Who makes the best low deflection shaft?

MalibuMike

Banned
Pics of all my shafts

1. Tiger
2. BD SS360-2
3. Mezz Pro II
4. Jacoby Edge

biggest disapointments:
The new OB "PLUS" shafts, worse the Predator!
All marketing, low-grade wood, high unpredictable deflection!
Squirts like crazy!

Best Break Shaft:
1. Mezz Deep Impact Pro (Ash)
2. Tiger IceBreaker
3. Schon Jump/Break

Attachments

• 20150425_172032.jpg
    20150425_172032.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,062
  • 20141202_225704.jpg
    20141202_225704.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,153
  • 20150425_153016.jpg
    20150425_153016.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,123
  • 20150523_133759.jpg
    20150523_133759.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,176

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only tried 3 of them, but I'll put them in order of how much I like them:

Mezz WX700
Predator 314-2

OB Classic +

whatevrdoumean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was using OB 131 with Classic + shaft. Tried a Mezz Sneaky with WX700 shaft and now I am hooked. Also used Predator 314 but didn't like it. For me it's Mezz. Michael

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had previously said Mezz, but having been trying a Jacoby Hybrid for the last 4 days and although the Mezz is very good, Jacoby Hybrid seems to be a little bit better. Top of my LD shaft list now.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jacoby Edge

I've just recently decided to try out LD shafts for the first time. I've been playing with southwests for the past 15 years or so. I figure if it doesn't work out, I can just go back to my SW.

I hit with a buddy's ob shaft (not sure what kind but it had a wood spiral ferrule) and it hit ok but I didn't have much to compare it to and it didn't blow me away. Then I hit with a local guy's Jacoby edge shaft and it felt pretty good, subjectively better than the ob, so I bit the bullet and ordered one and have been playing with it for a few weeks. I put it on an AE butt that I had modified by Ernie Martinez (I had him extend the wrap all the way down to the buttcap).

I really like the way it plays and feels. The tip took a while to get used to and the deflection was different than my SW, but it's not so different that I wasn't able to adjust to it quickly.

It looks much different than a maple shaft in that the laminated strips of wood are different shades and one in particular is much lighter than the rest. It doesn't bother me and in fact I think it could possibly help in lining things up, but I haven't spent much time exploring that yet.

I've been trying to determine if it's more radially consistent than the maple shafts I used to play with but honestly I can't tell one way or the other.

I'm not sold on the tip but I'll give it a few more weeks at least and might try a triangle in the future since that's what I've played with for years.

Overall, I like this shaft and the lower deflection but I don't think it's 'that' different than what I was used to with a regular maple shaft. I was hoping that it might help me miss less on long shots when I had to use english, but I can't say that's the case so far. I'm going to stick with it for the next year or so at least.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the SS360/2 on a couple of cues. I like it very much.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Ld

I think it`s pointless to state my prefrence, as the previous posters have proven how diverse opinions are.
The big players: OB and Predator both have their fans and i tend to notice that people who like OB shafts don`t like Predator and vice versa..
Then you have all the other products from Mezz, McDermott, Lucasi, Katana, Tiger etc.
Most of us have not had the possibility to try all these shafts, atleast not in any extensive way and with the same butt, so it`s almost impossible to do a real accurate comparison.
If you google LD shaft rating you will find a scale, where most popular shafts are tested in regards to how much squirt the shafts have.
The test says nothing about feel, sound, price, availability, quality etc.
So it`s limited knowledge you can derive from this.

The only way to be sure is to test as many shafts as you can.
Remember that a LD shaft will not make you a pro over night. Infact i think that LD shafts is mostly marketing, but you should never overlook the importance of the feel good factor.
Personally i used the Mezz hybrid II for a couple of months, and it`s among the most expensive shafts on the market and i did not like it!
However the Mezz WX900 has a great feel, but still a hit that is a bit too stiff for me.
So i ended up buying the cheapest LD shaft on the market: The Katana shaft and I`m very happy with it, it feels and sounds like a regular maple shaft, it has a short 12.5mm ferrule and comes in all the normal thread patterns.

So if you don`t have the posibillity to try alot of LD shafts, the Katana shafts are very cheap ($160) so it`s not a huge loss if you don`t like it.

+1 on your professional opinion .

Nineballchamp

Certified Cue Addict
Silver Member
Mezz without question IMO, you still will have the 'feel' of a traditional shaft with the benefits of low deflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk