Why do only women use chin on cue stick method?

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
When I was younger and could get down in that position, but with age, back problems, and furniture's disease it's hard to. At times when I'm feeling good and get down in that position I can play better.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I must be a woman then.

me too..... :)

Me three (see avatar).

Seriously though; there could be a number of reasons why there's a disparity between the women of the sport who do this, and of the men:

1. Many of the world-beater women come from a snooker background, and these fundamentals carry over. There aren't as many men from a snooker background that transfer over to pool (notable exceptions being Alex Pagulayan, Steve Davis, et al.). Dennis Orcullo seems to be an exception; he's not from a snooker background, but he does get very, very low, chin touching and face leaning forward and downwards (which brings the eyes even lower to the cue):

Dennis-3.jpg

2. Obviously, women are more naturally limber than men. Certain men might have to go through a quick stretching regimen to get down that low on the cue, and many are too lazy to do this.

3. Men being usually physically larger than women, have to either adopt a wide stance if they use a pool stance (i.e. back foot planted even further back), or else a classic snooker stance (i.e. square-shouldered to the shot, and bent over the table from the waist).

4. Men seem to be "anal retentive" and concerned about how they look when shooting pool ("gotta look cool"), so many of them will shun the snooker stance because they think it looks "pansy" or "fagot-ey" (i.e. that "pushed out" derriere). (I know I did, many years ago. That is until I watched a snooker pro just tear-up a 12-foot table, thwacking long-distance shots into the center of those itty-bitty pockets, and then I just *had* to learn the snooker fundamentals. So glad I did!)

Just some thoughts off the cuff,
-Sean

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
the reason I don't put my chin on the cue is because I get cross eyed when I get that low.

I had that problem for a long time, then one day I was trying out different stances to help me feel more stable - and I found one that allowed me to get chin-cue action - and feel well balanced, without forcing my neck into such a weird position. Eyes don't cross either. If you're serious about it, I would say try different leg positions, bends, points, etc...

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I'm 6'2" and hold my chin about 1" above the cue. It's comfortable to me and gives me a very good field of view.