Where's Cocobolo Cowboy?

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
He means well majority of the time, its unfortunate that he became a whipping boy on azb.
I personally didnt part take in that mindset, nor would I.
I respect everyone , unless Im giving a reason not to.
Im that way in life in general , not just on a platform.
Theres been times he brought the heat on himself, but those that been around him for yrs, know thats just his charecter.
Hes very opinionated for sure , as is everyone here to an extent, hence the reason this forum exist.
Despite his opinions, hes rarely malicious , unless hes provoked.
In the end, were all here for the same reason, to share our love for our sport.

With all that said, I hope all is well with the guy.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the allures that attracted me to the pool hall was the band of misfits that occupied it. Including myself. Cowboy fits right in with the rest of us jackasses. 🤪
Good point.

In regard to his crankiness and poor grammar, so what, big deal, who cares. I enjoyed his posts.

As my dad got in his 80s his head didn't work as well as it once did. He didn't spell well, some of his sentences didn't make sense, and sometimes he was even cranky. But you know what kind of man my dad was? The kind to quit high school and lie about his age to join WW2. After he fought in Europe he came home and started a family. To support his family, he worked two full-time jobs for years (one in a factory and another cutting meat). All while being the best father, husband, neighbor, friend, and American anyone could ever ask for. Yeah, I cut old folks I don't know some extra slack.

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I regard to his crankiness and poor grammar, so what, big deal, who cares. I enjoyed his posts.

I much prefer well written messages. Getting a headache deciphering poorly written posts littered with misspelled or misused words is not my idea of fun.

Dave

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He might be a PITA but he is one of our most prolific members of all time. Love him or hate him he has helped make AZ a more interesting place.

HE IS A CHARACTER!!
You nailed it. I have noticed that a lot of the characters that made pool halls so much fun have been dying off. I still love playing other people in pool halls. But without the characters, those days are not as memorable.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I became an engineer so I wouldn't have to deal with spelling, grammar, or paragraphs with more than one period; so I've never had a problem with his posts. Hoping to see more and that all is well.
When I was in High School (1970), the english teacher said:: "Mitch if you don't learn how to spell they will flunk you out of college"

I retorted, "When I get to college they will have computers that can correct the misspellings as I type them".

She then sent me to the guidance counselor (a good friend of the family). I relayed the conversation to her and we had a good laugh (I was the highest GPA in math and science in the entire 2100 person student body.)

A decade ago, I was home and my guidance counselor was visiting my parents and we replayed the story and talked about how prescient it was (if a bit premature).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I, too, was/am an engineer:: in my career, the thing that took me the longest to fully understand was how to write documents so that well meaning engineers could not misunderstand what I was writing; even getting to the point where actively malicious engineers could not misunderstand what I wrote.

It is a shame that it take an engineer his entire career to get really good at conveying information down the chain of command.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was in High School (1970), the english teacher said:: "Mitch if you don't learn how to spell they will flunk you out of college"

I retorted, "When I get to college they will have computers that can correct the misspellings as I type them".

She then sent me to the guidance counselor (a good friend of the family). I relayed the conversation to her and we had a good laugh (I was the highest GPA in math and science in the entire 2100 person student body.)

A decade ago, I was home and my guidance counselor was visiting my parents and we replayed the story and talked about how prescient it was (if a bit premature).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You were definitely ahead of your time. In 1976, I was still submitting punch cards to the IBM 360/65 to perform calculations for my masters thesis which was written by hand.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, too, was/am an engineer:: in my career, the thing that took me the longest to fully understand was how to write documents so that well meaning engineers could not misunderstand what I was writing; even getting to the point where actively malicious engineers could not misunderstand what I wrote.

It is a shame that it take an engineer his entire career to get really good at conveying information down the chain of command.
This should be posted in every high school English classroom in the country.

telinoz

Registered
If you read his posts in the voice of Rorschach from Watchmen movie.

Skip to 30 seconds in this video.
The sentence structure is bang on.

It works when he is posting in old grumpy man mode.
Ha ha.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

Moving into sales/marketing one year out of school helped me. Then working in Europe tuned my communication by reducing slang and complexity. I also know many engineers that still can't communicate effectively.

Dave <-- ~42 years out of engineering

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an article about him from Stroke Magazine, November 2009

Attachments

• stroke.jpg
    stroke.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 267