Why No 15 Ball Rotation Tournaments?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Myself and others on here have asked why the pros don't play 15 ball rotation in a few tournaments a year and never get an answer. Some say it's too long a game for TV...I say what TV?

I can see the promoters not wanting the tournament running too long. I believe with 3 game sets or/and round robin and a shot clock that a good format to get finished can be figured out.

No safties, BIH behind the string, spot balls, call shot would be a start I think. Or maybe PI rules. Johnnyt
 
True rotation never caught on here, and it does take a while. It involves keeping track of points and has some rules we're not used to. I'd watch it as a test of skill but I think it's true most spectators would find it dull. Hell, even serious pool fans might find it dull. there was a pretty good video of efren and busty playing, from accustats I believe.
 
True rotation never caught on here, and it does take a while. It involves keeping track of points and has some rules we're not used to. I'd watch it as a test of skill but I think it's true most spectators would find it dull. Hell, even serious pool fans might find it dull. there was a pretty good video of efren and busty playing, from accustats I believe.

I wonder what part of the game you consider dull. I really like playing 15 ball rotation and sometimes when there is a group, partners is fun too. If your a banger then it might be dull to watch, but there is a lot of strategy involved as well as using all the shots in pool. I own the exhibition dvd that busty and efren played at the derby and enjoy it very much. I too would like to see some sort of matchup of top player competing in 15 ball rotation, and I might even pay to watch ;)
 
Myself and others on here have asked why the pros don't play 15 ball rotation in a few tournaments a year and never get an answer. Some say it's too long a game for TV...I say what TV?

I can see the promoters not wanting the tournament running too long. I believe with 3 game sets or/and round robin and a shot clock that a good format to get finished can be figured out.

No safties, BIH behind the string, spot balls, call shot would be a start I think. Or maybe PI rules. Johnnyt

I agree with you I'd love to see some 15 ball rotation!
Either set of rules.
 
I wonder what part of the game you consider dull. I really like playing 15 ball rotation and sometimes when there is a group, partners is fun too. If your a banger then it might be dull to watch, but there is a lot of strategy involved as well as using all the shots in pool. I own the exhibition dvd that busty and efren played at the derby and enjoy it very much. I too would like to see some sort of matchup of top player competing in 15 ball rotation, and I might even pay to watch ;)

haha, not a banger, but I could be better. I guess it depends on the level of skill of the players. If you get efren and the other top players, almost anything is interesting. I'd watch him play three ball. But, I think most people love to see lots of runouts, not safety battles. That's why there's always debate on long races vs. multiple shorter sets, or alternating break vs. winner breaks.

If you play 10b on a tough table, even pros don't always get out. When you add 5 more balls, runouts become rare. For some this will be more interesting, but for many it will just feel slow.
 
Rotation gets no respect. I think it should be played more often, and by the pros. I don't see how it can be dull; One-Pocket (though I like it) can get pretty dull if it's nothing but a safety battle.

The thing about Rotation that's attractive is precisely what nobody wants to do; keep score. Every ball is 'worth' something, not just final ball as in 9-Ball & 10-Ball, etc.

Just like 1P it requires as much shot creativity and getting out of jams and has a distinct beginning, middle, end. It's not another connect the dots run-out game. Why 10-Ball is developing and becoming popular other than a need to have players call shots is beyond me. Just make tournament 9-Ball call shot. But I'm not here to bash 10-Ball.

If Rotation is good enough for Efren, it's good enough for the rest of us! I vote to bring it back from the dead.
 
Back
Top