Why did Jasmin miss at hill-hill?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sometimes I think we all forget that the players are human, not machines. We have all missed those kind of shots a lot more than the good players. That's why they are playing for the big bucks and we are on here talking about coming in 3rd in a $500 added last year. Johnnyt

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
She played her normal speed, the pressure was there, but I don't think it got to her. She was thinking
ahead, concentrated more on her CB control for her next shot, it happens to the best of them.

I'm sure she will come back stronger than before, and this just proves to all and sundry that she can
hang with the big dawgs out there. Go Jasmin!

I dont think spending more than a minute or two on every shot is her normal speed. I had seen her took difficult shots before at a much faster pace in other tournaments. and it did get the job done much better at what she did against PulPul. btw, some of those tourneys have shot clocks on them.

I'm not bashing Jasmine in any way. I'm just saying that she is much better when she isn't contemplating too much on her shots. less thinking, less mistakes.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
I dont think spending more than a minute or two on every shot is her normal speed. I had seen her took difficult shots before at a much faster pace in other tournaments. and it did get the job done much better at what she did against PulPul. btw, some of those tourneys have shot clocks on them.

I'm not bashing Jasmine in any way. I'm just saying that she is much better when she isn't contemplating too much on her shots. less thinking, less mistakes.

She was on the TV table for 3 straight days, she might not take a minute or so if the table layout was
pretty easy to read, but she did took some time on the more complicated patterns that she previously
encountered. Try catching the Engert match, that pretty much sums it up for me, and it was a good
gauge on how long/short she takes her time depending on the situation.

I'm pretty sure most of the pros will take more than the usual time if the game was a win-or-go home
situation, and hill-hill at that...

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
Well, how about my take on Jasmin's miss? You've almost quoted everybody, you might as well quote me...

Well, he didnt quote me. What a pity, since my reply in post 11 was the correct one:wink:

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooladdict said:
Well, he didnt quote me. What a pity, since my reply in post 11 was the correct one:wink:

I'll quote you then and I'm just paying it forward!
1202.gif

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
unknownpro said:
She didn't choke on the shot, imo. She made an error that is very common in pressure situations if you recognize it.

I pretty sure that is what they call CHOKING!!!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
unknownpro said:
She tried really hard to make the ball, using low left english. By concentrating on making the ball she stared at the contact point on the object ball. When you try really hard you tend to stroke through very well. This does not allow the cueball to curve, so you brick it thick. The same as happened to John Schmidt against Harriman late in their first all around match.

With low left english her aim point for her tip needs to be far off the left edge of the object ball. If she had actually been trying to draw the ball hitting it harder she's not likely to make that mistake. Hitting it easier you tend to think it won't deflect so much, but with a good stroke it will still deflect and it won't curve back so it hits thick.

It was an aiming error. In my experience outside english shots are nearly always hit thick in these situations. If you hit it too thin, it could be a bad stroke pulling up and letting the cueball curve, or just too wide of an aim. Too thick and it is always an aim error, imo.

I think she is a great player and your explanation is petty good, but, isn't that something learned in about 30 minutes after you start playing this game.

Everybody does it or has done it.. Maybe it's a shot she has had trouble with lately and owas over-thinking it . Who knows! If there weren't mises, it wouln't be much of a game. I'll bet she had it figured out about 10 seconds after the error though.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:
Sometimes I think we all forget that the players are human, not machines. We have all missed those kind of shots a lot more than the good players. That's why they are playing for the big bucks and we are on here talking about coming in 3rd in a $500 added last year. Johnnyt

No joke!! LMAO!! I've missed shots in my career that were far harder to miss than to make.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
She was on the TV table for 3 straight days, she might not take a minute or so if the table layout was
pretty easy to read, but she did took some time on the more complicated patterns that she previously
encountered. Try catching the Engert match, that pretty much sums it up for me, and it was a good
gauge on how long/short she takes her time depending on the situation.

I'm pretty sure most of the pros will take more than the usual time if the game was a win-or-go home
situation, and hill-hill at that...

