Why Is it Named Mosconi Cup?

Willie hated 9 Ball and hammered the game most days of his life.
He didn't like how they took the discipline, grace and art of the sport and turned it into a quickie-masturbation session for hacks.

That's nothing to do with me. I love 9 Ball so rename it The Browning Cup!

LOL - Well if that's the case they should've named it Beer Cup.

CocoboloCowboy;6742644 said:

I own((e) you nothing grasshopper, as in my mind you are just another internet cocoaroach.

I am not a cocoroach!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
He didn't like how they took the discipline, grace and art of the sport and turned it into a quickie-masturbation session for hacks.

I often wondered this too. I guess because he was a famous player of yesteryear. He didn't like 9 ball.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Imagine Willie Mosconi falling in love with the 30 second clock, a loud alarm when time is almost up, sharking by those in attendance {this year was quiet), special rules for the break, no warm up on the playing table, changing object ball colors/scheme, and races to 5 to pocket 9 balls. I am not up on all the adjustments made, but they weren't to create an advantage for America. They were for hype.

The UK may have put together a superior team, but all the fine adjustments is enough for me to put off watching it and then watch it once at most. I watch such matches on mute. I read elsewhere about the knowledgeable commentators, but I am not impressed historically. Now someone like the departed Grady Mathews would be outstanding. Surely there are people with his talent and observational skills. I have yet to watch the 2018 or 2019 matches.

It would seem that straight pool would better represent the name Mosconi, than a short race of 9 balls. I like straight pool, and one pocket. Their outcomes favor the more skillful cueist.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
LOL - Well if that's the case they should've named it Beer Cup.

CocoboloCowboy;6742644 said:

I own((e) you nothing grasshopper, as in my mind you are just another internet cocoaroach.

I am not a cocoroach!
Did you really just try to correct the typing of Cocobolo Cowboy? You're in for a fruitless effort

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because calling it the “9-ball Willie Cup” would have sounded kind of silly and Earl Strickland wouldn’t let them use his name. :) He demanded they call him the Duke of Earl.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Pretty opinionated, for a brand new member. Occurs here all the time, for some reason.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
They have a name change planned but John needs another year or two to figure out the best way to monetize letting it be called the Schmidt Cup

Seriouly though, to most people...and you do want to reach out to the public...Mosconi and Minnesota Fats are the only recognizable names.

Sent from the future.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was in attendance at the BCA dinner in Vegas, I think 2013, when BH gave a speech about the MC and talked about speaking to Willie's widow to get her endorsement/blessing to call the whole thing the "Mosconi Cup."

I don't exactly recall his rationale but I seem to recall he called Flora by the wrong name during that speech. I could be wrong but I remember thinking at the time it made his speech kinda bogus. Anywhos, I got to hug Michaela Tabb before the dinner : -)

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was in attendance at the BCA dinner in Vegas, I think 2013, when BH gave a speech about the MC and talked about speaking to Willie's widow to get her endorsement/blessing to call the whole thing the "Mosconi Cup."

I don't exactly recall his rationale but I seem to recall he called Flora by the wrong name during that speech. I could be wrong but I remember thinking at the time it made his speech kinda bogus. Anywhos, I got to hug Micaela Tabb before the dinner : -)

Lou Figueroa
Not your best effort Lou. Barry Hearn gave an inspirational speech as he accepted his inclusion in the BIlliards Hall of Fame. He called Flora Mosconi by her correct name as well. And Michaela is spelled with a 'ch', not a 'c'.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not your best effort Lou. Barry Hearn gave an inspirational speech as he accepted his inclusion in the BIlliards Hall of Fame. He called Flora Mosconi by her correct name as well. And Mikaela is spelled with a 'k', not a 'c'.
LMAO.

Lou was a PAO.

He is allowed to skew the news in whatever direction suits his story.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not your best effort Lou. Barry Hearn gave an inspirational speech as he accepted his inclusion in the BIlliards Hall of Fame. He called Flora Mosconi by her correct name as well. And Mikaela is spelled with a 'k', not a 'c'.

Michaela Tabb​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And while the speech was, perhaps, inspirational to some, I think he called Flora by another name, though I could be mistaken -- I just recall, at the moment, being surprised and thinking it was incorrect. Not that I know anything about Mosconi so I could be wrong. oh, and BTW, if I recall correctly you were the one who took the picture.

In any case, don't try so hard that it's so evident you want back into the MC commentating booth, Jay.

Lou
the suck up
is strong in this one
lol

Jump to navigationJump to search

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Michaela Tabb​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't recall hearing that you were at the dinner.

Lou Figueroa
I've also reported this one

Jump to navigationJump to search
Reported what? That you were a PAO? Writers always write stories the way the want the audience to react. You saw it one way and Jay saw it another.

It is the same as the aiming threads. You see aiming one way and the CTE crowd sees it another. The aimer or audience determines which is correct.

There are way more differences of opinion in the Mosconi 626 thread and the Aiming Forum than there are in here.

Last edited:

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have a name change planned but John needs another year or two to figure out the best way to monetize letting it be called the Schmidt Cup

Seriouly though, to most people...and you do want to reach out to the public...Mosconi and Minnesota Fats are the only recognizable names.

Sent from the future.
You could have a womens version.

You could call it The Mrs Mosconi Cup

Geosnookery

Sent from the future.
True. however even that’s a stretch. 75% of the players in our leagues wouldn’t know the name Mosconi...they couldn’t pick the name out of a list of pasta dishes. Minnesota Fats is the only universal name associated with pool.