why is there more deflection

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
when applying spin when using the bridge??
any tips on what to do??

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
when applying spin when using the bridge??
any tips on what to do??
The mere presence of the bridge doesn't change squirt - it's something the bridge causes you to do differently: stroke differently would be my first guess.

pj
chgo

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using the bridge it's almost impossible to use a level stroke.
You are hitting down on the cue ball and adding a little masse which causes the cue ball to squirt a little more.
I always try to use the lowest part of the bridge but many times we are bridging over balls and have to use the higher part of the bridge.
The main thing to remember is try not to do much with the cue ball when bridging just pocket the ball and move on.
I am not an instructor but have been playing for over 60 years and thats my take on the bridge.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speed is power

You either play a good speed or you do not. Makes everything easy? Watch and learn. What you see happening will happen over and over if you can master your speed.
Nick :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You are hitting down on the cue ball and adding a little masse which causes the cue ball to squirt a little more.
I agree the bridge can cause you to hit down on the cue ball, adding a little masse...

...but that causes the cue ball to swerve, which reduces the squirt effect.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's probably because your sighting is very different. In the normal stance, the shot looks right with squirt compensation. With the bridge, you see the actual line of the shot better and you aim with less compensation.

Try finding your pivot point for a particular shot and then use the bridge to shoot the shot. See if it looks right to you before the shots where it is right.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Try finding your pivot point for a particular shot and then use the bridge to shoot the shot. See if it looks right to you before the shots where it is right.
I like this advice. I think you can substitute "shot line" or "stick alignment" for "pivot point" if that's more clear.

pj
chgo