which is better?

the_eradicator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for all you wood experts:

which is better between the 2 maple considering that they have the same growth rings, taper, straightness? curly maple(fiddleback, tiger, etc.) or birdseye maple? i love the look of a birdseye maple but don't know if a curly maple will have a better feel, hit than it....

and what wod will better complement it to have a really solid hitting cue?

Thanks in Advance:)

I have had two cues one with a rosewood handle with a birdseye forarm and butt sleave and one with a curly maple forarm and butt sleave with a rosewood handle. I think the curly maple one had a more crisp hit in my opinion.Both did play very well thoe.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
which is better

matthew staton said:
I have had two cues one with a rosewood handle with a birdseye forarm and butt sleave and one with a curly maple forarm and butt sleave with a rosewood handle. I think the curly maple one had a more crisp hit in my opinion.Both did play very well thoe.

Were both of your Qs made by the same maker & were they identical, as far as the taper of the shaft, joint material, weight etc? That is the only way you can compare 2 Qs...JER

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the_eradicator said:

which is better between the 2 maple considering that they have the same growth rings, taper, straightness? curly maple(fiddleback, tiger, etc.) or birdseye maple? i love the look of a birdseye maple but don't know if a curly maple will have a better feel, hit than it....

If they are both hard maple (the most extreme fiddleback/curly maples are usually soft maples), and as you say every physical property of both is identical, in my opinion they are virtually the same hit. Any hit differences (all other things in the cues beind identical as JER mentioned) probably can be attributed to the ages of each tree, where in the bole the squares came from, and how healthy the trees were as easily as they can be attributed to the different figures.

If it is a choice dilemma that makes you ask, choose the one that is most attractive to you.

If the curly maple is soft maple, and the birdseye hard maple, I would personally choose the birdseye.

just my opinions,
Kelly

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
the_eradicator said:

The one that pings louder is better for me.:)