Which country has the best pool players?

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
The folks who live on Pacific islands seem to have the highest concentration of top players, both known and "unknown".
Fargorate is neat and all, but there are a ton of unknown studs who aren't "rated".
Fedor Gorst just lost 86 to 90, playing 10-ball, to Pinoy Baseth Macoibat on Sharks, for example.
Mike Page's rating system is very exclusive-- limited to those who compete in regularly fargorate events.
The Asian countries--- especially China-- are greatly under-represented because of this.
There's A LOT MORE fargorate 800-ish capable players in the world than most folks think lol.
I definitely take the fargorate top 100 lists with a big grain of salt.:cool:

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

If you took the top thousand players from each COUNTRY, I think America gets the nod. China might get it if they only played pool.
Well I guess we have more depth than most due to population, but if you are taking the top thousand players in the US, a LOT of those will not be top players. I don't know how many guys are sneaking around without a Fargo, but the 100th ranked player is 724. You might be getting below 650. If you took the top 10 players, I'd say Philippines.

tomatoshooter

The folks who live on Pacific islands seem to have the highest concentration of top players, both known and "unknown".
Fargorate is neat and all, but there are a ton of unknown studs who aren't "rated".
Fedor Gorst just lost 86 to 90, playing 10-ball, to Pinoy Baseth Macoibat on Sharks, for example.
Mike Page's rating system is very exclusive-- limited to those who compete in regularly fargorate events.
The Asian countries are greatly under-represented because of this.
There's A LOT MORE fargorate 800-ish capable players in the world than most folks think lol.
I definitely take the fargorate top 100 lists with a big grain of salt.:cool:
Yeah, I think Fargorate is great but there are some areas that are underrepresented.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Common Currency 7 EU countries don't use the Euro
Common Parliament yet each country still has its own parliament
Open Boarders Sort of but not quite. The borders between the UK and Ireland, and Australia and New Zealand are more open than "internal" borders within the EU yet noone considers either of those arrangements to be one country
Common Business Language English is a common business language worldwide.
Somewhat Common Defense yes but then there's NATO and other common defense arrangements. The UK and the EU would defend each other at a moment's notice yet noone considers the UK to be a part of the EU.
How much more does one need
It's nowhere close to being one country.

tabi1

Registered
Come and spend a week in the Philippines bouncing around to the little pool halls and to a few of the nicer places in Manila and I bet the naysayers would change your mind.

Another sport that Filipinos will amaze you is basketball, if they had a 6' and under league i would bet the Philippines could definitely compete way up there. Again, it's another sport that's available everywhere, is generally free to play so it's a no brainer for them to play well.

Maybe i am biased as a foreigner living in the land of legends for many years but I think the comment earlier about the # of 800 Fargo scores speaks volumes.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If you took the top thousand players from each COUNTRY, I think America gets the nod. China might get it if they only played pool.
You don't need to slide that goal post all the way to 1000. Instead how about we only consider players born in the USA...? You guys are definitely coming out on top now.

WobblyStroke

there isnt a chance in the world that the top 1000 in America are better than the top1000 in the Philippines. EVERYONE is good there. That was Fedor's experience of it. Check out his interview with Rogan for his takeaways from his trip to the Philippines. A bartender that doesnt even play much strung 2 racks of 9b on him. it was unlike anything Gorst has seen. And hes seen America.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
there isnt a chance in the world that the top 1000 in America are better than the top1000 in the Philippines. EVERYONE is good there. That was Fedor's experience of it. Check out his interview with Rogan for his takeaways from his trip to the Philippines. A bartender that doesnt even play much strung 2 racks of 9b on him. it was unlike anything Gorst has seen. And hes seen America.
Yes, he's had wings and has been to the shitter

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US is often overlooked for how many good players we have. Yes we don't have as many great players, but there's still a lot of pool being played here.

Best 3? Best 5? Best 10? Best 20? Answer would depend a lot on how many players are required
Exactly.

It's a fun conversation though, so I'll throw out a couple of countries that I plan to wager beer money on for the World Cup knowing that the ROI will be huge if they get lucky and take it down:

1) Myanmar, already mentioned in this thread
2) Peru; Gerson Martinez won the Markulis one-pocket this weekend, was a semifinalist in the 9-ball, and another Peruvian, whose name I forget, also made a deep run at the tourney.