) :)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good thing I don't write for those who don't read.

If you're the kind of person who says things should be explainable in ten words you surely don't understand much.
JB,

I like and respect you. I’m just a more verbal person not a reader. My ability to understand and communicate are very strong.

kindest regards
Eric

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I wrote something in the silly pro1 cures a bad stroke thread, no one even replied. It was meant for JB but anyone could of answered. The cb position for the next shot will always determine how you aim at the OB. Pro1 is kinda like going at it backwards.

I for myself find it sometimes entertaining, how less knowledge is around in *some cases". Even if they are around for decades with playing pool.
Just using different speed on the CB changes the aimpoint dramatically- how thin you hit the OB, how thick you hit the OB-- everything has an effect. If we then put another element like draw, follow or stun into the ring..... we ll get again different results. Not to speak about using also horizontal english- and then maybe mixing everything.......--- and that was the death of the holy aiming cow :) not matter which system we would use.

That s the main reason i get myself out of the most discussion on some topics- not good for my heart :p

hope you re doin great buddy- take care :)

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
I for myself find it sometimes entertaining, how less knowledge is around in *some cases". Even if they are around for decades with playing pool.
Just using different speed on the CB changes the aimpoint dramatically- how thin you hit the OB, how thick you hit the OB-- everything has an effect. If we then put another element like draw, follow or stun into the ring..... we ll get again different results. Not to speak about using also horizontal english- and then maybe mixing everything.......--- and that was the death of the holy aiming cow :) not matter which system we would use.

That s the main reason i get myself out of the most discussion on some topics- not good for my heart :p

I agree, to much is happening for an aiming system to have a chance. Most shots I shoot look horrible according to the ghostball....but they usually go in.🙂

Doing well. Hope you are too.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

It can all be boiled down to you gotta know how to hit it.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Forgot I posted this since I dont come around much.

I have been watching the replays of the 2019 US open and 2020 10 ball. I observed that putting the OB in the pocket wasnt the real concern of the player but where the CB needs to go was.

More time was spent in determining the final stop point for the CB than anything else. Watching straight pool, this became quite apparent.

Nothing much has been discussed about this. Just getting the CB to the OB……nothing after, yet this is the where the magic happens.

I saw some good safety battles where CB final stop point was critical.

What it looks like to me is they are visualizing the path of the CB, direction of travel. The only way to accurately do this is to also visualize the path, direction of travel of the CB to OB and then visualize the CB path after OB.

A pool shot is more than just the CB hitting the OB which is the only thing any aiming method does, except mine, get the CB to OB and has nothing to with after the OB.

Basiclly this means most aiming methods are just too narrow in focus to use.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgot I posted this since I dont come around much.

I have been watching the replays of the 2019 US open and 2020 10 ball. I observed that putting the OB in the pocket wasnt the real concern of the player but where the CB needs to go was.

More time was spent in determining the final stop point for the CB than anything else. Watching straight pool, this became quite apparent.

Nothing much has been discussed about this. Just getting the CB to the OB……nothing after, yet this is the where the magic happens.

I saw some good safety battles where CB final stop point was critical.

What it looks like to me is they are visualizing the path of the CB, direction of travel. The only way to accurately do this is to also visualize the path, direction of travel of the CB to OB and then visualize the CB path after OB.

A pool shot is more than just the CB hitting the OB which is the only thing any aiming method does, except mine, get the CB to OB and has nothing to with after the OB.

While this is probably the best post you’ve ever made you totally ruined it with the last sentence. Why would you ever be so short sighted that you would make that assumption?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Imagine a game wherein you received BIH after every successful shot.... In that game, a truly effective aiming system would be the end to be all.

Unfortunately there is no such game. At least not one I'm aware of. Therefore, on some level you are right. Aiming only gets you a tiny fraction of the way to being a decent player.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine a game wherein you received BIH after every successful shot.... In that game, a truly effective aiming system would be the end to be all.

Unfortunately there is no such game. At least not one I'm aware of. Therefore, on some level you are right. Aiming only gets you a tiny fraction of the way to being a decent player.
Again, why the assumption that an aiming system user doesn’t do everything else that needs to be done in order to be a decent player? Most likely the aiming system was learned after already being a decent player

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Again, why the assumption that an aiming system user doesn’t do everything else that needs to be done in order to be a decent player? Most likely the aiming system was learned after already being a decent player
I didn't say that... Merely that aiming is a tiny portion of the game as a whole, that some people can fixate on. Being a very proficient potter doesn't necessarily make you decent player.

"Decent" is of course a subjective designation.