Whether to refinish older collectible cues...?

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does refinishing an older cue influence it's value? Is it actually a good idea or a bad idea to do it, and why? Does the cost justify a return, or should it just be done for personal preference only?
 
The answer depends on the cue, what level of collectability you are talking about, and the overall condition.
Many cues are collectible but not very valuable, so a refinish might not hurt the value.
There are too many variables in cues, refinish, restoration, and values, to decide
across the board whether to refinish or not to refinish.
 
I believe it depends on the cue. Not enough money to be a collector myself but i would like to think that just like you and I most collectors of the high end stuff have a cue builder or repair man that they use therefor would prefer a cue in origenal condition even if in poor condition.
 
Another question re refinishing

I've seen dozens of the Antique Roadshows and know they suggest leaving something in it's original state for a higher valuation but I'm not a big fan of patina - unless something is very old and very rare so I'm in favor of refinishing, especially if it adds to the functionality/playability.

So here's my question...will it matter if the original cuemaker does the restoration?

Thanks
Tony C
 
I've seen dozens of the Antique Roadshows and know they suggest leaving something in it's original state for a higher valuation but I'm not a big fan of patina - unless something is very old and very rare so I'm in favor of refinishing, especially if it adds to the functionality/playability.

So here's my question...will it matter if the original cuemaker does the restoration?

Thanks
Tony C

For the most part No...If you can get the original maker to do the refinish it will only enhance the value in most cases.
 
I had three tads and one Gina each refinished by Fred and Ernie. Sold all of them and pretty much did not lose a dime on the refinish costs. IMO, it is a GREAT feeling when you pick up a practically new cue that was made, in some cases, 40 years ago. Fred and Ernie did such a great job in every detail, they were practically new.
 
Imo

A friend of mine has an old Paradise cue. It is pathetic looking with hardly any finish on it and the points popping out. If it were mine I would want to see that cue the way it was when it left the shop new. I'm in favor of restoring it and breathing new life in it as long as the right person is doing the restoration like Proficient Billiards or Jerry R.
 
Back
Top