why is it too hard to find 17oz cue?

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I been looking into websites to buy a predator and I want it to be 17oz as a total weight with the shaft, I put that in the note because in the weight options the lowest option is 18oz, my question is why they don't start producing a 17 oz cues then also adding the option of choosing 17oz weight too?

I received an email that the p3 cannot go to 17oz, the lowest it goes is 18.5oz which is to me a surprise, what should I do now? I cancel the order, or anyone knows a no wrap cue that can go to 17oz? the revo itself is 4.2oz, so ya, 17oz is hard to get it seems.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are giong to need a butt that is lighter in weight than typical, has a wood-to-wood joint (so the balance point is not too far forward), and likely a shaft that is also lighter (CF or 11.5mm with a lot of taper) and no weight bolt. You might haave to have the butt bored out (deeper) to lighten up the butt.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Buy a cue that has a weight bolt....take the weight bolt out.
One guy showed me his BK....thought it was 19 ounce....it was 16...told him to get a weight bolt.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe average weight of radial Revos 12,4 and 11,8 is under 4 oz ... might be around 3,8-3,9 oz.
So you're looking for around 13,2 oz butt.
Here it is an example with one of the cues I'm finishing for a kid I coach.
The 29 inch butt itself is 433 gramms (15,28 oz). It has a brass pin 1,4 oz. 15,3 - 1,4 = 13,9 oz. Just a few details: it's built on a full length maple core ... so no weight added with A-joint, it has no weight bolt in it. The forearm and buttsleeve are leadwood which is pretty heavy exotic wood (average dried weight is around 76 lbs), the handle is satinwood (60-61 lbs).
So as I doubt Predator is using a lot of such weight exotics in their cues) ... I'm pretty sure it should not be a problem to get the butt with the weight bolts out with a weight you're looking for...
Joshua and Pia Fillers both mentioned they're playing with 17 oz cues. Pia plays with Revo, Josh with Z shaft. Both butts I believe Panthera special edition...
Good luck with your search).

Attachments

• rps20210107_024342.jpg
    rps20210107_024342.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 157

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I been looking into websites to buy a predator and I want it to be 17oz as a total weight with the shaft, I put that in the note because in the weight options the lowest option is 18oz, my question is why they don't start producing a 17 oz cues then also adding the option of choosing 17oz weight too?

I received an email that the p3 cannot go to 17oz, the lowest it goes is 18.5oz which is to me a surprise, what should I do now? I cancel the order, or anyone knows a no wrap cue that can go to 17oz? the revo itself is 4.2oz, so ya, 17oz is hard to get it seems.
Just cut and oz off the butt, reattach the bumper. I have a 17 oz cuetec I customized for my break cue. I went to Showcase Billiards in Denver, and they at that time had quite a few that weight. Clay is retired, not sure if the Biz is still there, but most likely is. Great man, great business, and Ernie Martinez started his career yrs ago making cues to eventually move on and do well.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last years of Brunswick they produced cues with what seems to be the Schmelke brass common joint that weighed under 17oz.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
17oz shouldn't be that hard. Don't know why that is.
I wanted a 14oz and simply ordered it.
Since then I've added 1.5oz. May add another 1/2oz. Maybe not.

I have the brother and sister now. Both butts 100% Maple but drilled. One you could call hollow.

Reason you're having problems is 99% of players want 18-20oz cues. Production cue makers are spending their time where they can make the most sales. Us outliers have to go custom.

9ballscorpion

You can get to 17 oz, or very close to that, with a much lighter shaft. Kielwood comes to mind, because they only weigh around 3oz. Then maybe get a cue with a thinner handle, like a Diveney sneaky style cue, and I bet he could make it around 17oz, with one of his Kielwood shafts.

I believe a cue maker could also core out an oz of wood from an 18oz cue, for example.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Call & talk to Seyberts & Predator directly about what you want.
I did exactly this, I even paid for the cue in seyberts with information that I need 17oz in the comment section, then they refunded the money because they said that P3 no wrap cue even if all weights removed is only 18.5oz with the revo CF, they checked one cue, they said they had so many p3 cues no wrap but they doubt any of them can go to 17oz, probably its a big task to ask them to try each one of them, I wont do this, but I gota keep looking around, I really wanted that black P3 no wrap, but need it to go to 17 oz.

anyway seyberts are nice to tell me that they couldn't find it, then refunded the money.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you could look to a 'straight rail' butt (made for carom small games) , then add a pool shaft. (17oz being an usual straight rail cue weight. but they're shorter, so you want a pool shaft...) for that, you need to check 1-the joint pin to be compatible 2-the collar diameter to be compatible ( usually , the diameter of a carom butt is 22.5mm at the collar , when pool is ofen around 21.4/21.5mm) .
a schuler straight rail butt could do the job IMHO .

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did exactly this, I even paid for the cue in seyberts with information that I need 17oz in the comment section, then they refunded the money because they said that P3 no wrap cue even if all weights removed is only 18.5oz with the revo CF, they checked one cue, they said they had so many p3 cues no wrap but they doubt any of them can go to 17oz, probably its a big task to ask them to try each one of them, I wont do this, but I gota keep looking around, I really wanted that black P3 no wrap, but need it to go to 17 oz.

anyway seyberts are nice to tell me that they couldn't find it, then refunded the money.
Does the butt absolutely have to be a P3?

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several woods or wood combinations that can easily get to 17oz, especially with lighter shafts, like torrefied maple. As mentioned above full length core, no A joint screw, light weight pin, etc.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To build around 13 oz butt is not a problem at all.
As you already noticed for a price of a P3 with Revo shaft you could get Schmelke cue with their shaft with some custom options so cf shaft matches the butt and the $$ left should be enough for buying any cf you want.
I see only bonuses in going this way...
If somebody does not care much about my needs when I'm willing to spend some $$ on what I need ... no problem I'm looking who else is out there and have some interest).

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just cut and oz off the butt, reattach the bumper. I have a 17 oz cuetec I customized for my break cue. I went to Showcase Billiards in Denver, and they at that time had quite a few that weight. Clay is retired, not sure if the Biz is still there, but most likely is. Great man, great business, and Ernie Martinez started his career yrs ago making cues to eventually move on and do well.
Think the store closed 10yrs ago.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Think the store closed 10yrs ago.
Thx, we're still great friends, he was an Exceptional person and on the BCA Board when it moved from IA to CO Spgs.

Another great business to deal with, Cornhusker Billiards I think in Lincoln NE.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was really looking to get a p3, but at this point I am open for suggestions but it has to be wrapless though.

I'm looking at schmelke as someone suggested you can customize it.
Call Goran at GO Customs. He will make you an all CF cue exactly to your specs. I love the cues he made for me.
Paul