Who Beat Mosconi in Exhibition?

I'm not aware that such a match EVER took place, Steve. Mosconi had withering contempt for 9-ball, and I doubt he played banks at all except during the Depression when he was still unknown and playing to help keep his family afloat. Youngblood, like almost all of Mosconi's Chicago opponents, was getting 150-100 for the 14.1 exhibition. But how many players ever got 100 points, or ran 55 balls, on the champ? GF
 
All I know is that Jimmy Caras dropped him twice on ABC's Wide World of Sports. I suppose you could blame the ref for the rematch, but Jimmy still got him twice. Doesn't really matter anyway. Irv Crane was, to me, the finest of them all anyway.

tim
 
I was told that a guy named Norman Manicelli beat Mosconi by running a 150 off of mosconis break, and mosconi refused to play him again whenever he came back into town. Dont know the year, but it happened at the Gold Crown Billiards parlor in New London, CT. That room, still in the same location it has been since it opened, has a huge amount of history in it.
 
I was just in that room about 3 months ago, giving a lesson. Nice room, with very well kept equipment!

Mosconi was pretty famous for "choosing" who he did and did not want to play. Like Jay mentioned, when someone actually stepped up and played well, he would often try to intimidate them to 'dog it' and let him play, as "they (the audience) was there to see HIM!" :rolleyes: One friend of mine, who posts here, ran 99 on Mosconi, and then was told in no uncertain terms to MISS NOW! My friend did, only out of respect for a world champion, but certainly could have played on, and probably run out.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Dagwoodz said:
I was told that a guy named Norman Manicelli beat Mosconi by running a 150 off of mosconis break, and mosconi refused to play him again whenever he came back into town. Dont know the year, but it happened at the Gold Crown Billiards parlor in New London, CT. That room, still in the same location it has been since it opened, has a huge amount of history in it.
 
Joe Moran

Joe Moran beat Willie in a 14.1 exhibition match in Buffalo, New York. Joe was the mentor to Danny DiLaberto when Danny was playing pool in Buffalo. And Danny wrote about Joe Moran in his book.

Willie came to Buffalo for an exhibition match. He asked if anyone wanted play. Many spectators knew of Joe's talent and yelled for Joe to play him.

As I am told Willie played safe and Joe Moran ran 150 and out.
It was at that time Willie said "I have to go now and catch a plane."

Best Regards,
Hal
 
Bob Jewett said:
The referee was a total idiot. His main job seemed to be to shark the players with waving arms and missed calls. Also, he didn't help with the bridge as he should have.

The lack of call at 15:05 was questionable. I wonder what rules they were playing by.
I agree. The referee was so intrusive that I can't help thinking he was told to call the ball, pocket, and shot path prior to each shot. The producer may have insisted upon that so as to help the non pool playing TV audience understand the action. Otherwise if Mosconi hadn't agreed to it, he probably would have decked the guy...:D In other broadcasts it was common for the referee to just announce which ball was being played.

Doc
 
stikapos said:
All I know is that Jimmy Caras dropped him twice on ABC's Wide World of Sports. I suppose you could blame the ref for the rematch, but Jimmy still got him twice. Doesn't really matter anyway. Irv Crane was, to me, the finest of them all anyway.

tim

Isn't there some quote about a little knowledge?

When it mattered - championship competition, Willie domminated
Caras, and literally crushed Crane. Irv and Willie played a block format challenge match - Mosconi outscored Crane around 2 to 1.

Dale
 
Last edited:
Back
Top