Why are Masse Cues not used in normal play?

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw the video again of Florian Kohler's and wondered why masse cues are not used in normal play? Are there rules against using them?

Admittedly, I've never used a masse cue and know nothing about the level of difficulty in using one. By the same token I didn't know how to use a jump cue until I tried one out either and it was pretty easy.

But either way, I do recognize that using my regular playing cue for a small masse of the cue ball is tricky sometimes but a masse cue would maybe make that easier.

It's just a thought and probably some rules against using them I'm guessing since they aren't used regularly but wonder what makes them different than using a jump stick; another specialty cue.

Gary

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Primarily it's because a full Masse shot is almost never needed in a game of pool and there is almost always a higher percentage solution.

I believe Masse cues have a ton of weight near the tip but I haven't ever used one either. The cue that florian uses is about 1k I believe if you were interested.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Primarily it's because a full Masse shot is almost never needed in a game of pool and there is almost always a higher percentage solution.

I believe Masse cues have a ton of weight near the tip but I haven't ever used one either. The cue that florian uses is about 1k I believe if you were interested.

I won't disagree with that but I've seen instances where a masse cue would have been handy. While it's not something to be used commonly (prob less than a jump cue), I have been played safe before with the object ball close to a pocket and the masse cue would have helped.

I also think it's something that could be incorporated with enough practice. Lts of folks had to practice with the jump cue before using one in competition especially at varying distance between the CB and obstructing ball.

Gary

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of masse shafts that go on the two butts I currently use. I may have used one once in a game in the past 30 years. In general practical masse shots can be done with a normal shaft.

The masse shaft is short so the total cue length is about 50 inches. This makes the balance point well below your grip when in masse position. There is no special weight in the masse shafts I have.

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure about the legality of it in game, but I do know that it wears your tip that much faster and destroys the felt on the table.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masse cues have no use in the modern game of pool.

If you can't kick or jump, then you are hooked and a masse cue will not help.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Shouldn't hurt the cloth at all, if done correctly.

The force of the downward strike on the CB is enough to put those white burn marks in the cloth should you be fortunate enough to stop the tip before it hits the table.

Look at the cloth on the table Florian uses... it's destroyed...

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The force of the downward strike on the CB is enough to put those white burn marks in the cloth should you be fortunate enough to stop the tip before it hits the table.

Look at the cloth on the table Florian uses... it's destroyed...

This. My home table is destroyed all up and down the rail as well from when I got bored over the years during practice and did some trick shot stuff. Room owners don't care if you are so hooked you can't kick or jump to get to the object ball. They care more about the cost to replace the cloth should you Masse and **** it up.

As a side note: the little white friction burns on the cloth are not from tip contact. They are made from the cueball itself. It's also one of the reasons that some rooms make you break using a break cloth.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Saw the video again of Florian Kohler's and wondered why masse cues are not used in normal play? Are there rules against using them?

Admittedly, I've never used a masse cue and know nothing about the level of difficulty in using one. By the same token I didn't know how to use a jump cue until I tried one out either and it was pretty easy.

But either way, I do recognize that using my regular playing cue for a small masse of the cue ball is tricky sometimes but a masse cue would maybe make that easier.

It's just a thought and probably some rules against using them I'm guessing since they aren't used regularly but wonder what makes them different than using a jump stick; another specialty cue.

Gary

Masse' cues are thicker at the tip with a taper that doesn't work well for regular shots.

I have never seen anyone pull out a masse' cue in a regular game. They are specialty cues used in artistic billiards. Using them in a game would make masse' shots much easier but like jump cues would require a lot of practice to be precise.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Masse cues have no use in the modern game of pool.

If you can't kick or jump, then you are hooked and a masse cue will not help.

Completely disagree. Having made masse' shots many times in games and having used masse' cues in practice I know that they would be quite useful.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Completely disagree. Having made masse' shots many times in games and having used masse' cues in practice I know that they would be quite useful.

This is how it's done with a normal pool cue...while playing one pocket...:grin:

Attachments

• JB - the Jumping Bean.jpg
    JB - the Jumping Bean.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,234
Last edited:

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously, I would take more practice with a masse cue to use efficiently but maybe the reward doesn't justify the work put in to achieve that level.

The jump cue was pretty easy to incorporate into the game considering the level of difficulty of using it to goal.

I could see a masse cue having more of an effect at say one pocket.

Gary

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only reason massé cues are not used more often has to do with the 3-cue rule. More people would rather have a jump cue than a massé cue.

On the other hand, I have to perform a 1/4" to 1/2" massé just abut every match, sometimes more often. These are more of an arcing shot than a real massé, but I make most of them.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only reason massé cues are not used more often has to do with the 3-cue rule. More people would rather have a jump cue than a massé cue.

On the other hand, I have to perform a 1/4" to 1/2" massé just abut every match, sometimes more often. These are more of an arcing shot than a real massé, but I make most of them.

Wouldn't a jump break cue count as one cue and playing cue another?

Like you, I have shots that I would definitely entertain the thought of using a masse cue in a match.

I realize the learning curve is greater than a jump cue but I see it having a place as well.

Gary

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Curve shots are useful and you don't need a masse cue to do them, but it's a rare situation when a full-on masse shot is a more viable option over a kick or jump. I can see how being able to masse would be valuable, especially in games like one pocket, but I'd rather spend my hours of practice working on more practical skills than on a shot that would come up once in a blue moon.

And maybe it's just me, but I feel like masses are one of those shots that need warming up to get a feel for them, so I can't really imagine being able to step up and successfully nail a full-on masse in the middle of a match.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Sounds like you need more practice.

Or it sounds like maybe you need to play more. Sometimes the opponent leaves you in a position where the masse' is the best shot.

And the fact that my masse' shots are often successful is proof enough that I have indeed put in plenty of practice on them.

I guess that I would want to play guys who don't know how to masse' the cue ball. That greatly improves my chances when they face those shots. Because they are scared and unable to shoot them they are forced to consider kicking or jumping when the masse' is the best shot.

This happened to me two nights ago in league. I left my opponent hooked where a shallow masse' would have been the right and high percentage shot but he was scared to shoot it and went for a jump that was very low percentage instead.