Why do people want to go down in rank?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am confused as to why people want to go down in rank? Like in martial arts even if you are old and cant do certain things anymore you are still a black belt or grand-master or such. So why do people want this to happen in pool?

Like in martial arts I know of grand-masters who cant do certain things anymore and when they teach they do the simple stuff and when people do the drills they just do the simple ones kind of like playing a game with the master. I am confused why it should be different in pool? I mean no disrespect I am simply curious.

Thanks

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because, if their rating decreases, when playing in a handicapped game/match, they either give less weight to lower rated players or get more weight from higher rated players.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are sad embarrassing people.
A disappointment to the game.
Unwilling to do the work required to get better.

Truth is most don't play good enough to do it effectively under a watchful eye.

Operators are as much to blame as the players.

If your talking about the guy that posted about going from 7 to 6 I believe he made his point clearly and that type of guy is the exception.

I feel in those cases the operators should adjust yearly.

Martial arts has age brackets for competition.

Last edited:

DieselPete

Golf does it right. Score ten of a players last twenty performances to yield a handicap of the upper range of their ability, but also recognize that if people really do get worse, for whatever reason, they still want to compete in handicapped events. So the handicap is rolling and you aren’t stuck with a number years after you play at that level.

The big difference, as I see it, is that most golfers struggle to play, in tournaments, to their handicap because the handicap is artificially low due to ego, from giving putts, and/or because strict rules aren’t applied in the rounds that create the handicap.

in either case, I suppose, when the primary function of handicaps is for wagering, the incentive to cheat/sandbag is in direct opposition to the desire to have a more accurate handicap or to improve one’s handicap.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not asking about sandbagging I was asking about the guy who posted as a level 7 and wants to be a level 6. Or the guy who was in an accident and had a halo and such and needed to be a lower level why would these people want to go down a level? If I ever made it to a high level I would never want to leave.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are sad embarrassing people.
A disappointment to the game.
Unwilling to do the work required to get better.

Truth is most don't play good enough to do it effectively under a watchful eye.

Operators are as much to blame as the players.

If your talking about the guy that posted about going from 7 to 6 I believe he made his point clearly and that type of guy is the exception.

I feel in those cases the operators should adjust yearly.

Martial arts has age brackets for competition.
So just cause he is not good enough anymore he wants to go down? This does not make sense to me. Why would someone want a demotion even if they cant do the thing as good as they once did?

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If they can't perform at the level of their attained rank because of health or physical handicap reasons, they are hurting their team because of the team's match handicap. As mentioned, we are not talking about sand bagging. Sand baggers should be brought up 2 skill levels.

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am not seeking a "demotion;" I am seeking a proper identification. The reason I want to go down from a 7 to a 6 now is because I believe I have been playing like a 6 for an extended period of time. People in competition want to win not lose. If I have too high a rank for my current skill level I am unable to be competitive. Also if I lose most of the time, I feel like I am letting my team down and hurting their chances to make the playoffs, and that I should drop out of the league. Plus as a general matter it is not fun to lose.

And if I ever do get lowered to a 6 or wherever I should be ranked, I will always have the satisfaction of knowing I worked my butt off practicing, taking lessons, watching videos etc. to get up to a 7 and stay there for a number of years.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am confused as to why people want to go down in rank? Like in martial arts even if you are old and cant do certain things anymore you are still a black belt or grand-master or such. So why do people want this to happen in pool?

Like in martial arts I know of grand-masters who cant do certain things anymore and when they teach they do the simple stuff and when people do the drills they just do the simple ones kind of like playing a game with the master. I am confused why it should be different in pool? I mean no disrespect I am simply curious.

Thanks
I was in a car wreck in Sept of '18. Destroyed my left shoulder. My range of motion is at about 85% so I no longer
can play at what I was ranked in APA, 7 in 9 ball and 6 in 8 ball.
I'm right handed so I need to stretch my left arm out and it won't go, see my avatar how my left is
out-stretched?
Here's another scenario; you're ranked a 7/7 in APA, you go go war and lose an arm. Come back and you're still a 7/7, although you now have to play one-handed or some sort of mechanical bridge. Capish?

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So just cause he is not good enough anymore he wants to go down? This does not make sense to me. Why would someone want a demotion even if they cant do the thing as good as they once did?
As we age so too does our game. Top speed can only be played for 10-15 years if we are lucky.

Same reason for a senior pga or age division in jujitsu.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not asking about sandbagging I was asking about the guy who posted as a level 7 and wants to be a level 6. Or the guy who was in an accident and had a halo and such and needed to be a lower level why would these people want to go down a level? If I ever made it to a high level I would never want to leave.
Seriously, why do you think???? Really need to ask??

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Go ask those people and stop with the stupid threads Justin

jshaw

Registered
They want to beat up on lesser skilled players rather than compete against players of their own caliber.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not seeking a "demotion;" I am seeking a proper identification. The reason I want to go down from a 7 to a 6 now is because I believe I have been playing like a 6 for an extended period of time. People in competition want to win not lose. If I have too high a rank for my current skill level I am unable to be competitive. Also if I lose most of the time, I feel like I am letting my team down and hurting their chances to make the playoffs, and that I should drop out of the league. Plus as a general matter it is not fun to lose.

And if I ever do get lowered to a 6 or wherever I should be ranked, I will always have the satisfaction of knowing I worked my butt off practicing, taking lessons, watching videos etc. to get up to a 7 and stay there for a number of years.
The team angle never would have occurred to me. But that makes sence.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As we age so too does our game. Top speed can only be played for 10-15 years if we are lucky.

Same reason for a senior pga or age division in jujitsu.
Someone gets it. As we age, we start to have medical problems we didn’t have 50 years ago. Back, eyesight, neck, knees, arthritis (I think everyone gets the picture) can affect how well we play the game. If I played at a given skill level years ago, why punish me and the team by keeping my SL artificially high? Makes no sense.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not seeking a "demotion;" I am seeking a proper identification. The reason I want to go down from a 7 to a 6 now is because I believe I have been playing like a 6 for an extended period of time.
To get this past the APA, you are going to have to legally change your name, and all your various IDs, and then enter the league as if you had never played.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least the title is clearer than 6s doing 7s. Uh, they wait on a rooftop till a seven walks by...

The ratings are as much a recruiting tool as a filing system. When is a player ever under obligation to play at top speed? Cars only go as fast as they go.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
If you are going to continue accusing a user of being another user, I am going to need some sort of proof.
He literally gave it away in another of his threads

Post 5, outed.