I would had believed you if it were KID DELICIOUS. :grin:

blueridge

Banned
Da Bank said:
Not that I find ANYTHING wrong with homosexuality at all, but the rumor I have heard is that Jasmin may or may not be homosexual. Does anyone know if there is truth to this? If so, you can count one man whose heart is broken and dreams are shattered LOL. If she was homosexual I would continue to be a huge Jasmin fan. If she was bisexual then she might become my favorite human being on the face of the earth and i'd have to have a long desperate talk with my girlfriend about possible Jasmin scenarios! :wub:

There are a lot of lesbian / bisexual women on the professional tour so I would guess yes to 1 of the 2.

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooladdict said:

Sorry, Drew pulled had the shot clock counting down on me...

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
unknownpro said:
Why did Jasmin miss in her hill-hill match last night, for those of you that saw the match?

Can you show the shot on CueTable?

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
I think she is a great player and your explanation is petty good, but, isn't that something learned in about 30 minutes after you start playing this game.

Everybody does it or has done it.. Maybe it's a shot she has had trouble with lately and owas over-thinking it . Who knows! If there weren't mises, it wouln't be much of a game. I'll bet she had it figured out about 10 seconds after the error though.

Even among very good players, the tendency is to look at the object ball contact point, but your tip usually cannot go to that point. If you look there every shot your stroke must be either be crooked or actually aligned toward a different spot and you may be depending on curve. Many so called chokes, are actually excellent strokes. But those strokes in high pressure situations where you are trying really hard to make the ball your tip tends to go more toward where you are focusing your eyes.

It was no hanger anyway. She couldn't hit it hard or she'd have been coming back toward the side pocket. Hitting it slow you think it will curve and afraid to aim wide enough. But it doesn't when you stroke it right. Many players wind up thinking they somehow dogged a shot when they actually stroked that shot better than previous shots. A good stroke gives maximum deflection and minimum curve. If you've been depending on minimizing deflection and curving your cueball you will get unexpected results.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
I haven't seen anyone comment on the fact that Ms. Ouschan chose to play in this tournament rather than the WPBA event in Oregon going on at the same time. I have to give her kudos for that, not to mention beating Thomas Engert 9-4!

Does anyone know if this is just a one-off or she just bypassing the WPBA and trying to go all out for the traditionally male-only events like this? And if so will she have problems with some events, like the US Open that traditionally has a separate Women's tournament?

Last edited:

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
??

unknownpro said:
Sorry, Drew pulled had the shot clock counting down on me...

Sorry, but I am not even close in understanding what that sentence means:grin:

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooladdict said:
Sorry, but I am not even close in understanding what that sentence means:grin:

I think he choked due to time constraint :grin:
Seriously though, I'm glad we are paying Jasmne the compliment of not dogging her on any big-time miss. She has been under the microscope of her own doing and doing rather well considering all the gender induced pressure.:cool:

cuechick

Flys In the Kitchen
Silver Member
Da Bank said:
Jasmin needs to win a male major tournament like the US Open, etc. and she could easily do what Danica Patrick did for Indy racing. Jasmin is probably 2x as attractive as Danica.

Not that I find ANYTHING wrong with homosexuality at all, but the rumor I have heard is that Jasmin may or may not be homosexual. Does anyone know if there is truth to this?

I actually do know the answer to this, but do you seriously think you would have a shot with Jasmin if I told you she is straight? Does she become less attractive if she is not? As some one else mentioned, her gender is more of the topic than her playing. I'd hate to also see something as irrelevant as sexual preference do this as well.

She missed, because she is human. All pros miss, if they didn't, it would be pretty boring to watch. I watched a tape of a match between Efren & Earl, where Efren missed a ball in hand! I have never forgotten it and it actually makes me feel a bit better when I do that.

IMO, Jasmin could be the best thing for pool since The Hustler was released in the 60's. She is beautiful and talented and fearless and that mix will one day make her legendary.

Last edited: