Why didn't more players play in the one pocket at the EXPO?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They aren't entirely forced to pick, but the Expo's policy of insisting that a player must forfeit a match if two are scheduled for the same time no doubt does play a part in the players' decisions.

The issue is at least partly logistical. The Expo is much shorter than, say, the DCC and they have to get both events in. It would be a real scheduling issue to try to accommodate multiple entries (and deep runs) in both events.

Gideon

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Expo

They aren't entirely forced to pick, but the Expo's policy of insisting that a player must forfeit a match if two are scheduled for the same time no doubt does play a part in the players' decisions.

The issue is at least partly logistical. The Expo is much shorter than, say, the DCC and they have to get both events in. It would be a real scheduling issue to try to accommodate multiple entries (and deep runs) in both events.

Gideon

Thanks… Much Appreciated!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but the Expo's policy of insisting that a player must forfeit a match if two are scheduled for the same time no doubt does play a part in the players' decisions.

Sounds like they have no idea how to run a Professional tournament. :confused:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Sounds like they have no idea how to run a Professional tournament. :confused:

Actually, the no nonsense approach is by far the best approach IMO.

Otherwise, you would have people playing in both events, screwing over the players who chose to play in only one event, when the player playing in one event, shows up on time, and finds out their match was rescheduled so that greedy pro pool player, could try to win as much money in both events.

That garbage has happened enough times in the past.
Be done with it.
The only problem that the current system causes, is that you have people buying entries into both events, and then forfeiting one, and taking up a spot where someone else who wanted to play, could have entered.

This isn't the derby with some master of the table hinged on who plays well in both.
Far from that.
This is a 4 day tournament.
Pick your favorite event, go play.

The double to single elimination garbage, that's an entirely different story.
But the whole, "let's give special treatment to everyone who wants to play in both, and screw over everyone who doesn't" has to stop.
All that does is make the situation worse, and enable players to be spoiled.
Like the players need more reasons to cry.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The title says it all… were the players forced to pick between the 10 ball and the one pocket?

The one pocket was full at 32 and there was a waiting list. Last year they opened up (to 48?) and it ran a little late.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one pocket was full at 32 and there was a waiting list. Last year they opened up (to 48?) and it ran a little late.

How'd you do? I know from being glued to the 3Cushion event, you were still standing on Sunday morning.

CBuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The title says it all… were the players forced to pick between the 10 ball and the one pocket?

It's usually full but only has 3 or 4 top players each year, this was the 3rd year i think. It has zero added money & actually takes 25 bucks from each entry fee, so it probably won't pull in very many top players scheduling conflict or not.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, the no nonsense approach is by far the best approach IMO.

Otherwise, you would have people playing in both events, screwing over the players who chose to play in only one event, when the player playing in one event, shows up on time, and finds out their match was rescheduled so that greedy pro pool player, could try to win as much money in both events.

That garbage has happened enough times in the past.
Be done with it.
The only problem that the current system causes, is that you have people buying entries into both events, and then forfeiting one, and taking up a spot where someone else who wanted to play, could have entered.

This isn't the derby with some master of the table hinged on who plays well in both.
Far from that.
This is a 4 day tournament.
Pick your favorite event, go play.

The double to single elimination garbage, that's an entirely different story.
But the whole, "let's give special treatment to everyone who wants to play in both, and screw over everyone who doesn't" has to stop.
All that does is make the situation worse, and enable players to be spoiled.
Like the players need more reasons to cry.

So you mean to tell me that the dumb a$$s should hold two tournaments, and poorly schedule the matches, and if a player has two scheduled at the same time because of the dumb a$$s running the tournament, they should have to forfeit one or the other?!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may have missed it but how many people were in the one pocket total? Have to congratulate one of my hometown boys ( Tommy Z ) taking second place in the one pocket, only Appleton could take him down so that's pretty sporty in my book! On a side note which I think is pretty funny ; Tommy Z is the dude I was calling out and talking smack about ( all in good fun ) two years ago when we were at the Expo lol! ☺

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The SBE brackets show that Bob Jewett finished in 5th-8th place. Good going, Bob!

Thanks. I was a little surprised by my finish since I hadn't played any one pocket since the last SBE. Somehow I managed to come from 0-3 behind in my third match to win 4-3. Then I lost in the last 4 on the winners' side.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
32 with a waiting list.

Cool thanks. Not sure if it was SBE or another tournament but I thought I recalled reading one pocket was going to limited to 48? Guess it was a different one. So did you end up having to play the guy I mentioned ( Tommy Z )?

PS - congrats on your great finish Bob!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool thanks. Not sure if it was SBE or another tournament but I thought I recalled reading one pocket was going to limited to 48? Guess it was a different one. So did you end up having to play the guy I mentioned ( Tommy Z )?

PS - congrats on your great finish Bob!

Tommy Z beat Warren Kiamco in his first match, lost his second, then won 5 in a row to get to the finals. Here is the chart: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0n1oo5rw64jk2d/Pro1Pocket.pdf?dl=0

As to your remembering a 1-Pkt. event for 48 players, that was the plan for the US Open One-Pocket Championship, which started today in CT. Unfortunately, they only got 16. Appleton had to drop out because of illness, and Orcollo got stuck in an airport.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
So you mean to tell me that the dumb a$$s should hold two tournaments, and poorly schedule the matches, and if a player has two scheduled at the same time because of the dumb a$$s running the tournament, they should have to forfeit one or the other?!

The answer is YES.

You really don't get it do you. LOL
This is 4 days.
Pick one event and stick with it.

What you are suggesting would never work.
Even if YOU were the one running and scheduling the event.
There is no way on earth you could do it in the given time frame. They barely get finished on time as is.

If you do what you are proposing, and a couple players do well in both, the tournaments wouldn't be over till Tuesday.

But that's ok.
You don't have to believe me.
You can go right ahead thinking that your superior scheduling skills, would be so amazing, that there would be nothing but smooth sailing.

Ain't happening though

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Here is the link to Super Billiards Expo on participating in multiple events.
http://superbilliardsexpo.com/multiple-events.html

Want to play in more than one event?

Players are welcome to play in more than one event at the Super Billiards Expo. Please be aware that it is possible that match times might conflict, especially in the later rounds. We do our best to avoid conflicts, but it is impossible to control in events of this size and in this timeframe.

IMPORTANT: If a conflict in match times does arise, you will be forced to choose one event to play and one to forfeit.

Here is the link to One Pocket Registration. It appeared the tournament sold out.
http://superbilliardsexpo.com/Pro-1Pocket-Registration.html

SOLD OUT - REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Thanks for trying to sign up, but unfortunately we had to turn off online registration and stop accepting entries. We have reached max capacity of 32 players for this event

We do not start waiting lists. Any entries that are currently in the mail but not yet received will be returned.

You're welcome to check with the Tournament Director before or at the Players Meeting to see if there are any last minute openings.

Sorry for those of you that did not get in -- and best of luck to those of you that did!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since they had all they wanted and a waiting list
it seems like they knew exactly what they were doing

gee joe your language is nasty enough and your ideas are shallow enough i think you would be great addition to the forum, i just wonder how long its going to take to get some feedback

could you please submit your resume of successful promotions you have done for pool

i am sure that Allen Hopkins in future planningcould use your advice and insight

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer is YES.

You really don't get it do you. LOL
This is 4 days.
Pick one event and stick with it.

What you are suggesting would never work.
Even if YOU were the one running and scheduling the event.
There is no way on earth you could do it in the given time frame. They barely get finished on time as is.

If you do what you are proposing, and a couple players do well in both, the tournaments wouldn't be over till Tuesday.

But that's ok.
You don't have to believe me.
You can go right ahead thinking that your superior scheduling skills, would be so amazing, that there would be nothing but smooth sailing.

Ain't happening though

Sounds like a hell of an event.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Tommy Z beat Warren Kiamco in his first match, lost his second, then won 5 in a row to get to the finals. Here is the chart: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0n1oo5rw64jk2d/Pro1Pocket.pdf?dl=0

As to your remembering a 1-Pkt. event for 48 players, that was the plan for the US Open One-Pocket Championship, which started today in CT. Unfortunately, they only got 16. Appleton had to drop out because of illness, and Orcollo got stuck in an airport.

i know right.......US open.....16 f'n players.....i wanted to go play very bad, but with slower work in the gulf, the money its costed to get that pool program i started up and going, expanding my familys shop an equipment.....and not long between the notice of the event and the actual event.....if i had known at the new year....could have been there no issues....... :(