Why are Masse Cues not used in normal play?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think Efren is less reluctant to shoot masse shots than most. I've heard that when he was left frozen or nearly frozen to a ball on the foot rail at one pocket with the shot pointed at his opponent's pocket, he just played a little masse shot, circled around the object ball and brought the cue ball back to the foot rail on the other side of the object ball so the balls then pointed at his pocket.

It's on youtube somewhere. Ernesto Dominguez showed me this shot in Taiwan once as well. We were all at the pool room and he started doing a bunch of little masse' shots like that which were all very cool.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's on youtube somewhere. Ernesto Dominguez showed me this shot in Taiwan once as well. We were all at the pool room and he started doing a bunch of little masse' shots like that which were all very cool.
And as has been pointed out, none of them requires a special masse cue.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And as has been pointed out, none of them requires a special masse cue.

The OP question could have been answered with a simple answer: They are unnecessary.

Yet, we have a few folks that are blabbing that masse shots come up often and would be easier with a masse cue. I wholeheartedly agree with Bob, they are not required.

CueNut40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ky Boy if you are added masse to your one pocket game then you and I need to run to the nearest pool hall and match up.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ky Boy if you are added masse to your one pocket game then you and I need to run to the nearest pool hall and match up.

LOL

I'm no one pocket player and not much of a player at any other game either.

My thread title could have been worded differently but wouldn't you agree that someone highly proficient with a mc could use it as an advantage maybe after the break in one pocket?

Again, I'm only trying to think outside the box a little. And maybe the time required to master a mc just isn't worth any advantage gained by doing so.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread just won't die eh? No- a masse cue would not give you an advantage over your opponent. Pretty much any masse that would need to be done can be done with a regular cue. You would also be laughed at for pulling one out.

ivicafranic

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Because you don't have to play Masse all of the time.
And the second even more important reason is that they are not good for draw shots.
But the most important reason is there are no cases made for them,so if players would start playing with them case makers would start building entirely new designed cases because of that.
My opinion is that Masse cues are not good because all of them are different in size and you can't get adjusted easily to cues that are different in size.Also,theirs rubber bumbers are not good quality.
My 2 cents,but ask Wendy for more and even better explanation:wink::wink::wink:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I think masse cues should be mandatory and that the break in 9 ball should be done by masseing the CB into the pack!