Why Is it Named Mosconi Cup?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I wouldn't worry about any of it. 1/2 the money you paid for that crappy live stream has gone to the queen and the pope gets his 10%.

Otherwise - they have no clue on when and how they can wipe their own asses.

Americans don't have this luxury. We've always been on our own.
The stream was great as was the commentary. Joey Gray was the big surprise, fantastic commentary!

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the expansion idea but to me it seams like Europe doesn't play by the rules. Maybe I'm missing something but Fedor Gorst is Russian if I'm not mistaken. How is he allowed to play on team Europe? And Kaci for example isn't European plus over the years their have been guys from India on team Europe. If Europe is going to reach out that far then we should be able to reach into all of North America / Canada or even the entire Americas.
Yeah. Add some Canadians and Mexicans to the team and then Europe will know they have a real match on their hands.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spelled Michaela wrong too. Shame on me. And you couldn't carry BH, aka Barry Hearn's brief case. Shame on you.

True but I'd be happy play him some 1pocket.

In any case, I could be wrong. I just recall thinking at the time that it was off (could have just been his accent, lol). As to the original question, I think it boils down to marketing. As another poster has pointed out, MF is really the most widely recognizable name in pool. But "The Minnesota Fats Cup" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Mosconi sounds better and is more respectable but as has also been pointed out in this thread, he hated 9ball. So like I said, I think it just boils down to marketing.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m interested in comparing the population total Team Europe is able to draw from vs the pop base of Team USA. If it dramatically favors Team Europe than maybe it could be justified to include Canada and Mexico

Geosnookery

I’m interested in comparing the population total Team Europe is able to draw from vs the pop base of Team USA. If it dramatically favors Team Europe than maybe it could be justified to include Canada and Mexico
The Mosconi Cup is named after an American, is an American billiards game played on American style tables.

Hint: the Americans were simply outplayed at their own game. No changes are necessary to ‘even the odds’. The USA just needs a better team. They are usually much better at Nine ball than this year’s performance.

True. however even that’s a stretch. 75% of the players in our leagues wouldn’t know the name Mosconi...they couldn’t pick the name out of a list of pasta dishes. Minnesota Fats is the only universal name associated with pool.

Get a decent sponsor and name it The Amazon Cup or the Apple Cup.

I truly don't think Willie would be happy about this event being named after him. He'd love it if it were a Straight Pool event but.... no bull.. he despised 9 Ball and said the game destroyed everything great about pool.

I don't agree with Willie on this... but it is what it is.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like the expansion idea but to me it seams like Europe doesn't play by the rules. Maybe I'm missing something but Fedor Gorst is Russian if I'm not mistaken. How is he allowed to play on team Europe? And Kaci for example isn't European plus over the years their have been guys from India on team Europe. If Europe is going to reach out that far then we should be able to reach into all of North America / Canada or even the entire Americas.
Little geography here...the most populated portion of Russia lies west of the Urals.....it’s Europe on that side.
Kaçi is Albanian....therefore European.
A British guy can have Indian ancestors.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Little geography here...the most populated portion of Russia lies west of the Urals.....it’s Europe on that side.
Kaçi is Albanian....therefore European.
A British guy can have Indian ancestors.
I hear you. I just want to come up with a way to have Alex on our team. Canada doesn't sound like too much to ask for.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I hear you. I just want to come up with a way to have Alex on our team. Canada doesn't sound like too much to ask for.
Since day one I said “Why not continent vs continent?
I felt that the Cup was a great way to spread pool world wide....it worked.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I recall that in 1994, when the Mosconi began, there was a Canadian player ranked in the world's top 20 named Claude Bernatchez. I saw him play on several occasions back then and he had plenty of game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I recall that in 1994, when the Mosconi began, there was a Canadian player ranked in the world's top 20 named Claude Bernatchez. I saw him play on several occasions back then and he had plenty of game.
Yeah, Claude was one of our secrets..played great snooker...but did other things for a living.
It was a Willards tournament in the early 90s where he came to the attention of the pool world...
...finished 5th / 6th in a 500+ field. Played that well since he was young.

Geosnookery

Spread pool worldwide?

Pool was spread wide long before the Mosconi Cup.

I played in Brazil, Russia, the UK, etc. long before the Mosconi Cup.
The Americans didn’t invent billiards. Even in recent times I’ve never played nine ball outside of the USA except for a couple times in Canada where ‘Pool’ Means 8 ball to 99% of the population.

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was no discussion of how unfair the MC format is in the last 2 years when USA won.

Now that they lost it becomes all this country versus continent stuff.

3 years ago when Europe won some people were screaming that Darren Appleton should be in the USA team because he lives there.

I wish you guys would make up your mind.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gorst is from the European side of Russia, and Kaci is from Albania, which is in Europe also. I presume the 'Indians' you refer to are Raj Hundal and Imran Majid, although both those players were born in England. Not everyone with an 'Indian' sounding name was born in India, just as I wouldn't presume that you are Hungarian.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Michaela Tabb​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And while the speech was, perhaps, inspirational to some, I think he called Flora by another name, though I could be mistaken -- I just recall, at the moment, being surprised and thinking it was incorrect. Not that I know anything about Mosconi so I could be wrong. oh, and BTW, if I recall correctly you were the one who took the picture of I and Michaela.

In any case, don't try so hard that it's so evident you want back into the MC commentating booth, Jay.

Lou
the suck up
is strong in this one
lol

Jump to navigationJump to search
“I” and Michaela? Really?...sometimes we see eye to eye...and sometimes we don’t....
...this is one of the times we don’t....:)

There was no discussion of how unfair the MC format is in the last 2 years when USA won.

Now that they lost it becomes all this country versus continent stuff.

3 years ago when Europe won some people were screaming that Darren Appleton should be in the USA team because he lives there.

I wish you guys would make up your mind.

There have always been discussions about improving the Mosconi Cup and it has improved over the years.

There has always been discussion about improving all aspects of pool and billiards, but overall it has stayed pretty dreadful compared to most sports and professional competitions.

If you want to succeed in ANYTHING (marriage, business, anything) you have to adapt, grow, change, evolve). We are the Kodak of the sports world.

There are reasons it hasn't progressed and one of the big ones is reflected on this forum.... Too many pool players are frightened of change and are argumentative, self-rightous hot-heads that purposely hold everyone and everything back. They failed so they keep the young players failing. The progressive people wind up shaking their heads and walking away saying, "OK --- Keep what's broken and maybe if we all pray the problems will magically go away." ////// The fact of the matter is: the conservative players DON'T WANT to make it better. They lived broke so they make sure everyone lives broke.

Last edited:
Hockey started with two Canadian teams on a frozen pond. If they hadn't evolved, grown, changed, added-to, expanded and progressed 4 people in Canada would've loved it. Doing what those 4 people wanted would've been a big mistake.

Pro baseball started with 6 teams in the Northeast US and some people tried to hold them back too.

Pro football was an exclusive activity in Ohio exactly 100 years ago and many people in Ohio didn't want to share their secret pastime.

Basketball started in the late 1800s by tossing fruit into a fruit-baskets. It was a way to make farming more entertaining and farmers didn't want to take it off the farm.

Dear Pool-World
Stop letting petrified, selfish conservative losers hold this sport, and its players, back.