Why dont pro's ride the 9 and such?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am wondering why dont pros ride the 9 in 9 ball? Or do other wild and crazy hail Mary type shots?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To make the game more interesting.
This is truer than you know. THE thing in playing money pool is, guess what? Money. A good deal of play consists merely of not giving it away. Disabling your opponent is more reliable than firing at 'im. Makes for great horses and dull pool. That's the deal.
Take away the cash stakes, you still got the same mindset. WIN WIN WIN. All the cool stuff is showboating and makes you a fish/loser/pigeon/ham/hot dog/blah blah...
Pool jocks don't care about the finer aspects, creativity, difficult techniques, immaculate perfection, place more artistic qualities here [ ]. Even long thin cuts are a thing of the past. If you want to see your version of pool. DIY. Don't expect to get rich.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Riding the nine isn't usually the best path to victory at pro level.

Nonetheless, you do see it from time to time. In the just completed World Cup of Pool, Darren Appleton had to kick at a ball that was next to the nine. He recognized that it would be near impossible to design a safety from the position he faced, so he slammed the kick and, sure enough, the nine went into the side pocket. In a more famous spot, Mike Sigel stood at double hill vs Nick Varner in the US Open 9-ball final and, after a Varner miss of the nine ball, Mike was frozen to the nine. He opted to ride the nine, but he hit it so hard, he completely lost control of the cue ball and his chance to win the final evaporated.

That said, don't expect to see a pro ride the nine more than once in a blue moon. It's usually a bad idea.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Stu....Over the yrs, many times in match play I've done that, but only when I know I can park/hide whitey.
But remember, if you slop a ball in (not the nine) you must continue shooting and often your hooked.
A few times in match play I did a mid rack break shot.
An expression I created to explain that moment.

What is that?
Rarely after the break you'll have an open shot (usually a bar box) at the lowest ball but NO good/reliable safety is there and all the balls are in a cluster.
If I'm able to roll 4 or more balls at the same time, with allot of speed I will take that shot.
It's difficult to NOT make/slop a ball in, in this situation.
The break shot has allot of luck, but in this situation that does not come up often, this shot is even better than a break shot, for MANY reasons.
If you perceive a table from this perspective it will make sense.
Add up all the pocket openings X 6 that equals the length of one short rail length, which in reality makes me think how big of a pocket area there actually is on a bar box to slop a ball in.

Reactions: sjm

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
So I am wondering why dont pros ride the 9 in 9 ball? Or do other wild and crazy hail Mary type shots?
Because when you miss that 9 ball which will happen more often than you make it you may have just given your opponent an easy victory. Even at my low level (I can usually beat the 9 ball ghost on a bar box with BIH but rarely on my 9' table) I rarely take pot shots at the 9 unless all the balls are on the table and I dont have another shot.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At their level, percentage vs risk is everything on each shot. % of the shot or other shots available vs cue ball placement. Now factor in a combo, and that % goes up depending on shot. If the 9 is sitting in a pocket, then the risk is obviously lower.

Much better to go with the more educated decision, and yes that can include going after the 9 at times.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I knew of a really good player who, when matched against a beginner/intermediate player in a gambling match, would ride the nine a lot. He wanted to show he was "lucky" and kept the fish on the hook longer.

edit: if not riding the nine, it was pushing the nine close to a hole to set up the ride.

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Running out or playing safe is the better option. Why take 1 low percentage swing when you can take a bunch of high percentage "sure things"?

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Better players play the percentages. They have a better chance of running out rather than smashing it hoping for a fluke.

Lower skill players fluke more 9 balls in, but they lose a lot
High level rack-runner will win a lot more but being a mid-level player find it awfully painful to find a different table every time I step up to it. You can't plan on much 3-4 balls ahead when playing a smasher. :sick:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think that the pro does not want to hang the combo. How many times have someone tried to ride the 9 but hung it and allowed their opponent to easily win? The pros play the numbers and what is more probable. Plus if you can run out like that, you don't need to ride if you don't need to.