Who are the greatest players who you have ever seen, who had an ugly looking stroke?

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
The other thing I also notice about McCready is that he looks at the cue ball last when he delivers his stroke. He appears to be very odd when it comes to the norm of pool excellence.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other thing I also notice about McCready is that he looks at the cue ball last when he delivers his stroke. He appears to be very odd when it comes to the norm of pool excellence.

It's called a "feel." :D

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm baffled by seeing Bustamante's name in this thread. His aiming and long stroke is definitely different but it's definitely not "ugly" to me. It's very beautiful and fluid looking.

In fact, I don't think it's possible to be a Pinoy/Pinay and have an ugly stroke. I've never seen one. :D

First name that came to my mind about ugly stroke, like man others here, is Allen Hopkins. But I did learn from watching (and experimenting) his stroke that having a short back swing is not a bad thing for accuracy.
I agree. Bustamante's stroke is definitely unusual but it isn't ugly by any means

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Can you imagine walking into a pool hall and seeing this guy shooting side-arm? You probably walked up to him first to get a game. Wonder how many times this happened before he became known? Hmmmm......

If I see a guy shooting side-armed and making balls it probably means he started playing at a very young age.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I see a guy shooting side-armed and making balls it probably means he started playing at a very young age.

That's just a myth....
I started playing at 6, I stood on a milk crate that I would kick around the table for each shot. My arm was never cocked off to one side. But, I do understand what your saying.....

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Does anybody know why they shot like that back then? It seems to really take away from your aim to shoot standing so upright

Early instructional materials for English billiards recommended standing upright and over time traditional technique developed to bending progressively lower. I would expect it is a similar progression for pool. As the standard of play improves and requires more accuracy the tendency is towards having your chin closer to the cue.

Since 14.1 was the dominant game for a long time players had an upright stance for a long time, since long pots are not nearly as common as 9 ball for example.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
top three

Allen Hopkins playing 9B
Allen Hopkins playing 1P
Allen Hopkins playing str8 pool

And yet played like burnin hell

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Early instructional materials for English billiards recommended standing upright and over time traditional technique developed to bending progressively lower. I would expect it is a similar progression for pool. As the standard of play improves and requires more accuracy the tendency is towards having your chin closer to the cue.

Since 14.1 was the dominant game for a long time players had an upright stance for a long time, since long pots are not nearly as common as 9 ball for example.

image.jpg

John Roberts Sr.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

I managed to find Edwin Kentfields (the man whom Roberts Sr. usurped as champion) book on billiards, one of the earliest of it's kind.

"1. On the Postion of The Player

This is a matter of the very first importance, for, should the beginner take a wrong position, he will not readily be able to correct it. He should stand firmly on the right leg, *if a right handed player), with the left a little bent, and the trunk nearly erect, or not more inclined forward than may be necessary for the left hand to rest with ease upon the table."
Edwin Kentfield, 1839

I've read elsewhere that at that time it was considered a fundamental flaw to bend too low.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody know why they shot like that back then? It seems to really take away from your aim to shoot standing so upright
When Straight Pool was dominant -- especially pre-WWII -- 5x10 tables were dominant as well. It was easier to see the entire table layout from an upright stance and 5x10s were the tables on which oldtimers learned the game.

Arnaldo

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
When Straight Pool was dominant -- especially pre-WWII -- 5x10 tables were dominant as well. It was easier to see the entire table layout from an upright stance and 5x10s were the tables on which oldtimers learned the game.

Arnaldo

I have no problem on my 5 x 10, chin on Q

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hopkins by Bill Porter BW.jpgAllen Hopkins playing 9B
Allen Hopkins playing 1P
Allen Hopkins playing str8 pool

And yet played like burnin hell[/QUOTE]

I agree. I've seen every top player for the last 60 years and Hopkins' stroke is the ugliest.
I asked him about his stroke and he told me that after the tip of your cue strikes whitey, nothing that you do with your follow-through makes a damn bit of difference. A follow-through may look beautiful and help you keep your stroke straight and true, but once the tip leaves whitey, nothing else matters.

Also, an Honorable Mention must go to Mike Davis, Jr.
Someday soon, I'm sure his "pumping-up-and-down" stroke will yield a gusher.
Yes, he's hard to watch, but a nice guy.

Last edited: