Who makes the best cue in the $175 to $250 price range?

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which of the following makes the best cues in the $175 to $250 price range? McDermott, Lucasi, Viking or someone else?:confused:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which of the following makes the best cues in the $175 to $250 price range? McDermott, Lucasi, Viking or someone else?:confused:

Just depends on...what you like to shoot with. I use a Meucci to play with. All my other cues just collect dust.:)

I don't know if you are looking for quality or a cue to pocket balls. Meucci maybe low on quality, but I like shooting with one. My shaft is just under 13mm and don't have any dots.

Saimaja

Registered
I have tried several under 500€ and Joss was my choise.

Everything has little different hit.

Jarno

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Mike Erwin Plain Jane with 3/8x10 joint.
A few Joss cues can be found in that price range.
Joss will usually have the stiffer hit out of the cues that have been mentioned so far. I haven't played a Viking, but I hear they have a fairly stiff hit. I've played a few McD's and Lucasi's and although they don't feel the exact same, I would say they have a medium or about average stiffness to the hit. A Dale Perry might fit into your criteria also. DP's have a stiff feel to the hit. I liked the feel of the few Joss cues more than the couple DP's I owned.

jgobigred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal opinion of lucasi is if you buy one, just get the $90 eBay one. Great cue for the money. Otherwise the Viking or McDermott sneaky is about $250. If you could go up to $350 you could get a Diveney sneaky and that would be your best bet as it would retain its value unlike the others.

dimeshooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue

I would recommend a Dale Perry with his LD shaft. My buddy has one and he loves it. It hits about as good as a $600 Predator cue.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just depends on...what you like to shoot with. I use a Meucci to play with. All my other cues just collect dust.:)

I don't know if you are looking for quality or a cue to pocket balls. Meucci maybe low on quality, but I like shooting with one. My shaft is just under 13mm and don't have any dots.

I'm looking for as much quality as I can get in my (regrettably low) price range. I play often and am always practicing to improve various aspects of my game. I'm not happy with current cue and am looking for something better. I've considered something with an LD shaft but the really good ones are way above what I can afford right now.

I've heard that new Meucci cues are not as good as the ones they used to make; also, I'm not sure there are any in that price range. I'll look.

Playin4Dinner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1

I would recommend a Dale Perry with his LD shaft. My buddy has one and he loves it. It hits about as good as a $600 Predator cue.

I agree here.... Even though most people on here knock DP....

My buddy is pretty good friends with Dale... Been trying to get me to switch over from predator for the last decade... He gave me one for my birthday with a dp-r shaft... I think thats his ld shaft.... Anyway, my original w2w sneaky pete predator player is now my break cue.... Before I picked up the DP, all I could play with was predator... Pretty smooth transition for me with that shaft that he makes....

Here's a vid of me playin the ghost w my new dp w/dpr shaft....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Y3S4Ic5nI

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get you a older meucci with a red dot or pre-dot shaft on e-bay in your price range. Or better yet, get a meucci and have a shaft made for it. I have bought many cues since I've been back playing and none I've bought play as good as a older meucci with a custom shaft.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can probaly pick up a Mike gulassy sneaky for around 200$ as he has a summer sale going on with 20% off everything on his site. Sneakys are not on there but he has them. Get the # and call.

And his cues are going to hit better than those production cues, by far

www.babysproshop.com

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

you can pick up an OB sneaky pete for about $350 with your choice of LD shaft. Yeah, for just another hundo, you will never need to buy another cue unless you want to because of the looks, cuemaker, investment, etc.

Best thing I ever did after 30 years of playing pool, and I've had plenty of customs and still do.... they just have OB shafts now.

TheThaiger

Banned

My buddy is pretty good friends with Dale... Been trying to get me to switch over from predator for the last decade... He gave me one for my birthday with a dp-r shaft... I think thats his ld shaft.... Anyway, my original w2w sneaky pete predator player is now my break cue.... Before I picked up the DP, all I could play with was predator... Pretty smooth transition for me with that shaft that he makes....

How does the dp-r compare to the 314-2 in terms of deflection?

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I googled Dale Perry cues and followed the link to his website: http://www.dpcues.com . I'll look around on his site. Thanks.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can probaly pick up a Mike gulassy sneaky for around 200$ as he has a summer sale going on with 20% off everything on his site. Sneakys are not on there but he has them. Get the # and call.

And his cues are going to hit better than those production cues, by far

www.babysproshop.com

I got the number(s): 864–458–7662 or 864–430–7797, and looked at his site. The cues there start at $500 and go way up from there. That's pretty rarified air for my current budget.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I googled Dale Perry cues and followed the link to his website: http://www.dpcues.com . I'll look around on his site. Thanks.

He also sells on EBay under dpcustomcues. Just make sure of the shaft taper you want. Mine has a nice pro taper but I've seen others that have a more conical, snooker type taper, which I don't like.

The rule of thumb around here on the dp Ebay cues is don't spend much more than $150. All his cues in this price range will play about the same so just keep looking until you see one that's looks nice to you. But don't fall in love and overbid because another will be along shortly.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the number(s): 864–458–7662 or 864–430–7797, and looked at his site. The cues there start at $500 and go way up from there. That's pretty rarified air for my current budget.

you got to call him. his sneakys are awesome with ringwork, for around 2/225 i promise you. excellent cues for the price. they are not on the website.

Foolio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give Al romero a try. You can get a nice sneaky made to your specs that's right in your price range.