Who makes the best Regular Shafts??

If you want LD in a tight grained, high performance, maple shaft that retains "feel", check out Hangemhigh's (Tommy) ferrule-less shafts, made by the former McDaniel shop group...these are ultra high quality shafts. I personally have two ferrule-less Black Boar shafts that are just amazing, but there's no way he would fit them to anything but a BB...check out Tommy's...
:p
 
If you want LD in a tight grained, high performance, maple shaft that retains "feel", check out Hangemhigh's (Tommy) ferrule-less shafts, made by the former McDaniel shop group...these are ultra high quality shafts. I personally have two ferrule-less Black Boar shafts that are just amazing, but there's no way he would fit them to anything but a BB...check out Tommy's...
:p

What about that darrin hill you got. the shafts on that look like they're no joke!
 
Those were matched at weight, tone and 34&35 rpi by Eric Crisp, magnificent players but not LD, but they would have made great ferrule-less shafts. That cue was sold.
 
Those were matched at weight, tone and 34&35 rpi by Eric Crisp, magnificent players but not LD, but they would have made great ferrule-less shafts. That cue was sold.

yeah i actually brought them up because the thread is "who makes the best Regular Shafts??". somehow it got turned into a LD shaft thread.
 
JOE BARRINGER has the best shaft wood PERIOD now who makes the best shaft is depending on the hit that you are looking for
 
I believe Maple is graded like beef. I don't know the exact grading system for wood, so I'm sticking with the grading system for beef.

In beef, the top grade is USDA Prime, then comes Choice, Select, Standard, Commercial and runs down to Canner grade. Prime makes up 2%, so it'll go to top restaurants, high end butcher shops. Your local supermarket is not going to get the same beef as Peter Luger's, or Gallaghers steak house. Your local supermarket will sell Choice. Walmart known for low prices sells Select, so that's why their prices are lower than the supermarkets.

The major cue production houses are not going to buy the very best quality wood (Prime). They'll buy quality wood (Choice and Select), and build to fit a price point. Due to profit margins, McDermott may not use the same shaftwood on their $1000 cues as their $100 cues.

A company like Predator can probably get away with using lower grade wood to build their laminated shafts. Their secret for quality control lies in the lamination process. Think how hamburger and sausage meat is created and how they can fine tune the quality and flavor. Their special sauce for limited deflection is patented 6 inches of space in the front, and light weight ferrule.

I'm guessing the buyers of Prime, or the best wood grade will be instrument makers and high end cue makers (Szamboti, Southwest, Balabushka). A couple of people here have stated if you wanted to get a custom maker's cue on a budget, get their sneaky pete or plain jain model. It should have the same shaft wood as the cuemaker's other offering.
 
I have a McDermott cue with a standard production shaft. It's over 10 years old and as straight as it was when it was made. I don't know whether McDermott makes the best shaft out there but I will say that if they're not, then they're mighty close.

Hi, McDermott, in my opinion, the G core plays as well as any LD pieced shaft I've tried. Alot of effort into the technology. The G core is a solid piece, with a core. Not pieced, or laminated. The Black dot being the worst of the "High Tech". Again, from my playing with them all experience, that is how they perform for me.
 
There is no way you are going to get a definate answer since the taper/hit/tip etc will all be different....not to mention that people have different cleaning and care procedures.

I have seen people that in between shots have a peice of sand paper and they are going at the shaft with a vengance.There are others who don't do anything to a shaft inculding cleaning....all this will change the way a shaft plays.

Also...no two shafts will be the same....everyone has thier "favorite" even if they are the exact same specs from the exact same cuemaker.

For me...what I have found is that I prefer a shaft that is in the 3.9 to 4.1 weight range...(4.0 being ideal)....and I prefer a specific shaft taper.

That all being said....Bryan (BCM Cues) has a nack for picking very nice peices of wood...(as shown in his work)....That skill carries over to selecting good shaft wood as well.:wink:
 
yeah i actually brought them up because the thread is "who makes the best Regular Shafts??". somehow it got turned into a LD shaft thread.

Sigh, there's a lot of good things about getting old, but losing your mind isn't one of them. Sorry, you're right...got sidetracked by LD, and not only that, I was thinking of custom when he clearly asked about production!
:o
 
Back
Top