Why not have our mosconi cup team practice the format against other top players?

damianauto

vincentvega
Just a thought, but if our team is set early enough in advance, why not set up some exhibition "matches" using the exact same format. Team play, short races etc. For instance, if our team is Bergman, Woodward, Morris, Dechaine, SVB why not line them up in Mosconi format matches with former/future players i.e..Hatch, Archer, Saez, Frost, Thorpe, etc.
Maybe some of the Mosconi Cup sponsors would be interested in "hosting" and streaming these sessions, thereby bringing more attention and needed preparation for our team. Also, it would work as a gauge for future team selection.
A sort of "Welcome viewers to the 2017 Mosconi Cup team featuring ......versus.....for the first of 3 battles leading up to the 2017 Mosconi Cup Championship V Team Europe.."
I, for one, would love to watch these "lead up" matches.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Just a thought, but if our team is set early enough in advance, why not set up some exhibition "matches" using the exact same format. Team play, short races etc. For instance, if our team is Bergman, Woodward, Morris, Dechaine, SVB why not line them up in Mosconi format matches with former/future players i.e..Hatch, Archer, Saez, Frost, Thorpe, etc.
Maybe some of the Mosconi Cup sponsors would be interested in "hosting" and streaming these sessions, thereby bringing more attention and needed preparation for our team. Also, it would work as a gauge for future team selection.
A sort of "Welcome viewers to the 2017 Mosconi Cup team featuring ......versus.....for the first of 3 battles leading up to the 2017 Mosconi Cup Championship V Team Europe.."
I, for one, would love to watch these "lead up" matches.

I think they should be matched up against the cream of the regional tour systems, at very least against the Joss All-Stars and the Mezz Tour All Stars, with players on Team USA that play those tours eliminated from consideration.

For example a Mosconi match against these five Joss Tour players (Jeremy Sossei, Tom D'Alfonso, Ron Casanzio, Nelson Oliviera, Earl Srickland) would be a good test for training purposes.

That means the team would have to travel to the Northeast to play against five players that live in the Northeast. The logistics should work.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
It's all well and good but where is the travel money gonna come from. Pool players aren't rich -- I know that this isn't news to you. After they spend $25,000 or more for the year traveling around to gain the MC points, and then fit in trying to earn enough to get from one week to another in playing in regional events that they may dominate, I don't see them taking time off to go play a practice matchup. Especially when the team isn't announced until one month prior to the actual MC.

Someone suggested a gofundme page. Maybe that is the answer. I have seen worse uses for the gofundme page.

I know Mark Wilson has tried and tried to get a legitimate sponsor for the team. He is looking bigger than something that would put $500 or $1000 into a player's pocket. Unfortunately no company has stepped up.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea, but who is willing to implement it?
Having posted here a couple of years now, one thing I've learned and that is if it don't pay, no-one will show :thumbup:

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's called promotion. What pro pool players must understand if they expect to make a livelihood out of pool, is that like all other professional sports, you are in the entertainment business. No pro sport making good money with TV exposure exists for the hardcore, or the purists. It's for the casuals, the cross over appeal. It's why you get terms like "6th or 12th man". Audience participation.

There are some that look down on an event like MC because of the structure and format, but you only have to look at the size of the audience, television exposure, the players vying for a position to see that while maybe not perfect, there is a winning formula in there.

It's hard to say what could work, but most don't really try either. Not sure why it's all expected to come easy. Nothing worth it ever does.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It would probably really help if the team could be named by April or May (or sooner) and have them play some Mosconi type prep events before hand.
I would envision some kind of tour matching up against the best regional players from four or five places around the country finishing up in late October
or early November with a Mosconi type event against other Pro players - Mosconi veterans or an all rookie team of pros. Gives the country a chance to
get involved, gives the team some significant time together.

Now then, how to fund this...........

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they should be matched up against the cream of the regional tour systems, at very least against the Joss All-Stars and the Mezz Tour All Stars, with players on Team USA that play those tours eliminated from consideration.

For example a Mosconi match against these five Joss Tour players (Jeremy Sossei, Tom D'Alfonso, Ron Casanzio, Nelson Oliviera, Earl Srickland) would be a good test for training purposes.

That means the team would have to travel to the Northeast to play against five players that live in the Northeast. The logistics should work.

:sorry:

Just one problem with that...they might not ever win.

:eek: